Ordered my Ford Lighting today

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I'm pretty surprised by a fairly quick delivery of a vehicle I have not even seen in real life yet.

I expected it to be back logged for years.

Personally I don't like that it looks like any other truck, but I imagine it will have less service issues than Rivian. It also comes with Blue Cruise where Rivian simply promised something like it, but never delivered.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
More expensive than the Rivian, but at this point, I have more faith in Ford as a company....... Ordered today expected delivery in Spring 23.... Realistically probably summer of 23.... I originally like the Ford better anyway and talked myself into the Rivian..... I have now come full circle.....
Saw two today on the east coast at different EA chargers. Both were delivered in the last 3 months but the drivers really liked them. I trust opinions face to face more than on a forum.

Sponsored

shumdit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 and countingā€¦.
Clubs

I reserved in the first few minutes the opened up but only recently was given a chance to order. The price went up $15000 so I felt I couldnā€™t do it

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots moreā€¦
Occupation
Software Developer
Saw two today on the east coast at different EA chargers. Both were delivered in the last 3 months but the drivers really liked them. I trust opinions face to face more than on a forum.
I know I'm just another forum opinion, but I've had my Lightning for a month. It's great. Almost certainly converting my R1T max pack reservation to an R1S now.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

More expensive than the Rivian, but at this point, I have more faith in Ford as a company....... Ordered today expected delivery in Spring 23.... Realistically probably summer of 23.... I originally like the Ford better anyway and talked myself into the Rivian..... I have now come full circle.....
Officially canceling??.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Sorry to hear that. Lightning looks just like a regular F-150, R1T looks unique. Hope you enjoy it.

Sponsored

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
These are very different vehicles. If you like a truck feel and need the larger bed and space, go for Ford. If you are coming from car/SUV and like the feel of one, get the Rivian.

Tenn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RT1 Forest Green, Forest Edge
Occupation
Engineer Manager
I actually took delivery of my lightning a week before rivian called me out of the blue to tell me my r1t was ready. This was last July.

I decided to take both and choose which one to keep.

the ford is so damn smooth and quiet. Itā€™s like driving a train. Itā€™s also super spacious and blue cruise is a dream. Also all the plugs!

the rivian is definitely more sporty, driver oriented, off road capable and Lux.

it was a very hard choice as they ended up being super similar in price.

I kept my Rivian ultimately because it was easier to drive and park in the city and I like the company and the insane engineering and tech.

If I was in the burbs or owned a decent plot of land or worked with my hands, the ford wins. Itā€™s an actual tool, an energy supply and a very nice nice vehicle as well.
You canā€™t go wrong.

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
These are very different vehicles. If you like a truck feel and need the larger bed and space, go for Ford. If you are coming from car/SUV and like the feel of one, get the Rivian.
100% this.
I am still amazed by people who have an R1T (perhaps having come from ICE trucks) and kind of moan about the smaller bed, lack of towing capability, range etc. The Rivian is simply NOT a works truck and isn't trying to be one. If you're hauling stuff or work on a ranch DO NOT BUY A RIVIAN.
If, however, you're a moderately wealthy 'adventure seeker' who wants to look good in something new, different & cool (and you've probably owned Range Rovers, Volvo XC90's, Audis/BMWs in the past) and don't want to drive something the size of an Abrams Tank, then the R1T is more you.
I'm even betting that 80%+ of R1Ts won't ever go off road.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I ordered a Lightning Lariat but got my Rivian first. When the Lightning came in I already had my Rivian and so the Lightning felt massive in comparison. And for my particular use case, the smaller size and off road spec of the Rivian was more appealing.

But the the Lightning has an extra foot of bed space - which makes a big difference if you use your bed a lot. Also the 240 in the bed is a game changer for a work truck.

If I didn't live in the city and didn't like to go off-road, I might have considered it, but ultimately I declined delivery and let my dealer sell it to someone else.

Hope you enjoy it. It's a real workhorse.

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Can't blame you. I would be asking myself one big question before spending almost $100K on a truck, such as will Rivian be around in 5 or 10 years? I couldn't answer that with certainty but I could state that it's more likely Ford will be around than Rivian.
Sponsored