Sponsored

Musk's twitter problem a boon for Rivian sales? [***NO POLITICS***]

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I have F, it's not been so great over the last 12 months.....
long term I see value in F and RIVN. But of course my long term may not be yours. I'd much rather have either/both than Tesla going forward unless there is a leadership change at TSLA.
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
long term I see value in F and RIVN. But of course my long term may not be yours. I'd much rather have either/both than Tesla going forward unless there is a leadership change at TSLA.
You're probably right... I'm not dumping it or any of my EV stocks at this point because they're all down.

Agree on Tesla too, it's extremely volatile till Elon is removed one way or another.

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

If you still cling to the notion Musk being a genius businessman, I'd recommend reading the series of Matt Levine's Money Stuff column through the duration of the Twitter affair. Heck, read all the Money Stuff, it's a great column.

I for one am glad he's showing his ass to the world as it's really cut down on the fanboyism; even reddit's (largely) given up on the guy.

Almost certainly not the only or even major driver of TSLA dips, but for a guy who's gone out of his way to associate his own personal brand with the success of his investments, tainting that brand can't be good for investor confidence. People are probably seeing the round-the-clock frenzied tweets & increasingly deranged antics, and starting to wonder who's manning the ship at the other companies he's CEO of. Not Elon, now... was he ever? An interesting line of thought for investors.

And the companies that are all-in on pride flags & inclusion as revenue drivers will be taking a long look at future investments in Musky things.

All that said, as others have pointed out, TSLA has been hugely overvalued for a long time. I think it's just a part of a broader market correction 🤷 .

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

Dude, the guy owns it. Every paperclip. He can drive it into a ditch or sell it for parts. He essentially built a car company and a rocket to the moon or Mars from his efforts. I ain't no die hard fan, sure I have a flamethrower in my office (boring company), but shit. He can do whatever he wants and is pretty damn capable. I still smile when I drive our model 3.

He is shaking the shit out of Twitter. It's his to break.

We all live off scraps so go ahead and speculate about Tesla. There a reason banks have big buildings, they make out whether you win or lose.
This is going to devolve into another back and forth I suspect, which I don't want. So I'll say what I think are facts, throw in a bit of editorializing, and try not follow up much. But a bunch of banks are trying to get better than 60c on the dollar for the debt for Twitter, and Musk floundered to get people to perform on their commitments. The purchase did not go well for him, all in all. For sure, he can do what he wants, to some extent. I might be able to burn my own house down, but at some point my neighbors and insurance company would probably get interested in the event.

Engineers work hard to build things, and it's possible Elon's presence or leadership helped guide those engineers and builders who made those rockets, but as I said his absenteeism right now seems to give that notion the lie. He's obviously built a group of very smart, capable people around him at various places and it's working well - rockets, batteries, and cars. He's incredibly capable, for sure, at a bare minimum as a salesman. IMO jury's out on other skillsets, but he's sold a lot of dreams to folks and sold the stock that results to other folks. Very accomplished - and I mean that nonironically.

Well, if we are we talking Tesla (which he Founder'd - that is, he bought a fully operational car company and paid for the rights to the title of 'Founder', preventing the people who uh, founded the company from using the name) now.... I'm not in a position to know, but I suspect a good salesman like Musk might spin the narrative a bit if he happened to parlay an emerald mine mini-fortune into a banking/payments somewhat-fortune into a few new ventures.

At the end of the day, I'm a scrap eater like everyone else here(?), but my suspicion is that most oligarch types get there by letting it ride over and over and over again, though some seem to have the sense to stop at some point. You don't make it big if you don't trust yourself, if you're not willing to go all-in. In that sense, the difference between the Musks, Zucks and the Holmeses/Bankman-Frieds is only a matter of the number of dice rolls, the momentum of capital, and, eventually, inevitability.

I've learned that a lot of folks have a lot of respect for the guy, and I'm not out to attack anyone or malign their judgment here. But I don't agree with that worldview. For whatever it's worth.

