Sponsored

Power Company Intentionally Turned Off Power On Hottest Day Of The Year - I Need My R1S To Have V2H

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
I agree, 400 volt is not the issue but it looks like they are redeveloping the entire stack. This is the article I was referencing.

Again I would love to be wrong but appears the odds are against it.
Thanks for the link.

So it seems they mention a bunch of components that are coming with 800v arch as being bi-directional, not that 400v cant do CCS V2H.

They say an onboard charger (which all EVs have), DC to DC converter (seems like that could be done externally as long as it's in the CCS spec voltage?), DC to AC converter (inverter, done externally for CCS V2H).

I think maybe it's a misreading that this implies current 400v arch can never do bi-directional. I think they were just enumerating the things the new 800v architecture will (also) have. This list would be the same for the current 400v I think.

But this article that supposedly quotes Rivian sounds pretty clear to me:
https://techcrunch.com/2022/04/28/are-bidirectional-ev-chargers-ready-for-the-home-market/

“All R1T and R1S vehicles have vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) and vehicle-to-home (V2H) capabilities. While bidirectional charging capabilities exist in Rivian vehicles, regulatory and other regional variables are a significant factor for potential future V2G applications.”

As far as I have seen Rivian announced they are working on a wall "charger" (EVSE) that will enable bi-directional charging (V2X over CCS DC pins). And I think they will be adding components in the trucks to do more, like a 240v outlet (like the lightning)

But I dont think it needs any of those things internally to do V2H. I havent be able to find anyone to say what about the current hardware would not work.

See a previous discussion here:
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/testing-the-rivian-as-a-‘backup’-power-source.4782/post-147240

And see here where RJ says this will be possible:
https://stories.rivian.com/lets-just-drive (scroll down to the longer video, discussion is around minute 14) Note he talks about a V2V box and a V2H box coming soon and describes them as being external.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

ONCOR strikes again I see. I thought Gov Abbott was supposed to get that fixed.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Fwiw I've been meaning to email CS to ask them very specifically about ccs v2h, but I keep forgetting. If I do I'll post here on rf

Edit, just sent this, we'll see what kind of response I get:

Hi there,

I was hoping to ask about the potential for vehicle to home (V2H) bi-direction charging over CCS.

Is there anything hardware-wise that would prevent the current R1Ts from being able to implement it someday?

Do (or will) the current R1T implement the ISO 15118-20:2022 specification?
https://www.iso.org/standard/77845.html

I know Rivian is working on a bi-directional wall changer (as mentioned in the Q4 shareholder letter), will that work with the current R1Ts being built and delivered today?

Will Rivian work with the bi-directional Wallbox Quasar 2 when it is released?
https://wallbox.com/en_us/quasar2-dc-charger

V2H is very important to a lot of customers as it is so much better for the environment for people to reuse these huge batteries.

Thank very, very much for your time!

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
As a Californian I would say we have had a pretty good run of grid management the last 10 years but when I first moved her in 2000 we had rolling blackouts. We may not have water soon, but at least we'll be able to make sure our trucks are always charged!
Apart from PG&E deferring maintenance to ensure value for shareholders, at the expense of a few cities burning to the ground... excellent grid management.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the link.

So it seems they mention a bunch of components that are coming with 800v arch as being bi-directional, not that 400v cant do CSS V2H.

They say an onboard charger (which all EVs have), DC to DC converter (seems like that could be done externally as long as it's in the CCS spec voltage?), DC to AC converter (inverter, done externally for CCS V2H).

I think maybe it's a misreading that this implies current 400v arch can never do bi-directional. I think they were just enumerating the things the new 800v architecture will (also) have. This list would be the same for the current 400v I think.

But this article that supposedly quotes Rivian sounds pretty clear to me:
https://techcrunch.com/2022/04/28/are-bidirectional-ev-chargers-ready-for-the-home-market/

“All R1T and R1S vehicles have vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) and vehicle-to-home (V2H) capabilities. While bidirectional charging capabilities exist in Rivian vehicles, regulatory and other regional variables are a significant factor for potential future V2G applications.”

As far as I have seen Rivian announced they are working on a wall "charger" (EVSE) that will enable bi-directional charging (V2X over CCS DC pins). And I think they will be adding components in the trucks to do more, like a 240v outlet (like the lightning)

But I dont think it needs any of those things internally to do V2H. I havent be able to find anyone to say what about the current hardware would not work.

See a previous discussion here:
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/testing-the-rivian-as-a-‘backup’-power-source.4782/post-147240

And see here where RJ says this will be possible:
https://stories.rivian.com/lets-just-drive (scroll down to the longer video, discussion is around minute 14) Note he talks about a V2V box and a V2H box coming soon and describes them as being external.
That is a good read, thanks. I hope they are correct and the R1S I get will be capable of doing V2H. Seems like if it is possible then they could devise a device to plug into it to remotely power a camper or campsite as well.

Emporia Energy said they hope to have a charger capable by 2023. I currently have their 48 amp chargers in my houses and the quality of the boxes is pretty nice. If they get to market I might dig more into it with Rivian to see if it can work.

