Sponsored

Phone upgrade: any issues with PAAK phone as key or with app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm wondering if the variation might relate to the carrier you got it from since they all seem to load their phones with their own apps (crapware+). For what it's worth, got my S23Ultra via Xfinity (Comcast). Their wireless service is really cheap if you have them as your home internet provider.
My condolences.

kewlasu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LA Silver Adventure Large Pack 21"
Clubs

I got my new Samsung S23+ and transferred/copied everything i have from my S21+. I have not moved my sim card to my S23+ yet. I did pair the S23+ with my truck. Then i added it as a phone key so now both are showing as active phone keys in the app and the truck. Eventually I'll put my sim card to my new phone and keep the older one as backup.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I have a Fold 3 and I'm also having intermittent issues PAAK. I've had multiple conversations with Rivian about it and long story short is they are aware of an issue with Android 13 and the current version of their app. They are actively working on a fix for it now, but there is no ETA other than ....

s00n.

They recommend restarting bluetooth, restarting the phone, and also periodically readding the key. All of which are temporary solutions at best - their words, not mine.

This is so impactful for me, I've swapped back to my iPhone.

Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
So...from my previous post above, I thought I was good. This was not true. Was in the truck all day yesterday and PAAK never worked. Showed in the app and could lock/unlock via app but phone NOT recognized for driving and prox completely inop.

Deleted EVERYTHING Rivian related from the phone (app and all B/T info). Deleted phone from the truck. Rebooted phone, rebooted display in truck and started over. Installed the app, loaded PAAK into truck and did all B/T connections. Seemed to work fine last night (recognized for driving, locked when walking away and unlocked on return). Gonna try again today when I leave for work...we'll see.

BTW...S23 Ultra with Xfinity for provider (i.e. Verizon infrastructure in my area).

*** Update ***
Did NOT work. Truck won't proximity unlock or lock and does not recognize the phone as a key. Had to use the fob today...not a biggie but still frustrating when you've gotten used to PAAK working. I did open a ticket with service so we'll see...ugh...

Last edited:

cbaker7

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Porsche Boxster
Occupation
Government Affairs
The problem is, I don't know who to blame. Is it Samsung, or Rivian? Samsung you can't talk to anyone except for random customer service folks to help troubleshoot a problem, and Rivian just says they know its an issue. My fear is that I'll have this S23 Ultra for months before I can use it as a key again, if it even gets fixed because well, see above... is it Rivian or Samsung who is responsible? *insert shrug here*

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
The problem is, I don't know who to blame. Is it Samsung, or Rivian? Samsung you can't talk to anyone except for random customer service folks to help troubleshoot a problem, and Rivian just says they know its an issue. My fear is that I'll have this S23 Ultra for months before I can use it as a key again, if it even gets fixed because well, see above... is it Rivian or Samsung who is responsible? *insert shrug here*
You forgot to add Google to that list...

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Are you using it as a proximity key? Do the lock/unlock icons on the app work?
I was just mentioning to the other poster that Google adds another layer of confusion to the blame game (along with Rivian and Samsung).

FWIW, Paak with prox works great on my Galaxy Note10+ and have had no issues in nearly a year.

Sponsored

cbaker7

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Government Affairs
T

Are you using it as a proximity key? Do the lock/unlock icons on the app work?
Yes, but admittedly it is sometimes slow to respond. I had an S21 Ultra for 10 months before the S23 Ultra and it never skipped a beat. I was/ am using the proxy key.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
So...since the last software update on the truck (Ver 2023.6.2), installed last Friday, 3 Mar 23, my S23 Ultra works fine. Whatever Rivian changed in this update related to proximity, FOB and PAAK, worked for me. PAAK and FOB both work perfectly now.

Anyone else see their S23 issues go away? Hope you guys had improvement as well...

cbaker7

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Government Affairs
So...since the last software update on the truck (Ver 2023.6.2), installed last Friday, 3 Mar 23, my S23 Ultra works fine. Whatever Rivian changed in this update related to proximity, FOB and PAAK, worked for me. PAAK and FOB both work perfectly now.

Anyone else see their S23 issues go away? Hope you guys had improvement as well...
No improvement here, unfortunately. Did you by chance remove and re-add the phone and other things to get it to work, or just wake up one morning and realize it works great now?

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
No improvement here, unfortunately. Did you by chance remove and re-add the phone and other things to get it to work, or just wake up one morning and realize it works great now?
I had removed and re-added everything (PAAK from truck, app from phone, reset truck infotainment only, rebooted phone)...all done before the update with limited results (see post above). Then downloaded new truck SW and it worked. I think the thing for my phone was to reboot between each change. Hope this helps...

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
So...quick follow-up. My last post was a bit optimistic. My S23 Ultra still does not "consistently" work with the Rivian as PAAK. I firmly believe this is a phone issue and not the truck's fault. What I've found is that upon a reboot of the phone, PAAK works for ~1-3 hours. For instance, come home in the evening, PAAK works fine - next morning it does not. If I reboot, works fine immediately. Drive to work, come out at lunch - sometimes works, other times not. If I skip lunch, have to reboot at end of day for PAAK to work again.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled all aspects several times and even acquired a different S23 Ultra with same results. Also, this behavior happens with other BT related items such as a fitness band. Have to reboot phone for the fitness band to sync. Hopefully Samsung will have some kind of update to address but with their dismal customer service, who knows.

Regardless, I do not intend to pursue this at all with Rivian as I don't believe them to be at fault or able to fix. And if you're looking for a new phone, skip the S23 Ultra, at least for now...

Just my $.02...YMMV...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.