Sponsored

Milwaukee reservation holder here!

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I really do hope they get the WI SC off the ground soon. Otherwise I will probably do what I did here and just accumulate a bunch of tickets until it feels like quite a bit and get it taken care of, because that drive is annoying. I knew that going in, so it was the risk in general at the moment as an early adopter. Hopefully, I don't have any or many future ones to deal with for a while.
I’m in the “accumulating things” boat for now. I had to take my truck down for service due to a suspension issue (which ended up just being a broken connector) but I had to get a rental from Enterprise and it was a beaten down Mazda 3 that smelled like an ashtray. A one day service wouldn’t be bad for me because I have an office in Chicago but going back and forth multiple times is a pain.

When/if Wisconsin gets a service center I’ll finally have them take care of my door panels and B pillar which rattle like crazy.
Sponsored

Shill2801

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Forest Green
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Did you already have an order in and just pick up down there or went down and went through whole process same day?
We had initially preordered an R1S back in early May 2023, then went to Chicago a few weeks after that for a test drive. They only had the R1T available to test drive, which was fine, but we settled on the R1S as it would fit a bit better in our garage. Then when this 1 day sale event came up the thought of driving home with a vehicle was too much to pass up. :CWL: So while we were down there we canceled our R1S reservation to settled on the R1T. I'm happy with the switch, as it fits ok in the garage and I'll get use out of the truck bed almost immediately (up to this point I put a hitch basket on our Subaru Outback anytime I need to take yard brush/grass clippings to the municipal yard brush drop off. This will be much more convenient for that.)

We had an Volkswagen ID4 on preorder for 13 months before finally canceling it in April of this year.

Shill2801

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Forest Green
Occupation
IT
Clubs

3. There were just a crap ton of vehicles at Chicago. No idea how many were service versus future deliveries, but that place was full, both sides of the parking lot. They even had a few Rivian Service Vans. After finally getting to see the colors in real life (I took delivery of R1S without seeing one or test driving) I am VERY happy with the FG/FE combo I went with. The only color I didn't get to spy was Rivian Blue. All of them were great.
We went with the Forest Green exterior / Forest Edge interior on the one we picked up, it looks awesome in person.

Shill2801

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Forest Green
Occupation
IT
Clubs

So I took my R1S into service for the first time this weekend. Nothing urgent, but I just accumulated a handful of smaller things (i.e. rattle, gaps, etc.) to have them address, and I had a couple of observations I figured I would share for anyone who hasn't taken their Rivian in for service yet or is following this post and or doesn't have their Rivian yet.

1. CHI SC does have Saturday slots, but it's not published anywhere. Rivian main service can usually get a hold of the local SC and ask and then local center will call back. They are limited and not advertised, but that's how I managed a Saturday drop off. Driving from ~Milwaukee area to CHI during the week is just torture otherwise. Most of you probably already know this, but if you are not dealing with some urgent it might make life easier than driving during normal CHI traffic especially with the construction going on.

2. Chicago SC has only 6 loaners in their fleet right now, so rental should be the expectation. A person before me picked up a loaner, but had been waiting since Tuesday. Considering I'm 1.5 hours away I'm not making another stop down there if I don't have to. I ended up with a Nissan Frontier truck and let me tell you I've never missed a vehicle more in my life than I do my R1S now. Seriously, never experienced that before with any vehicle. Really goes to show that Rivian truly hit it out of the park with their first offerings. That said, that is the only downside of Saturday is the rental sites have basically nothing in on Saturday if you wanted to change to a different vehicle. Rivian put in a request for mid-size SUV or larger. I was hoping to switch to something more luxurious because it's Rivian's cost, but alas I could not without needing to go to another Enterprise location and frankly it wasn't worth it.

3. There were just a crap ton of vehicles at Chicago. No idea how many were service versus future deliveries, but that place was full, both sides of the parking lot. They even had a few Rivian Service Vans. After finally getting to see the colors in real life (I took delivery of R1S without seeing one or test driving) I am VERY happy with the FG/FE combo I went with. The only color I didn't get to spy was Rivian Blue. All of them were great.

4. I pressed the individual there on whether he knew of any timing of the WI SC opening. He did not, but expressed more than once that they cannot wait for it to open. Seems like they are fairly overburdened at the moment between deliveries and service tickets.

5. I wasn't given a clear timeline for service, but was told by the receiving individual is that it didn't seem like it would take too much effort and they should be finished by Saturday (1 week). That obviously works for me, because again driving down on Saturday morning is a lot easier than any time during the week. Since I didn't know this ahead of time you literally drive the rental back to the service center and leave it with them. They deal with the return to one of the local Enterprise rental locations. I did ask about them bringing the R1S back to me in WI versus driving down there. They indicated that is a possibility, but the flat bed would be a cost to me since it's drivable.

I really do hope they get the WI SC off the ground soon. Otherwise I will probably do what I did here and just accumulate a bunch of tickets until it feels like quite a bit and get it taken care of, because that drive is annoying. I knew that going in, so it was the risk in general at the moment as an early adopter. Hopefully, I don't have any or many future ones to deal with for a while.
Did you end up getting your R1S back yet?

I just put in a Service Request for a touch screen issue, so all of this info was quite helpful.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I just put in a Service Request for a touch screen issue, so all of this info was quite helpful.
What touch screen issue are you having?