I think Tesla Motors will continue to be successful in some form or another for a long time to come, and I think they changed the landscape of locomotion on Earth in a very real way.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

He's obviously built a group of very smart, capable people around him at various places and it's working well - rockets, batteries, and cars.
This is something that's overlooked a lot. Your choices for where you go to work if you're passionate about rockets, batteries, and especially EVs was pretty limited 10 years ago.

Rockets, still being pretty limited but the other two have basically exploded. Their talents and passion can be used at a significant amount of companies today. Tesla's brain drain is going to be a huge issue they are facing and I expect the Tesla board should be looking seriously at replacing Elon as CEO, because he isn't focusing on that job anymore.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Dude, the guy owns it. Every paperclip. He can drive it into a ditch or sell it for parts. He essentially built a car company and a rocket to the moon or Mars from his efforts. I ain't no die hard fan, sure I have a flamethrower in my office (boring company), but shit. He can do whatever he wants and is pretty damn capable. I still smile when I drive our model 3.

He is shaking the shit out of Twitter. It's his to break.

We all live off scraps so go ahead and speculate about Tesla. There a reason banks have big buildings, they make out whether you win or lose.
There are tons of people who will have you believe that PayPal, Tesla, Boring company,and SpaceX would all have happened without Elon. It’s awfully coincidental that all these companies took off with him at the helm yet he’s an idiot or a non factor.

Seems to me that people’s opinions are being driven by their feels instead of reality.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
This is something that's overlooked a lot. Your choices for where you go to work if you're passionate about rockets, batteries, and especially EVs was pretty limited 10 years ago.

Rockets, still being pretty limited but the other two have basically exploded. Their talents and passion can be used at a significant amount of companies today. Tesla's brain drain is going to be a huge issue they are facing and I expect the Tesla board should be looking seriously at replacing Elon as CEO, because he isn't focusing on that job anymore.
I agree with EVs and batteries somewhat. But there have been aerospace companies for over 100 years. Just because a couple of billionaires decided to get into the space industry doesn’t mean there wasn’t already a bunch of companies already doing it.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I agree with EVs and batteries somewhat. But there have been aerospace companies for over 100 years. Just because a couple of billionaires decided to get into the space industry doesn’t mean there wasn’t already a bunch of companies already doing it.
Yeah, but it's more about building something new

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Yeah, but it's more about building something new
Well I still disagree. Rockets aren’t new. Space X was just able to get the launch costs lower. It’s not like they have some awesome new rocket technology. It’s the same technology we have been using since the 50s.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Well I still disagree. Rockets aren’t new. Space X was just able to get the launch costs lower. It’s not like they have some awesome new rocket technology. It’s the same technology we have been using since the 50s.
We’ve been landing boosters vertically to reuse them since the 50’s? Really?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Their control systems aren't 50s tech. How many other companies have demonstrated reusable tech? You're looking at it from way too high of a level.

EVs have been around longer than gas cars. That doesn't mean a lot as far as current tech goes.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
We’ve been landing boosters vertically to reuse them since the 50’s? Really?
And what new technology does it take to land a booster? Nothing, just someone willing to crash a few And have billions of dollars to pay for it.

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Is Elon Musk's disastrous takeover of twitter going to be a detriment to Tesla sales and therefor helpful to rivian and other electric manufacturers? Seems likely...

https://www.thewrap.com/elon-musk-tesla-twitter-maga/
Who are the people that were in line to buy a Tesla that are getting out of line because Elon purchased Twitter?
The Model X is still around $125k, and there is still a 6 month wait to get one.
Is there a massive amount of Tesla buyers who never heard of Elon until he bought Twitter?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Their control systems aren't 50s tech. How many other companies have demonstrated reusable tech? You're looking at it from way too high of a level.

EVs have been around longer than gas cars. That doesn't mean a lot as far as current tech goes.
We landed on the moon with 50s tech. What space x did was create a market where there was none before. I’m not saying it’s easy to do it but we have landed stuff on other planets way before space x was around. And yes the control soft is much better than it was in the 50s but most aerospace companies have similar software.
Sponsored