Sponsored

New England Rivian Group

From Rhode Islands and Connecticut to Maine a Group for all of us to connect and discover our great region

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
RIVIAN CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views
DRIVIAN
Failed VT State Inspection at 1 year/20k miles. The inner face of the right rear brake rotor is rusty, which is a reason to fail vehicle inspection. The inspection was done at VT Tire and Service in Montpelier. Chelsea Service Center has me slotted in this week, but suggests this is not a warranty issue. They are recommending replacing brakes and rotors all around. My service contact said this has been a problem especially for Rivians in northern New England. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
Show full message
AdamEk
Just a hunch here. Mechanical brakes scrub off rust every time they’re used while moving (stationary holding removes no rust). If all of your braking has been covered by the regenerative braking, then the mechanical braking won’t be used enough to rub off rust.

On the other hand if only one wheel is showing the issue, then it’s something wrong with that wheel’s brake.
DRIVIAN
DRIVIAN
@AdamEk, I check the outside surface of the rotors from time to time because I primarily use regen for braking. All of the outward-facing rotor surfaces look good, and according to the inspection, only one of the inward-facing rotor surfaces looks bad, suggesting that it's not normal wear and tear. Even if it turns out to be related to not using the brakes enough, that seems like something Rivian should fix in an over-the-air update. I can't shut regen braking off, but Rivian could use the real brakes instead of regen every once in a while, like they do now when it's cold out, or you've charged to a full level.
Brookliner
Brookliner
My wife’s Taycan clears away rust with each new driving shutting off regen breaking for the first few hundred yards. Simple fix for Rivian that I’ve posted about here and elsewhere.
Riptonite
Riptonite
Talking with a service rep in VT, he noted that he's replaced a few sets of brakes at 20k miles, primarily due to rear outboard pad wear while there is a lot of life on the inboard pad. Apparently the rear calipers aren't particularly lubricated and seem to stick. This could also manifest as inboard rotor surface rust you noted.
I will pull mine apart, grease them up and note any uneven wear.
ElmTree
Any shot someone could post a YouTube video showing your technique? (I fear using grease near brakes.)
Actually this type of tip“should” be endorsed by Rivian for those of us in salty road country.