Sponsored

New R1S Owner

Paachi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hi Everyone,

Want to introduce myself and share my experiences as I embark on my first electric car and Rivian journey. Literally drafting this as I am leaving to go pickup my R1S in the next 2 hours.

My R1S spec: Perf Dual Motor, 21" Road Wheels and Max Pack. Forest Green exterior and Ocean + Dark Ash interior.

My prior automotive experience has been mainly ICE vehicles. I have a lot of experience driving Teslas but never owned one. This will be our family vehicle and for both me and my wife. And we are very much looking forward to the experience, especially not dealing with fuel and maintenance hassles.

Experience with the guide so far has been ok..mixed bag maybe. They were quite unresponsive initially when I had quite a few questions. But once the delivery center pinged for a pickup date then they were very responsive and polite. Not sure why the difference. I am sure there is some process reason for it.

I read quite a bit about the Max Pack and how it isnt good value for money, but being a pre-price hike customer, it hurt less and honestly, I didnt want the quad after all the issues I read. The Performance Dual was the closest in performance to the Quad and this spec was available in the shop. My wife had okayed only two colors Green and Red. So here we are.

I am headed to the pickup, armed with the checklist. I'll keep this group posted on the purchase experience. We are also embarking on a long roadtrip during Christmas for 7-8 days with a mix of highway, city and coastal windy road driving. It should be a good shakedown test for the R1S across various facets incl. charging network, handling, range, build quality, etc.

I have my home Level 2 charging setup happening over the weekend. Anything else I should keep in mind? There are other accessories, like floor mats, phone charging setup etc., that I am still researching

- PK
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The guides are a mixed bag overall. They are all stretched pretty thin so I think they have to prioritize the times when they know folks will need their help. It’s not an excuse for being unresponsive, but it’s unfortunately a common issue. Rivian is trying to fix that by grouping guides together and assigning them to a region so that when people call, any of the guides could respond. Not sure if it’s gotten any better though🤷🏼‍♂️

Congrats and welcome to the family!

Rivian R1T R1S New R1S Owner IMG_0050

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

There is a significant reason you have heard of fewer issues with the Dual compared to the Quad - if that’s your basis.

enjoy the new rig!!

OP
OP

Paachi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
There is a significant reason you have heard of fewer issues with the Dual compared to the Quad - if that’s your basis.

enjoy the new rig!!
I don’t fully follow your response but I am guessing you are implying it might be because there are fewer dual motor Rivians sold than Quads.

if that’s the argument I think that’s fair. But other objective analyses by people from both in this forum and Out of Spec etc. also seem to articulate the benefits of Dual over Quad.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I don’t fully follow your response but I am guessing you are implying it might be because there are fewer dual motor Rivians sold than Quads.

if that’s the argument I think that’s fair. But other objective analyses by people from both in this forum and Out of Spec etc. also seem to articulate the benefits of Dual over Quad.
The enduro motors are the future with Rivian. I agree they’re better engines. Oil cooled and 10% more efficient. Soon, a version of the enduros will replace the Bosch quads.

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Congratulations! Please come back and share your experience with the Dual Motor Max Pack S!

Both dual and quad motors are excellent choices. Rivian has a good warranty on their vehicles as well.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Downside to going with dual is the reduced warranty length vs quad.
Had not heard of this before.... how much reduction in warranty time is there?

waitingonanr1s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 QM R1S
Had not heard of this before.... how much reduction in warranty time is there?

The New Vehicle Limited Warranties include:

• Comprehensive warranty:
    • 5-year or 60,000-mile (whichever occurs first) for Quad-Motor configurations.
    • 4-year or 50,000-mile (whichever occurs first) for all other configurations.
  • Battery pack system and drivetrain system limited warranty based on configuration:
    • 8-year or 175,000-mile (whichever occurs first) for Large pack battery with Quad-Motor.
    • 8-year or 150,000-mile (whichever occurs first) for Large or Max pack battery with Dual-Motor.
  • 8-year corrosion (perforation) limited warranty.
  • 8-year or 100,000-mile (whichever occurs first) occupant active restraint system limited warranty.
  • 1-year or 12,000-mile (whichever occurs first) adjustment warranty.
  • Tire limited warranty provided by the tire manufacturer.

https://rivian.com/support/article/what-is-the-warranty-coverage-on-a-new-rivian

AlanP

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Wife Solterra
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Bring an aftermarket phone charger

Sponsored

OnePedaler

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ford Explorer
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Hi Everyone,

Want to introduce myself and share my experiences as I embark on my first electric car and Rivian journey. Literally drafting this as I am leaving to go pickup my R1S in the next 2 hours.

My R1S spec: Perf Dual Motor, 21" Road Wheels and Max Pack. Forest Green exterior and Ocean + Dark Ash interior.

My prior automotive experience has been mainly ICE vehicles. I have a lot of experience driving Teslas but never owned one. This will be our family vehicle and for both me and my wife. And we are very much looking forward to the experience, especially not dealing with fuel and maintenance hassles.

Experience with the guide so far has been ok..mixed bag maybe. They were quite unresponsive initially when I had quite a few questions. But once the delivery center pinged for a pickup date then they were very responsive and polite. Not sure why the difference. I am sure there is some process reason for it.

I read quite a bit about the Max Pack and how it isnt good value for money, but being a pre-price hike customer, it hurt less and honestly, I didnt want the quad after all the issues I read. The Performance Dual was the closest in performance to the Quad and this spec was available in the shop. My wife had okayed only two colors Green and Red. So here we are.

I am headed to the pickup, armed with the checklist. I'll keep this group posted on the purchase experience. We are also embarking on a long roadtrip during Christmas for 7-8 days with a mix of highway, city and coastal windy road driving. It should be a good shakedown test for the R1S across various facets incl. charging network, handling, range, build quality, etc.

I have my home Level 2 charging setup happening over the weekend. Anything else I should keep in mind? There are other accessories, like floor mats, phone charging setup etc., that I am still researching

- PK
Get all the apps you’ll need on your phone. Highly re
Hi Everyone,

- PK
Make sure you get all the charger apps on your phone and get familiar with them. ABRP (a better route planner) is the best for travel plan.Ning. There’s a good YouTube video on how best to use it by a woman who is part of the ABRP company. PlugShare is a good app to use to check on Charging Station for performance. Read the RivianForum thread on road trips. Good luck!

OP
OP

Paachi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Of course. Here you go..I also used some points from the Tesla delivery checklist.

I also owe thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and helpful advice. I started writing a long post on Sunday after 4 days of ownership and my early thoughts. Still havent finished with it as I am learning new things everyday. But a detailed write up of my purchase experience and first few days coming soon.

Rivian R1T R1S New R1S Owner Screenshot 2023-11-11 094350
Sponsored

Attachments