OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
OK. that one's totally on me. I hadn't seen TheDude's comments and a few of the ones that spun off of that. I made the bad assumption that the one I responded to was an escalation related to my comments. There was a reason I thought this thread should be shut down or at least cleaned up. I knew it was going to go sideways. I'm as guilty of taking it there as any, so I'll own up to contributing to it and commit to saying nothing else about speeding, radar detectors, etc. in this or other threads.

Trying to reset things a bit: I think we all agree that there are reasons that the removal of the 12V from under the dash sucks. For me the ideal would be USB-C with PD so it can charge tablets and other items with bigger batteries than a cell phone.

For anyone who needs other options: There are ways to get 12V or USB off the OBD-II port. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing. I think one of the big downsides is that the OBD-II port is always powered, which could result in some additional power drain. Some of the OBD-II to 12V female or to USB connector/cables do have switches that would help with that. Just have to remember to flip it off before leaving your vehicle somewhere unplugged for a long time.

Edit: I'm also going to self-censor and clean up or delete all of my posts in this thread before this one. Too little too late, but maybe it'll help a tiny bit in keeping this a friendly place for people to discuss Rivians and related topics.
what do you think about this? Will it constantly withdrawal power ? this is for the radar of course.

https://www.stickerfab.com/products...xqb8puWqlgKY-4at6HWV9pEusC8UXBof1swauWhAdse90
Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
what do you think about this? Will it constantly withdrawal power ? this is for the radar of course.

https://www.stickerfab.com/products...xqb8puWqlgKY-4at6HWV9pEusC8UXBof1swauWhAdse90
If you're running it from the armrest storage USB ports, I think those are only active while the Rivian is "on". I think that avoids any concern about vampire drain while the car is supposed to be "sleeping" for long periods. I don't know what the power requirements are for your particular device, but I would also double-check those to make sure the Rivian's USB-C ports are sufficient.

If you don't want to run a cable from the armrest all the way around to your dash, find one that uses OBD for the power. Unfortunately I don't see any on just a quick search that have an off switch. You're probably fine just making sure to turn off your device.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
The removal of the 12v plugs at both frunk and especially this cockpit location is maddening as Rivian has otherwise hidden the fuse boxes making them painful to access and utilize.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Er, ah, ahem, if any of youz happened to be that guy driving 55 mph in the fast lane in a 70 mph zone, please, for the love of gawd, GTFOMW!

Thank you.
On road trips, I set TACC at 5 over, sit in the right lane unless I need to pass someone.

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s

This looks very clunky. Just get a wire tap and use the power behind the front mirror. I don't have a good picture right now, but there was a thread in here that helped me do it and it was a 10 minute job in a parking lot. I found the taps on Amazon. It has the phone plug on one end and spades on the other end that you tap directly into an existing harness. It may run all the time (I'm honestly not sure if if ever shuts off but I also don't care), but it is such a small draw I haven't noticed any issue. I have tapped full time power on several prior ICE vehicles and never had a problem.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Wow. Now you are a criminal for having a radar detector. People on this forum is something else !!!
You are in specific states.

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
This looks very clunky. Just get a wire tap and use the power behind the front mirror. I don't have a good picture right now, but there was a thread in here that helped me do it and it was a 10 minute job in a parking lot. I found the taps on Amazon. It has the phone plug on one end and spades on the other end that you tap directly into an existing harness. It may run all the time (I'm honestly not sure if if ever shuts off but I also don't care), but it is such a small draw I haven't noticed any issue. I have tapped full time power on several prior ICE vehicles and never had a problem.
thanks. I found it on amazon. Is it easy to open the cover by the mirror?

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
thanks. I found it on amazon. Is it easy to open the cover by the mirror?
Yeah, I had no trouble using a 90 degree trim tool, which I would definitely recommend if you don't already have one. I would definitely recommend checking out the write up before hand if you haven't popped on of these covers off before, but it really was an easy job. This was actually the first time I used an actual wire tap, as in the past I have just paid extra for an inline plug tap, but I assumed that wouldn't exist for a long time, if ever, for the Rivian.

PaulPlacerCounty

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 and Subaru Outback
Occupation
Retired Attorney
Just took my R1s adventure delivery this past Friday with vin number 51XX and there is not a 12V plug underneath the dash. The only one I found is at the back by the air compressor. WTH. I need one for the radar detector in front !
When did Rivian send a notice generally to its support population and/or to their order holders telling them that the vehicle to be delivered is no longer the vehicle we ordered? I'm guessing the answer is never.

Yes, the 12v plug is a small thing. But it's a small thing Rivian represented to us the vehicle would have as part of the sale. I know they have the legal right to make changes, but how does this fit into having a chief of customer engagement . . . who refuses to engage unless the shit hits the fan?

Come on, Rivian. We're the people who like you and want to support you. Is this how you treat your friends? When you make unannounced changes like this it shows disrespect for our loyalty and suggests you think you've something to hide, or that you just don't care.

Wake up.

dilmorecg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Rivian R1T, '19 Raptor, '15 Porsche 911 GTS
I just checked yesteraday and my 40xx build has all 3 plugs: frunk, under dash and in the rear.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When did Rivian send a notice generally to its support population and/or to their order holders telling them that the vehicle to be delivered is no longer the vehicle we ordered? I'm guessing the answer is never.