Sponsored

Shill2801

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Forest Green
Occupation
IT
Clubs

What touch screen issue are you having?
See the attached video, it recognizes the touch (vehicle icon is highlighted) but won't open that menu. We also have issues when the keyboard is open where it'll want to do the optional letters (like e with the umlaut over the top). The support person we talked to said it sounded like the whole alignment might be off. Doing the infotainment reset didn't fix the issue.

mrodriguez

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Highlander, '23 R1S FG/FE/20" Dark
Occupation
Finance
Clubs

Unfortunately no. It's been 1.5 weeks right now. I called them on Friday of last week because I had not heard. Apparently, the rattle I identified they cannot seem to locate. They can reproduce it, but their initial assumption of something disconnected within the dash was wrong. Apparently, they had the entire dash taken apart and could still create the rattle. It's driving me bonkers to be without it probably 2+ weeks. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed I can swing down this Saturday to pick up, but I still haven't heard today and the checklist still has the noise/vibration issue unchecked, so not done. I check in daily to see if the battery % has dropped enough that it looks like they are doing something and I believe they are. Either way its frustrating without a loaner.

EDIT: BTW I'm also now terrified that they have to put so much back together I'm just going to end up with a new rattle or a different issue somewhere else.

mrodriguez

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Highlander, '23 R1S FG/FE/20" Dark
Occupation
Finance
Clubs

Picked up my R1S today after 2 weeks of service. The rattle was a pain apparently. Took them a while to find it. There were a few lines that were rattling against some HVAC component. There were also two hydraulic lines bouncing around under the drivers seat. I was also surprised to hear that they replaced the amplifier as part of a field service action. It’s probably just placebo but I did feel like the audio was a bit better but that’s probably just being away from it for 2 weeks. I’ve never missed a vehicle this much before. Glad I have it back. Side note I was told Milwaukee SC was supposed to open at the end of last year but got delayed. The CHI rep told me it’s likely open by early next year. So that’s good news.

Shill2801

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Forest Green
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Side note I was told Milwaukee SC was supposed to open at the end of last year but got delayed. The CHI rep told me it’s likely open by early next year. So that’s good news.
I was hoping it would be sooner than that, but hopefully I don't need to use a SC too often anyway 😄

Sponsored

Shill2801

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Forest Green
Occupation
IT
Clubs

So I took my R1S into service for the first time this weekend. Nothing urgent, but I just accumulated a handful of smaller things (i.e. rattle, gaps, etc.) to have them address, and I had a couple of observations I figured I would share for anyone who hasn't taken their Rivian in for service yet or is following this post and or doesn't have their Rivian yet.

1. CHI SC does have Saturday slots, but it's not published anywhere. Rivian main service can usually get a hold of the local SC and ask and then local center will call back. They are limited and not advertised, but that's how I managed a Saturday drop off. Driving from ~Milwaukee area to CHI during the week is just torture otherwise. Most of you probably already know this, but if you are not dealing with some urgent it might make life easier than driving during normal CHI traffic especially with the construction going on.

2. Chicago SC has only 6 loaners in their fleet right now, so rental should be the expectation. A person before me picked up a loaner, but had been waiting since Tuesday. Considering I'm 1.5 hours away I'm not making another stop down there if I don't have to. I ended up with a Nissan Frontier truck and let me tell you I've never missed a vehicle more in my life than I do my R1S now. Seriously, never experienced that before with any vehicle. Really goes to show that Rivian truly hit it out of the park with their first offerings. That said, that is the only downside of Saturday is the rental sites have basically nothing in on Saturday if you wanted to change to a different vehicle. Rivian put in a request for mid-size SUV or larger. I was hoping to switch to something more luxurious because it's Rivian's cost, but alas I could not without needing to go to another Enterprise location and frankly it wasn't worth it.

I dropped my R1T off yesterday, I think I'm going to aim for a Saturday pick up. Chicago is a mess right now with all the construction. And those two way roads around the Service Center are incredibly narrow with parking on both sides but only room for one way to go at a time.

A tip for anyone else dropping off a vehicle - don't park, just pull up to the garage door saying "Service Parking" and it'll open and you can pull your vehicle in. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do and pulled into a random spot in the lot, then had to move it again after I found a Rivian employee to talk to.

And my loaner is a VW Atlas and heewwwww boy do I miss my truck. That things accelerator is like stepping on a wet sponge.

Shill2801

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Forest Green
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I ended up going down on Friday to pick it up, didn't want to shoot my entire Saturday by driving to Chicago. Traffic wasn't too bad getting in, but terrible leaving the Service Center.

Screen was replaced, and everything is working better. Truck went from a B+ to an A, since everything is so touch screen dependent. And they knew I was going to be driving back up to the Milwaukee area, so they offered to let me top off a charge on their L3 charger, since it was down below 50% SOC when I got back down there. I hope I don't need to use the Chicago SC much in the future, but they did a great job on this one.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Side note I was told Milwaukee SC was supposed to open at the end of last year but got delayed. The CHI rep told me it’s likely open by early next year. So that’s good news.
Proposed WI location is in Menomonee Falls at N59W13500 Manhardt Drive. Very close to the Tesla service center.

Unfortunately there will be more delays. They need a zoning change approval and the village has delayed voting on the change for another month over issues such as noise and traffic. They don’t like how close the location is to two subdivisions (note that the physical building already exists). The service area isn’t air conditioned and there are concerns about noise from open bay doors.

Even if they get the zoning approval, there will still be public meetings and other approvals, so zoning isn’t a green light at all. Unfortunately Rivian wasn’t well prepared for the zoning commission meeting and didn’t do a great job conveying some things, like why they chose this location.

Also, they are only proposing three bays, which sounds like an awfully small service center to serve a huge chunk of the state.
Sponsored