Sponsored

Hilbe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS P100D, Tesla MX 90D Unicorn, Rivian R1S
When did the cargo rail mounts in the trunk get cut? I swear we saw them on RJ's car.
Sponsored

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
Does this also mean that there is NOT a close button (or open button) on the power operated top half of the hatch? Using the fob/display/phone to close will be a PITA. Also, if there is no button on the top half of the hatch, how do you adjust its opening height. Pretty much EVERY vehicle that has a power operated hatch allows for height opening adjustment. These small misses are getting more and more disappointing ... same as lack of proximity key fob -- also a standard in vehicles for awhile now!
Is it possible that the button for the power top section is integrated into the handle of the release for the bottom tailgate? I do also see buttons near the air compressor on the left, but those don't seem to be in a good spot for hatch operation.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Owners Guide Manual Available! 📒 (August 22, 2022) R1S Rear

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
Heated blankets for her...

And I sleep in the nude 😉
My old girlfriend used to worry about what we'd do if someone broke into the house in the middle of the night (wasn't a great neighborhood in Chicago). I told her I'd just sleep naked, and she never really understood that reason.

Think about this. You're breaking into a house, and some dude jumps out of the bedroom doing a helicopter dick. First thing you do is GTFO.

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
It’s not the car is going to maintain multiple zones of air temperature in virtual bubbles around each seat. What multi-zone climate control does is direct air of specific temperatures to specific vents. So, as an example, if the vehicle is 78 degrees inside, the driver selected 70 and the front passenger selected 76 then the air delivered to the driver’s vents will be very cool while the air delivered to the passenger’s vents will be just slightly cool. When the cabin cools to 70, the air delivered to the driver will be slightly cool and the air delivered to the passenger will be warm. At all times the driver feels cooler than the passenger even though the air in the cabin isn’t exactly what either might like.

Some (most?) systems have sun load sensors which help to compensate for solar gain by directing cooler air to the side of the car which is getting more sun. Even without, the person on the hot side of the car can adjust their side cooler so they aren’t too warm in the sunny side. Because cars are moving all the time and the sun affects the people in the car differently, the multi-zone climate control can make a big difference in comfort.
How DARE you come barging in here, with this "well thought out rationale", your "fair and appropriate points", and your complete lack of passive aggressive snark?!!

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

My old girlfriend used to worry about what we'd do if someone broke into the house in the middle of the night (wasn't a great neighborhood in Chicago). I told her I'd just sleep naked, and she never really understood that reason.

Think about this. You're breaking into a house, and some dude jumps out of the bedroom doing a helicopter dick. First thing you do is GTFO.
I don't know, to me that sounds like you're opening yourself up for a Lorena Bobbit type scenario with that strategy.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Oh yes, f*** anyone for not wanting to lose features they e come to rely upon in other vehicles. Rubes!
I get it that people don't want to lose features they have in other vehicles, and that's fine. But there are some posts here that go way overboard in making a mountain out of a molehill. If those missing features are that important, then very simply, Rivian should not be the choice. Rivian's business model is not to clone every feature in every premium/luxury SUV to create the Swiss Army Knife of Electric SUVs (thank God!).

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

How DARE you come barging in here, with this "well thought out rationale", your "fair and appropriate points", and your complete lack of passive aggressive snark?!!
LOL, I’ll try not to let it happen again. :)

Also, I save all that snark for my friends who know me and won’t be confused or offended. I hope.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Is it possible that the button for the power top section is integrated into the handle of the release for the bottom tailgate? I do also see buttons near the air compressor on the left, but those don't seem to be in a good spot for hatch operation.

R1S Rear.jpg
That is an older prototype, so the newer is very likely different. Also, that handle is covered when the top is closed, so an operator for the power top wouldn't be very usable in that location.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I get it that people don't want to lose features they have in other vehicles, and that's fine. But there are some posts here that go way overboard in making a mountain out of a molehill. If those missing features are that important, then very simply, Rivian should not be the choice. Rivian's business model is not to clone every feature in every premium/luxury SUV to create the Swiss Army Knife of Electric SUVs (thank God!).
I think the problem is that the R1 products are so good that they incite elevated expectations in the features department.

Also, I think they did create the Swiss Army Knife of SUVs (ICE or EV) because of the mix of acceleration, utility, on road handling, off road capability, luxe interior, garage-friendly size, and ride comfort. Rivian may not be the best in any of those categories, certainly not all, but when viewed as a whole the R1 vehicles seem to be in a class of their own in my opinion. I’m a car guy and I can’t think of much out there with such a combo. The new Hummer EV, though I suspect that fitting it in a garage may be an issue for most.

Sponsored

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

Always give and take between vehicles regarding features and functions. What about all the cool things a Rivian can do that other vehicles cannot? If the omissions are really that egregious it isn’t smart to spend your hard earned $80k on something so disappointing.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I was hoping for information about the rear cargo area, but that was notably absent.

However, I did get info on the roof loads! Rivian is quoting 250lb dynamic/780lb static PER cross bar, not to exceed vehicle payload. With 3 crossbars that is 750lb dynamic —nuts! I wonder how long until they change that?

RivRev

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Agreed ... a complete miss for an $80000 vehicle! Even my $40000 Telluride has at least tri-zone HVAC control. Not a real big issue for me as I rarely have rear passengers, but understandably a feature that should be in this class of vehicle.
I just don't get why they felt it necessary to make it a screen. I would have preferred physical buttons (like pushing the light) for the lights and fan speed.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Here's a peak into the back of a production R1S.

IMG_20220504_192550~2.jpg
I really hope that that is a very early pre-production unit. The way the seats fold flat, loose looking carpeting as well as misalignment looks very sloppy.

Reactions: Guy

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
I really hope that that is a very early pre-production unit. The way the seats fold flat, loose looking carpeting as well as misalignment looks very sloppy.
I don't think that's "loose", as much as it is a flap that folds when the seats are up to help hide the crease.
Sponsored