Yes, the 12v plug is a small thing. But it's a small thing Rivian represented to us the vehicle would have as part of the sale. I know they have the legal right to make changes, but how does this fit into having a chief of customer engagement . . . who refuses to engage unless the shit hits the fan?

Come on, Rivian. We're the people who like you and want to support you. Is this how you treat your friends? When you make unannounced changes like this it shows disrespect for our loyalty and suggests you think you've something to hide, or that you just don't care.

Wake up.
Honest question: What would that communication look like that wouldn't be received even worse than a few random people on the internet noticing the removal of the 12V plugs? Is there a way for them to word that communication that wouldn't piss off every single customer, many of whom aren't on forums like this and would never have even considered using the 12V or noticed that it was listed as a feature at some point and then removed?

PaulPlacerCounty

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Attorney
Honest question: What would that communication look like that wouldn't be received even worse than a few random people on the internet noticing the removal of the 12V plugs? Is there a way for them to word that communication that wouldn't piss off every single customer, many of whom aren't on forums like this and would never have even considered using the 12V or noticed that it was listed as a feature at some point and then removed?
Your question raises others:
When you know you've done something that, if known to the customers, might upset your them, is your business model to not tell them and whistle past the graveyard in the hope or belief that ultimately those "few" who find out through word of mouth or from personal observation . . . like maybe every single purchaser one at a time over an extended period . . . will be less in number than everyone being told up front?

And is it better that those "few" who find out on their own will not only be upset at the change but feel that they were lied to by omission?

Or instead, how about just stepping up to the plate and saying here's a change we felt we needed to make and here's why?

If it's as minor as you suggest -- and I agree that the 12v plus is minor -- I doubt anyone is going to be so upset as being honestly informed that they'll cancel their order.

I think that having to find out about it through the grapevine instead of from the company does more to undermine confidence.

Finally -- and then I promise to shut up about this one 12v plug -- I think it more likely that Rivian leadership made this decision and just never paused to think one way or the other about customer reaction. No malice. No conspiracy.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
When you know you've done something that, if known to the customers, might upset your them, is your business model to not tell them and whistle past the graveyard in the hope or belief that ultimately those "few" who find out through word of mouth or from personal observation . . . like maybe every single purchaser one at a time over an extended period . . . will be less in number than everyone being told up front?

And is it better that those "few" who find out on their own will not only be upset at the change but feel that they were lied to by omission?

Or instead, how about just stepping up to the plate and saying here's a change we felt we needed to make and here's why?

If it's as minor as you suggest -- and I agree that the 12v plus is minor -- I doubt anyone is going to be so upset as being honestly informed that they'll cancel their order.

I think that having to find out about it through the grapevine instead of from the company does more to undermine confidence.

Finally -- and then I promise to shut up about this one 12v plug -- I think it more likely that Rivian leadership made this decision and just never paused to think one way or the other about customer reaction. No malice. No conspiracy.
At the very least, when this decision was made, someone should've updated the website and owners manuals to reflect the changes before the customers received their vehicles with said changes. Not sure why this is hard. These stupid little mistakes are what make me question Rivian's viability as a company. If they can't handle something this basic, what are they screwing up on a larger scale?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

At the very least, when this decision was made, someone should've updated the website and owners manuals to reflect the changes before the customers received their vehicles with said changes. Not sure why this is hard. These stupid little mistakes are what make me question Rivian's viability as a company. If they can't handle something this basic, what are they screwing up on a larger scale?
I think Speedrye is completely right. There's very little excuse for not updating the manuals and website to reflect the specific items that are changing. At least put a little asterisk next to them.

My question was really an honest one. I wasn't trying to suggest that Rivian should keep their mouth shut. It's just one of those communications I just don't know how to approach. I'm not sure it's a smart business decision to regularly send emails to all x0,000 preorder holders that say, "Hey, just so you know, we're removing the 12V plug from the frunk." And I don't mean that in any nefarious hide-the-ball and hope nobody complains kind of way. I just think that type of email would turn a lot of people off. Obviously not people like us who are focused on little detail, but a lot of customers would be really upset about emails like that. It could cause a huge strain on customer service, which I think would be a net loss for everyone. I'm really not sure what the right balance is.

PaulPlacerCounty

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Attorney
I think Speedrye is completely right. There's very little excuse for not updating the manuals and website to reflect the specific items that are changing. At least put a little asterisk next to them.

My question was really an honest one. I wasn't trying to suggest that Rivian should keep their mouth shut. It's just one of those communications I just don't know how to approach. I'm not sure it's a smart business decision to regularly send emails to all x0,000 preorder holders that say, "Hey, just so you know, we're removing the 12V plug from the frunk." And I don't mean that in any nefarious hide-the-ball and hope nobody complains kind of way. I just think that type of email would turn a lot of people off. Obviously not people like us who are focused on little detail, but a lot of customers would be really upset about emails like that. It could cause a huge strain on customer service, which I think would be a net loss for everyone. I'm really not sure what the right balance is.
You make a valid point, my friend. Sorry if my initial reply was heavy handed. I've always advised my clients to be up front with issues like this; better to be the first to speak of it than to be the last.
Sponsored