Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Last night my Rivian was doing it's typical "not wanting to charge" after my wall charger's schedule goes active. I usually just tell the wall charger to reboot and the Rivian will pick it up after that, but last night it didn't work.

Apparently what happened was the charge port decided to try to close on its own with the plug still in during the reboot, and the way the door rotates down it hits the latch and then made the truck think that it's actually unplugged. I forced the door to rotate back open slightly and all was good after that. (I didn't get a photo of this but I did find it hilarious at the time. Just need a feature that ejects the plug now)

This morning I unplugged and didn't bother trying to close it from outside since it was raining and that makes my touch sensor not seem to work, so was just going to let the truck close the door on its own when I got in the truck. Well, I guess it thought it was "closed" already and was staying in this position while I drove away. Had to tell the truck to open it again before it would close it. But now I'm left wondering if it would have let me drive away with the cord still attached after the door closing popped the latch.

Rivian R1T R1S Charge port door glitch 1675952023681
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You schedule it on your charger, not the truck itself? 🤔
Yes, our power is Time of Use and I have four EVs that might be plugged in at any given time.

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I used to use the charger schedule when we had our older Hyundai ioniq. But now just having the Rivian and Tesla, the onboard scheduler works better. Plus it was a song and dance to get the charger to make an exception.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
Last night my Rivian was doing it's typical "not wanting to charge" after my wall charger's schedule goes active. I usually just tell the wall charger to reboot and the Rivian will pick it up after that, but last night it didn't work.

Apparently what happened was the charge port decided to try to close on its own with the plug still in during the reboot, and the way the door rotates down it hits the latch and then made the truck think that it's actually unplugged. I forced the door to rotate back open slightly and all was good after that. (I didn't get a photo of this but I did find it hilarious at the time. Just need a feature that ejects the plug now)

This morning I unplugged and didn't bother trying to close it from outside since it was raining and that makes my touch sensor not seem to work, so was just going to let the truck close the door on its own when I got in the truck. Well, I guess it thought it was "closed" already and was staying in this position while I drove away. Had to tell the truck to open it again before it would close it. But now I'm left wondering if it would have let me drive away with the cord still attached after the door closing popped the latch.

1675952023681.png
This is entirely anecdotal - may or may not be related to your issues - but I had similar problem a few months ago. I'd come out in the AM and find port door had closed against the charging cable handle. I'd have to manually open it to get the cable handle released.

Ended up going to Service Center for new door sensor and corrupt module. I hope your issue is more easily solved.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I used to use the charger schedule when we had our older Hyundai ioniq. But now just having the Rivian and Tesla, the onboard scheduler works better. Plus it was a song and dance to get the charger to make an exception.
I'll use the Rivian scheduler if they ever include scheduling preconditioning and explicitly setting it up to finish charging at the time of departure. Super nice to have that work out in the winter. Tired of having to think about it every morning.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I’m pretty sure it would let you drive away since it doesn’t recognize that there is a cable plugged in. I experienced this on a broken ChargePoint station a few months back, it grabbed my finger between the charger and the door because it didn’t think that there was a cable plugged in so it was closing automatically.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

This is entirely anecdotal - may or may not be related to your issues - but I had similar problem a few months ago. I'd come out in the AM and find port door had closed against the charging cable handle. I'd have to manually open it to get the cable handle released.

Ended up going to Service Center for new door sensor and corrupt module. I hope your issue is more easily solved.
Rivian suggested they'd be able to take a closer look at the issues I've been having if I brought the truck in for service. I'm waiting for another big problem to crop up before doing that since they haven't been the quickest at turnaround time.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

@Dark-Fx I just experienced a slightly different charge port door issue. The door very slowly opened and only to 80% which just barely blocked the handle. I cycled it a few times and it finally got open enough. First time it closed and opened today it was working fine. Headed to the airport with it today so I'm glad I had the issue here not there.

Rivian R1T R1S Charge port door glitch PXL_20230304_164850532

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

@Dark-Fx I just experienced a slightly different charge port door issue. The door very slowly opened and only to 80% which just barely blocked the handle. I cycled it a few times and it finally got open enough. First time it closed and opened today it was working fine. Headed to the airport with it today so I'm glad I had the issue here not there.

PXL_20230304_164850532.jpg
If you pull out on it while letting it rotate it seems to come out okay, but it's clearly in a middle state where you don't get good control over it from the cabin. I'd like to see the control split between open and close if it isn't at either position.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

If you pull out on it while letting it rotate it seems to come out okay, but it's clearly in a middle state where you don't get good control over it from the cabin. I'd like to see the control split between open and close if it isn't at either position.
Good to know, I'll give that a try next time. I was trying to rotate it more than pulling.
Agreed, many things in this car would be improved by adding a A or B button not a single A/B.
You know, like HVAC hot/cold 🤦
Sponsored