Sponsored

I wish... Gen 1 get RAN charging for life

jambaman84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Since all us Gen1 owners won't be getting all the nice updates that the refresh is getting .. I wish Rivian would give gen1 owners free RAN charging for life. Kind of like what Tesla did with their early owners. I know it won't happen, but a man can dream!
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Your life or the vehicles?

Mandarin

First Name
Serg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22" R1T
In 2 years and 50k miles I used RAN 3 times, and all 3 times last week, when I was going from LA to TX, and surprisingly found 3 RAN chargers. 2 of those were in LA and 1 in TX.

Seems like in LA RAN is charging by the minute which makes it almost free ))))

Don't think I'll use it again in the next 2 years xD
Rivian R1T R1S I wish... Gen 1 get RAN charging for life RAN chargin
Rivian R1T R1S I wish... Gen 1 get RAN charging for life IMG_8955.JPG

OP
OP
jambaman84

jambaman84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

In 2 years and 50k miles I used RAN 3 times, and all 3 times last week, when I was going from LA to TX, and surprisingly found 3 RAN chargers. 2 of those were in LA and 1 in TX.

Seems like in LA RAN is charging by the minute which makes it almost free ))))

Don't think I'll use it again in the next 2 years xD
RAN charging.jpg
IMG_8955.JPG
Wow that's amazing! I've only used RAN once. While I agree, most rarely use it.. Which makes even more sense Rivian can do this gesture. Not like they will be losing a ton of money.. But for the one time a year road trip, this would be beneficial if you can stop at RAN chargers.

Sponsored

Osyras

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
not an EV
Clubs

My 2 cents...
This has been said before, we bough a gen1 knowing that refreshes would be coming out. All manufactures do this as they release a new model every year where they add or improve things (i.e Ford used to make you pay for their Sync infotainment and then one year...they didn't) - do you expect Ford or Chrysler to upgrade your car or give you free gas because they made things slightly better from one year to the next? Then why would you expect Rivian to do the same?

OP
OP
jambaman84

jambaman84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

My 2 cents...
This has been said before, we bough a gen1 knowing that refreshes would be coming out. All manufactures do this as they release a new model every year where they add or improve things (i.e Ford used to make you pay for their Sync infotainment and then one year...they didn't) - do you expect Ford or Chrysler to upgrade your car or give you free gas because they made things slightly better from one year to the next? Then why would you expect Rivian to do the same?
No I agree. Hence why I said I wish.. But I think most were thinking the refresh was just going to be a cost cutting thing and not have this many upgrades. But I am happy for Rivian and want them to be profitable. So they should do whatever they want to do that.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Since all us Gen1 owners won't be getting all the nice updates that the refresh is getting .. I wish Rivian would give gen1 owners free RAN charging for life. Kind of like what Tesla did with their early owners. I know it won't happen, but a man can dream!
We bought at pre-hike pricing and I think Rivian already gave us pre-hike buyers WAY more than most companies would.

I could see giving 1, 2, or 3 years of free RAN charging to the people who bought from Rivian at full price without any freebies or generous lease pricing. Those folks paid the most and are the only ones I could Rivian giving something as a gesture of goodwill.

OP
OP
jambaman84

jambaman84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

We bought at pre-hike pricing and I think Rivian already gave us pre-hike buyers WAY more than most companies would.

I could see giving 1, 2, or 3 years of free RAN charging to the people who bought from Rivian at full price without any freebies or generous lease pricing. Those folks paid the most and are the only ones I could Rivian giving something as a gesture of goodwill.
Yeah that's a good point. I missed the price hike by 20 days :( I pre ordered the R1S and R1T on March 20th, 2022.

Sponsored

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
Honestly the only thing that gen 1 owners deserve a response on is the misleading around autonomous capabilities. Now that we know the hardware is incompatible with their software and there’s no plans to adjust that, claims made about further improvements were absolutely false.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Yeah that's a good point. I missed the price hike by 20 days :( I pre ordered the R1S and R1T on March 20th, 2022.
Yeah, if I were an exec the folks in your situation (full price without freebies) would be the ones I’d want to entice to stay with the brand. You got a really cool vehicle and QM at then-full price will undoubtedly seem like a bargain compared to what the in-house QM will go for. Still, human nature is such that I could see you feeling a little left out.

GRC

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
still figuring it out
Clubs

I couldn't agree more with OP about this 'soft benefit' that will go a LOOOONG way with Gen1 early adopters/believers in Rivian. Low cost for Rivian and HIGH value (even if only used once or twice a year) for the early adopters....This is coming from a Canadian where we don't have even one of the promised RAN chargers but benefit when we drive south

MrMusAddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analyst
You know I think I finally figured out why I'm personally (arguably reasonably) irked about this whole Gen2 thing. For what it is (a new-featured full hardware refresh), it happened MUCH sooner than than anyone reasonably expected. I was on a waitlist for 2 years, and after BEGGING my guide to get me something close to my config, I finally got it. Then after only 7 more months, it's announced it's just fully obsolete (albeit there's still a commitment for support it when possible).

So, nearly 3 years of anticipation of owning a vehicle touted with future-proofing, expecting it'll get any & all current and future advertised features, only to be informed that the "manufacturing optimization" we've known about will actually result in an immediate feature fork. The epitome of an anticlimax.

What's worse is that it's already apparent that Gen1 is an afterthought on feature development. Case and point the ambient lighting; the wording Wassym used was "We'll look into a solution" when the community asked if it was coming to Gen1.

So with that, yeah I don't mind being a bit of a crybaby and saying "we deserve better". Free RAN charging would be a nice consolation, although they should learn from Tesla's offering and perhaps implement like a 100 kWh/mo limit, in order to prevent abuse.
Sponsored