Sponsored

Cybertruck Latest "Beta" Prototype gets up close look inside and out at Tesla Investor Day

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
Interesting...on Tesla's trade-in page they now list a CT as an option in the interested vehicles. Previously it only had the normal S3XY lineup. I don't know when it changed.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Interesting...on Tesla's trade-in page they now list a CT as an option in the interested vehicles. Previously it only had the normal S3XY lineup. I don't know when it changed.
I wouldnā€™t read too much into that. I found a place online that will allow me to trade in my Tacoma on one of these:

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
I wouldnā€™t read too much into that. I found a place online that will allow me to trade in my Tacoma on one of these:

I'm not sure there's much to read into or not, it's just there and wasn't previously. I mean unless there are still doubts whether the CT is actually coming, but I assume everyone is past that.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I'm not sure there's much to read into or not, it's just there and wasn't previously. I mean unless there are still doubts whether the CT is actually coming, but I assume everyone is past that.
I assume they will at least sell the 10 - 20 that are already made, even if itā€™s to a scrap yard In 5 years.

I think if they make more, 60% of the reservations will cancel when they find out how much it will cost. Another 20% will cancel when they find out how big it is. 5% will cancel after they learn it canā€™t actually function as a boat. Possibly another 5% will cancel after they realize they canā€™t drive a vehicle that makes them vomit every time they look at it in their driveway.

That leaves 10% that will probably be very happy with itā€¦ for better or worse.šŸ˜‰

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
5% will cancel after they learn it canā€™t actually function as a boat.
Hey! Don't even kid about walking back that feature!!

I'm already sourcing brushed stainless rod holders for my CT :D

Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I mean unless there are still doubts whether the CT is actually coming, but I assume everyone is past that.
The farce is strong in this one!

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I assume they will at least sell the 10 - 20 that are already made, even if itā€™s to a scrap yard In 5 years.

I think if they make more, 60% of the reservations will cancel when they find out how much it will cost. Another 20% will cancel when they find out how big it is. 5% will cancel after they learn it canā€™t actually function as a boat. Possibly another 5% will cancel after they realize they canā€™t drive a vehicle that makes them vomit every time they look at it in their driveway.

That leaves 10% that will probably be very happy with itā€¦ for better or worse.šŸ˜‰
Sounds about right

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

You missed the 2% that will cancel once they find out it does not have infinite towing mass and they can't tow a black hole.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Fortunately Tesla will also have a Cybertruck SUV for you guys.

The mistake in the Cybertruck is the addressable market which enormous including all pickups and 3 row SUVs. Tesla will sell out the factory they are building. But a large portion of the market will never buy.

CT has to be an enormous relief for Ford, GM and Rivian. The R1S will have many competitors but all will be in a similar situation of trying to ramp volume. A Ford Explorer type EV is probably 3-4 years off. The R1T looks like it will remain in a nice niche for a long time.

Rivian is also lucky that Toyota is stupid and hasn't make a serious attempt at an EV RAV4. I assume the R2 is that target buyer. But an EV RAV4 would also take some R1S buyers who decided that they would rather spend less.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
A lot of hate towards the Cybertruck as expected on a Rivian forum. I own an R1T but I also have a 2nd day CT reservation.

If the CT is priced around $80k I will be taking delivery and selling my Rivian. The super durable SS exterior is the clincher for me.

The SS exterior is virtually immune to door dings. I love the thought of no more waxing, detailing, ceramic coatings, paint touch upā€˜s, paint chips, PPF expenses, body corrosion, etc.

The four biggest unknowns at this point;
-revised MSRPā€™s
-trim levels
-exterior dimensions
-specifications

Call me weird but I find the futuristic exterior styling very appealing. I see a praying mantis in the photo below.

Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck Latest "Beta" Prototype gets up close look inside and out at Tesla Investor Day B796D449-EE67-4E59-A26F-B94527BE2350

Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck Latest "Beta" Prototype gets up close look inside and out at Tesla Investor Day 054E49AD-156C-4D10-B0C0-9143DE5584D0

Last edited:

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
I have a R1T and also a 2nd day CT reservation. Don't know what I will do when my number comes up, probably sometime in 2024

Thud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
A lot of hate towards the Cybertruck as expected on a Rivian forum.

I own an R1T but I also have a 2nd day Cybertruck reservation.

If the CT is priced around $75k I will be taking delivery and selling my Rivian. The super durable SS exterior is the clincher for me. No more waxing, detailing, ceramic coatings, paint touch upā€˜s, paint chips, PPF expenses, etc.

The there biggest unknowns at this point are the new MSRPā€™s, trim levels and exterior dimensions. Call me weird but I find the futuristic exterior styling very appealing. I see a praying mantis insect similarity to the photo below.

B796D449-EE67-4E59-A26F-B94527BE2350.jpeg

054E49AD-156C-4D10-B0C0-9143DE5584D0.jpeg
I also have both reservations, so it's TBD which one I go with depending on timing. I originally placed a reservation for Tri-motor CT with FSD. Hopefully I can drop FSD from my final config without affecting my position in line.

I also want a vehicle with an exterior that I don't have to care about... which means my R1T would just be silver. There are better looking colors (though silver is great in person) but it's a truck, so I don't want to have to worry about ceramic coatings, PPF, etc. Silver is the same color as dirt so it's the lowest maintenance.

The Rivian will actually fit in my garage though, CT's original dimensions definitely will not. Will need to see what the final dimensions are.

Also... Rivian's site states that new reservations will take delivery in fall of this year, so now I'm expecting my December 2022 reservation will be around the same timeframe. Cybertruck not likely until late 2024 or even 2025 for me (day 2 reservation).

Last edited:

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Anyone know what this thing weighs, I'm genuinly curious? It's got to be more than the hummer EV last I checked stainless steel and glass are not the lightest building materials.
There is no way Tesla will ever reach profitablity on a stainless steel truck with dual motors and 300 miles range for $75K let alone $40K.
IMO any Cyber Truck news release should only raise Rivians stock price unless Tesla states they are restarting the design from scratch.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Even if Tesla raises the Dual Motor $49,900 reveal price by 40% it will still be under $70k ($69,860).
Sponsored