First Name
Praneeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I took off an vacation parking my Rivian R1T in my apartment parking complex and came back to a completely dead battery. The 12V battery looks to be dead as well completely. The car wouldn't unlock any doors or ports and nothing seems to work at all. It completely drained the full 40% to 0% within a month (FYI, I live in Bay Area where the winter is not too bad)

I have to access to a charging point in my parking spot and I've underestimated the much dreaded vampire drain that's plaguing the Rivians. I know I should have done something about it while I was away but I had to extend my trip for a week longer than what I have planned for due to some last minute family emergency and couldn't make any arrangement.

I'm kinda bummed to see this happen although I know about the vampire drain. Did any one have any similar experience happen to them?

I've reached out to service center and they suggested the easiest option is to tow the vehicle to them for them to work on it. The estimate for the service given as $1270 :( . Price have to pay for bad software optimization and vampire drain!

Please suggest if you have any comments and suggestions on this!

**Update**
I've got my R1T towed to the service center and both the 12 V had to be replaced. Total cost out of pocket ~$1000. I did trying to the service center and see what they could do about this issue but they said they cant do anything about it as it was within the expected vampire drain guideline. Also, did push for to add in a note to Software team on prioritizing a deep sleep mode on reddit. This thread was intended more to spread awareness on the do's and don'ts while away and Rivian can help by adding general awareness to customers on shipping mode/others to help alleviate the vampire drain when not in use. Appreciate all your comments on the thread although there were much heated convos on what was intended to. :)

Reddit feature request post for reference:
Sponsored

Last edited:

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I keep looking for a 12 volt manual battery charger that's not on some sort of cart wheels and costs almost $200. But that appears to be a very niche market. The ones I do find seem flimsy. And all the other DIY chargers want to see at least 2 or 3 volts to make sure it's connected correctly.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
OP.... sorry to hear you ran in to this issue, but I suspect many, many more people will end up in the same situation due to Rivian's lackadaisical attitude regarding getting the terrible vampire drain situation under control.

Did you try the "jump start" procedure outlined in the owners manual and in the Towing guide?

If that fails, you could always pop the Frunk manually (procedure also in the Towing guide) and charge the two 12V batteries manually.

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
I took off an vacation parking my Rivian R1T in my apartment parking complex and came back to a completely dead battery. The 12V battery looks to be dead as well completely. The car wouldn't unlock any doors or ports and nothing seems to work at all. It completely drained the full 40% to 0% within a month (FYI, I live in Bay Area where the winter is not too bad)

I have to access to a charging point in my parking spot and I've underestimated the much dreaded vampire drain that's plaguing the Rivians. I know I should have done something about it while I was away but I had to extend my trip for a week longer than what I have planned for due to some last minute family emergency and couldn't make any arrangement.

I'm kinda bummed to see this happen although I know about the vampire drain. Did any one have any similar experience happen to them?

I've reached out to service center and they suggested the easiest option is to tow the vehicle to them for them to work on it. The estimate for the service given as $1270 :( . Price have to pay for bad software optimization and vampire drain!

Please suggest if you have any comments and suggestions on this!
SUcks to hear this.

Does this mean that if you are parked in front of a charger, but your Rivian battery goes empty, you can't charge it by plugging it on...you have to send it to a SC?

Sponsored

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

SUcks to hear this.

Does this mean that if you are parked in front of a charger, but your Rivian battery goes empty, you can't charge it by plugging it on...you have to send it to a SC?
If the 12V battery is in fact dead, unfortunately you cannot receive AC power from an EVSE. 12V is required to initialize the J1772 connection and is presumably required to energize the contactors that enable HV to LV conversion.

I would recommend charging the 12V system via the technique outlined in the manual.

Last edited:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Could be an issue if you are not able to leave it plugged in while gone.

I do not normally plug in but if I know I’m going to be gone for a week or more I would charge the Tesla to 70%, set the charge limit to 50% and plug it in. That way if it got below 50% it would charge.

Hopefully Rivian will adjust the charge limits to be set manually instead of the 3 presets, the way it is now I would probably charge to 80%, set the limit to 70% and plug it in.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I am not sure at what main battery percentage they stop charging the 12V system to protect the main battery. I have heard it could be as high as 40% though. When I leave for longer trips I charge above 85%. I have just over 1% loss per day with my R1T. I wouldn't even think of leaving on vacation with it at 40%. Sorry to hear about your battery issue. Rivian should be much more clear about this.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Sorry to hear that OP. Like others, I recommend trying to jump the 12V via the hitch accessible connectors (see manual). If that gets you anywhere, immediately plug in the mobile charger (via extension cord if you have to).

This is what 1-4% drain looks like in practice. You may try to post your experience on Reddit, tagging wassym. It may get you a reprieve from the tow charge at best. At worst, it dares Rivian to say that your situation is “normal”.

Nsblifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hybrid Touareg
Is there an EV on the market that wouldn’t drain from 40% to 0 after sitting stationary for 4 weeks straight? Serious question.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Is there an EV on the market that wouldn’t drain from 40% to 0 after sitting stationary for 4 weeks straight? Serious question.
All of the other EVs I've owned will only lose maybe 1-2% over that period.

Nsblifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hybrid Touareg
Wow. Had no idea. That’s pretty bad.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
The longest I left my Model S was 17 days, it lost around 13 KW.

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Sorry to hear that OP. Like others, I recommend trying to jump the 12V via the hitch accessible connectors (see manual). If that gets you anywhere, immediately plug in the mobile charger (via extension cord if you have to).

This is what 1-4% drain looks like in practice. You may try to post your experience on Reddit, tagging wassym. It may get you a reprieve from the tow charge at best. At worst, it dares Rivian to say that your situation is “normal”.
OP definitely hop on Reddit and tag u/wassym. This type of drain is not only abysmal it’s frankly embarrassing for Rivian 🥴

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Wow. Had no idea. That’s pretty bad.
I'm guessing Rivian can't actually completely fix their issues without an architecture change.

The longest I left my Model S was 17 days, it lost around 13 KW.
I don't typically leave the full EVs undriven for that long. The polestar 2 in sub freezing weather for two weeks only lost 1%. The Volt will sit for a month or more and still reports being full when we get in it.
Sponsored

Last edited: