Sponsored

Service Experience 7th (?) edition - Broken Subframe!

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

For reference. Some of the work items. Skipping a bunch of inspection and calibration items.

1679682274348.png

1679682376452.png

1679682429600.png

1679682456796.png

1679682476288.png
To their credit, they're going after it all. I've had many dealer experiences where I bring it in fully willing to pay for the work I need done, and they still miss half the list of to do's and whatever they did do, was surface level.
Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

For reference. Some of the work items. Skipping a bunch of inspection and calibration items.

1679682274348.png
That's wild they're replacing the rear axle disconnects too.

dsmithsalinas

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T & 2023 Polestar 2
Occupation
Product Manager
My truck had the subframe replaced as well. I took it in for a cracked windshield and mentioned a noise at break and acceleration- they looked into that and also my steering wheel would make a noise when turning it. They called me and said they needed to replace the subframe. Took them about 3 days once they had the part.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

My truck had the subframe replaced as well. I took it in for a cracked windshield and mentioned a noise at break and acceleration- they looked into that and also my steering wheel would make a noise when turning it. They called me and said they needed to replace the subframe. Took them about 3 days once they had the part.
It's disturbing that so many seem to be cracking subframes without abusing the trucks.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I have the creaking noises in my truck when turning at low speed etc When I took it in I did a drive with a tech. He mentioned that it could be the subframe needing to be replaced. To my suprise they called later that day and said my truck was ready and it was only the half shafts that needed work.

As you can guess, as soon as I drove it home I realized the noises were still there. So I expect that I'll have to take it back and have this repair done soon.

Thanks for your updates on the process.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Got my RB baby back today. All is repaired.

Only pending issue is they put my 21s on for me and the truck knows it has the 21s but my speedo and range still appear to be based on the 20s. So question to anyone that the SC changed your wheelset for you did that stuff work right out of the box or after a period?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Got my RB baby back today. All is repaired.

Only pending issue is they put my 21s on for me and the truck knows it has the 21s but my speedo and range still appear to be based on the 20s. So question to anyone that the SC changed your wheelset for you did that stuff work right out of the box or after a period?
No relevant experience to offer here but it almost sounds like multiple modules needed to be updated but not all were. Sounds like the infotainment graphics were updated but the computations affected by the actual tire diameter were not.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
It's disturbing that so many seem to be cracking subframes without abusing the trucks.
There have been signs they have a problem, or at least had, a problem with the subframes up to at least some point. Early units have been seen to not have markings on the welds and then later units have check marks, as if QC was added at some point, to closer inspect the weld integrity, in the subframes.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

No relevant experience to offer here but it almost sounds like multiple modules needed to be updated but not all were. Sounds like the infotainment graphics were updated but the computations affected by the actual tire diameter were not.
Thanks, that is kinda what I figured too. I called into service and they were not extremely helpful but i shall persevere :)

JC9

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Healthcare
I have my truck in Tualatin service center (Portland) for what I thought was routine issues, I had been putting a lot of these issues off because long wait times at Bellevue and convenience of taking my truck 3 hours to service.

List of issues:
- Recall
- Driver Seat Calibration
- Wheel vibration at 70mph
- The usual low speed tick/tock
- Occasional non-functioning exterior buttons
and a handful of other checks and issues that Rivian added on.

The first surprise came when they claimed that the wheel vibration was due to my tires being bad. I talked to the service manager (John) and explained to him they it has been doing this since my Alignment by the Bellevue Service center last summer (~13k miles ago) and that I had replaced the two front tires shortly after (~12k miles ago) and it has been doing it all the while. So we'll see. Told them no way I was buying another set of the Pirelli's especially if they are telling me I wore through 7 of them in 28k miles. I asked them if I brought in my extra set of 21's if they would calibrate my truck to the those tires, so tbd on that.

Regarding the tick/tock it sounds like they are replacing the rear drive shafts and the wheel bearings, so glad they are doing something there.

The biggest surprise is that apparently my rear sub-frame is cracked so they have to replace that too 😲 so curious has anyone else had this, is it common??

Final thoughts as usual the communication hasn't been great, the loaner (Enterprise rental Ford Ecosport) sucks and looks like I won't have my truck back until mid-next week at the earliest. Hopefully they at least solve most of these issues 🤞

Edit: I talked to the service manager again about the crack and he said mine was the second he had seen, I asked him if he thought it was something specific I had done (ie hard offroad driving) and he said no.

3/24 Update:
Update today from the service center. Going on 2 weeks without my truck. They are working on the rear subframe and the rear drive shaft replacements. Apparently they found some corroded parts when taking everything apart also mentioned the tech put replacing the rear dampers on the work order but wasn't sure of the details when I talked to him. I was briefly seeing a $3600 charge on my work order but was assured that work would be done under warranty.

Sounds like the further they dig the more issues they are finding on my truck and looks like the 1 year anniversary of my truck's delivery will be spent on a hoist in the shop. Looks like I'll be driving the Ecosport at least until the middle of next week... we'll see.

3/30 Update:
Got the truck back today. All is repaired. SC did install my 21s for me and the truck says it has them but appears my range and speedo are still based on the 20s :(
This is crazy. I’ve been having issues with my pano glass roof. Cracked after I placed some pressure on it during a car washing on a mild temp April NorCal day. Got it covered under warranty. Fast forward 6 months to rain and I get a leak through the sun visor arm. Eventually they determine it was the replacement pano glass roof so they replace. 2 weeks later, spontaneous crack appears on the pano roof.
I get it in for service, but have a 3rd vehicle this time so I dont need a rental and their communication sucks. 9 days later they install the glass but need to inspect the motor units and find that my subframe is cracked.
Another week at least for parts and repairs and hoping they dont find more issues. Btw, I have dont ZERO off roading or adventure driving.

Sponsored

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
Interesting to read this thread. Have had my R1S exactly one month - 821 miles - and the 10.1 update didn't complete so I need a service appointment (3 weeks out in Bellevue) and added the slight A pillar wind whistle to the ticket.

So...trying to figure out what this thread means to me (1 year later R1S). I'm wondering if the truck sub-frame is significantly different from the SUV - thinking it must be. Have not seen a R1S frame-related issue mentioned yet. And the pano glass...I recall that thread from a year ago for R1T but I don't think I've seen an R1S fail and the glass is much larger - perhaps they made some changes? Cracked windshield...that's likely shared by vehicles...I keep my eyes open for threats but not much I can do there.

The most alarming issue mentioned was corrosion. That's generally not an issue where I live in Western Washington but...dang..."corrosion never sleeps".

The last couple of decades I've been keeping vehicles for more than 10 years and I'm hoping that the Rivian holds up. Time will tell...

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

The biggest surprise is that apparently my rear sub-frame is cracked so they have to replace that too 😲 so curious has anyone else had this, is it common??
Well, color me surprised and add me to the Cracked Rear Subframe Club. I went in for routine items and came back with that great news. I was already headed in to pick up, and found out while driving there.

The good news is they hooked me up with a loaner to replace the disappointing Nissan Leaf rental! This R1T looks brand new and no issues, 300 miles on a 23*** VIN, not sure why it was added to the fleet.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Well, color me surprised and add me to the Cracked Rear Subframe Club. I went in for routine items and came back with that great news. I was already headed in to pick up, and found out while driving there.

The good news is they hooked me up with a loaner to replace the disappointing Nissan Leaf rental! This R1T looks brand new and no issues, 300 miles on a 23*** VIN, not sure why it was added to the fleet.
Seems like something they could have caught pre-delivery. Glad they got you a loaner.

Edit: I misread your comment

Last edited:

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

They must have gotten a new batch. Mine from last week only had ~900 miles on it.

Nickz

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My truck is in the Denver service center for the popping/clicking sound when turning slowly in a parking lot. It previously had the washers installed but the clicking is worse. The service center said they’re not seeing any issues but they did say they typically replace the subframe in this situation. Has anyone had the subframe replacement fix the clicking issues in the front suspension? Is it worth the invasive work?
Sponsored