I do not often root for myself to be wrong but really hope this is one time I am.

Sponsored

eSUV

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1S; and 2019 Jeep Trackhawk
The Houston area was under a heat advisory yesterday and temps got to 100 with feel like temps of well over 100. I was shocked when my power went out in the afternoon. I got my phone to go online and report the outage and got the response below. The power company decided to intentionally turn off my power because of “system reliability enhancement work”. I translate this to the grid was maxed out. Summer has just started and I am concerned about how many more times my power will be turned off by the power company.

The temp in my house got to 83 degrees after 40 minutes of no power. Thankfully, the power turned back on after 40 minutes. I was about to leave the house and take the dogs with me to Petsmart. I know there have been threads discussing V2H. To me, it is very important to have V2H and yesterday was just a reminder. I hope Rivian provides more details about being able to power the house with the R1 battery pack.

D43790FB-9BA0-4D5A-8776-B920F9D191FA.jpeg
we understand this is not an option for everyone, but wife works from home and for last two years we have experienced random blackouts and poor infrastructure because we live in old neighborhood…we bit the bullet and ordered whole house backup generac generator (even before considering solar/batteries, cause could not get a real quote to compare apples to apples from most local companies), and have luckily relied on it 3 times in last 6 months when power went for four or more hours. Not happy about it but the investment has paid off and would love it to be full solar and battery backup but cannot get a real quote yet local that is not ridiculous…sad.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I'm sorry this happened to you. This is a reason I might hold onto my F-150 hybrid even when I get my Lightning and R1S. As long as I have fuel I can power my house. I have solar at one of my properties and I intend to have it installed on the others. I have not found a battery system I like yet, however.

OP
OP
Longhorngirl

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
I'm sorry this happened to you. This is a reason I might hold onto my F-150 hybrid even when I get my Lightning and R1S. As long as I have fuel I can power my house. I have solar at one of my properties and I intend to have it installed on the others. I have not found a battery system I like yet, however.
Thanks. Summer officially starts June 21st. Crossing my fingers I don’t have any power outages this summer. With the extreme climate events we are seeing due to climate change, I think it is smart to have a backup solution if the power goes out.

During the winter storm last year, there were stories of people with F-150 hybrids using their trucks as generators.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/18/som...hybrids-to-power-homes-amid-winter-storm.html

OP
OP
Longhorngirl

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
we understand this is not an option for everyone, but wife works from home and for last two years we have experienced random blackouts and poor infrastructure because we live in old neighborhood…we bit the bullet and ordered whole house backup generac generator (even before considering solar/batteries, cause could not get a real quote to compare apples to apples from most local companies), and have luckily relied on it 3 times in last 6 months when power went for four or more hours. Not happy about it but the investment has paid off and would love it to be full solar and battery backup but cannot get a real quote yet local that is not ridiculous…sad.
I definitely think it makes sense to install a backup generator, if you can‘t do solar/powerwall. I had neighbors that were custom building a house during winter storm Uri. After the storm, they worked with their builders to install a generac generator. I think having a backup generator already installed is a big selling point when It comes time to sell your house, especially in Texas.

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

Agree! Heat waves, hurricanes, winter storms, etc... nature is tough in the Houston area!

I'm also looking into solar+battery backup, but hoping that V2H means a smaller home battery can be acquired. A 135kwh battery should be able to power a house for a good amount of time!

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Definitely hoping Rivian gets on the ball with this soon. Really hoping it's one reason Max Pack has been delayed, but we'll have to see about that. EE showed awhile back that it makes far more sense to do V2H/V2G rather than Powerwall.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Definitely hoping Rivian gets on the ball with this soon. Really hoping it's one reason Max Pack has been delayed, but we'll have to see about that. EE showed awhile back that it makes far more sense to do V2H/V2G rather than Powerwall.

That’s cool, but what happens if you’re away for a couple days with your truck/backup power supply, or you need to leave the house during the outage with your truck/power supply?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
+ 1
As someone with solar but also blessed with a reliable local grid, I have zero interest in a power wall device that "might" be used once every 3-4yrs and is basically a stack of batteries that will need $$$$ replacing in the future. Now if Rivian let me plug in and power my house (or even a small subset of circuits) from a vehicle I use every day with 240vac I would 100% be interested in the interface hardware.

Win.. win.. win?? 🤪

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Fwiw I've been meaning to email CS to ask them very specifically about ccs v2h, but I keep forgetting. If I do I'll post here on rf

Edit, just sent this, we'll see what kind of response I get:
Did you ever get a reply?

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Did you ever get a reply?
here:

Thank you so much for reaching out; I am always happy to help. I sincerely appreciate you being a member of the Rivian community.

These are great questions! We are developing a "vehicle-to-home" bidirectional charging capability. Once we have more insight on this, we will reach out to the community with an update.

Until then, feel free to reach out with any other questions or concerns. I hope you have a wonderful day and stay golden.
Sponsored

Last edited: