Sponsored

bobaurora

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
So does this mean we’ll pay for RAN now? Anyone seen rates or details on that?
Wonder if Rivian is setting up to begin allowing non Rivian charging at a fee? And probably also setting up for subscription or pay as you go based charging for rivian owners starting next year. Without doubt they probably want some revenue from RAN.
Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Hmmm fixed a “very rare” issue, which drained the 12V battery. 🤔
You have to assume that just about everyone who has experienced it has complained about it online - we're seeing a non representative sample. The vast overwhelming majority of Rivian owners are *NOT* experiencing it.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Wonder if Rivian is setting up to begin allowing non Rivian charging at a fee? And probably also setting up for subscription or pay as you go based charging for rivian owners starting next year. Without doubt they probably want some revenue from RAN.
They've said they'd do it - eventually. I don't see any reason for them to do it *NOW*, though.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I'm not surprised they released plug and charge for the Rivian Network, but there still isn't plug and charge for the EA network.
Yeah, I guess it's the sign that they're going to start charging to charge soon.

I'm just surprised to see it listed for the Waypoints - J1772 has no official mechanism for identifying the vehicle, and Waypoints were said to be outright free, not just "limited time" like RAN.

(Although searching now, I see no reference to Waypoints being free on Rivian's website any more.)

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
They've said they'd do it - eventually. I don't see any reason for them to do it *NOW*, though.
I agree, the Tesla Super Chargers took off once Tesla started charging for them. They had 790 chargers at the end of 2016, by the end of 2018 they virtually doubled to 1421, as of the end of 2022 they had 4,678.

Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I’d argue that the 12v fix is much more important.
Agree. I think for many of us, the dashboard camera functionality is practically meaningless.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I kind of like the charge port closing automatically. Oh well, I guess it won’t pinch anyone accidentally.
I had an issue where if I rebooted my third party charger for a firmware update, sometimes the truck would decide to close the port while the cable was still connected and the door is positioned just right to push down on the cable latch. When the charger was ready again it thought the cable was in the process of being removed so wouldn't charge.

Yeah, I guess it's the sign that they're going to start charging to charge soon.

I'm just surprised to see it listed for the Waypoints - J1772 has no official mechanism for identifying the vehicle, and Waypoints were said to be outright free, not just "limited time" like RAN.

(Although searching now, I see no reference to Waypoints being free on Rivian's website any more.)
J1772 can technically upgrade the connection to digital communications required but I never heard of it being done before.

"Plug and Charge" is not the ISO standard naming for the certificate based authentication, but it could just be whoever wrote the notes overlooked that or didn't know.

Sponsored

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager

It depends if RAN out-paces R1 deliveries. Hint: it wont.
Its too bad because if there were many RAN chargers being used by non-Rivian EVs, it would make for great advertising if free (and great revenue if not!).

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
I’m becoming more and more convinced that dash cam functionality won’t be released until they figure out how they’re going to monetize it.

I hope I’m wrong.
Honestly it would make sense to monetize it. It’s not a feature you’d expect to see on a car (like heated seats, etc) and a lot of people buy an aftermarket cam anyway. Chevy charges for their performance data recorder.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
We've confirmed that this issue is not related to the specific software version running in the vehicle. We're working to address the root issue and expect to mitigate it through a software patch by the end of this week.
It’s not software - it’s software.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I mean if 50 out of 30k vehicles have issue that's pretty rare, but you'll probably hear about every one of them.
Why would 50 vehicles exist out in the wild that are different from the other 29500 of them? Seems weird.
Sponsored