First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I think any cabover that weighs less than 500lbs wouldn’t be a slide in but rather a shell, at least I would be surprised if you could build a slide-in that light.

For example I am talking a GFC, 4-Wheel Project M, Super Pacific, etc you can save a lot of weight when you reuse the truck bed floor, tailgate etc and most of those coming around 400-500lbs.
Yep - This is where it's at for a truck like this. Hoping to see one of those vendors get around to a Rivian fitment. Added advantages of being much more portable, letting you use the truck bed as a truck bed without fully removing the camper, no side/rear overhang, etc.

Would pair nicely with a spoiler/sharkfin delete...
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I'm just hoping that Rivian actually comes out with something that's better suited for vanlife than the R1S. If the RCV is only FWD (which so far, it is) it's a nonstarter for me.

*Edit: They do mention optional AWD in the literature now and I don't recall seeing that before.
I also hope Rivian gives that a try. When the best Winnebago can offer is 100 miles of range, the industry needs a shot in the arm.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a40302213/winnebago-e-rv-first-look/

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yep - This is where it's at for a truck like this. Hoping to see one of those vendors get around to a Rivian fitment. Added advantages of being much more portable, letting you use the truck bed as a truck bed without fully removing the camper, no side/rear overhang, etc.

Stay tuned… No sharkfin/spoiler delete but should have my pop-top before the spring season (hopefully before ski season is over).

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Stay tuned… No sharkfin/spoiler delete but should have my pop-top before the spring season (hopefully before ski season is over).
*subscribe*

Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I'm just hoping that Rivian actually comes out with something that's better suited for vanlife than the R1S. If the RCV is only FWD (which so far, it is) it's a nonstarter for me.

*Edit: They do mention optional AWD in the literature now and I don't recall seeing that before.
Put a large pack or max pack on the delivery van and sell it as Class B RV. Partner with Adaptiv® Modular Camper Van Conversion | Happier Camper for the inside. Sign me up as soon as possible.

Nice dream, but will have to wait at least until more vans are going out to Amazon...

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Put a large pack or max pack on the delivery van and sell it as Class B RV. Partner with Adaptiv® Modular Camper Van Conversion | Happier Camper for the inside. Sign me up as soon as possible.

Nice dream, but will have to wait at least until more vans are going out to Amazon...
I think by the end of this year, Rivian is going to be producing more of the vans than their Amazon contract requires of them. I think they are going to focus on other fleet customers first, but it's only a matter of time before they send them to an RV Upfitter.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I think by the end of this year, Rivian is going to be producing more of the vans than their Amazon contract requires of them. I think they are going to focus on other fleet customers first, but it's only a matter of time before they send them to an RV Upfitter.
To make these work as Class B, however, the battery pack needs to upgraded from the standard delivery pack (only about 100 miles).

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I could see converting one of the Amazon type vans into a Class B type RV and have that make sense. Putting on a slide in camper with the tiny size of the Rivian bed doesn't make any sense to me. So little utility, lose all your cargo space and capacity. I like the idea of a Rivian Class B RV, but trying to make the truck into an RV just requires too many sacrifices. A small trailer offers so much more at a fraction of the price.

Sponsored

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT

https://www.lonepeakoverland.com/
^ They're making one for Rivian. They've got an 'extra tall' option to clear the sharkfin, but with the delete, you could probably just go with their normal one. No deliveries just yet AFAIK, but I think they're getting close.

Edit, just looked, and it seems like it's not on their website yet, but they've been working with some of the R1T owners in Washington, so I know it's coming!

Last edited:

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Since the R1T manual clearly states that the truck is not designed for a slide-in camper, I'd be really careful and ask about voiding the warranty. Given the weight limitations (check your sticker, mine below), if you figure your weight, your passengers (including pets), clothing, bedding, food/water, cooking stuff...well, I can't see a slide-in working, even aside from the warranty issue. Do the old backpacking exercise of weighing everything you'd take...and quickly move on from this idea.

Sticker, full size spare, underbody shield:
Rivian R1T R1S Campluxe Cabover for Rivian R1T 1678759241966
Sponsored