Sponsored

Real Rivian Photos & Videos

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
https://www.fulldisplaymirror.com/

Gentex is probably the supplier of the mirrors rivian is using anyway. Sooo it wouldn’t be a big leap to use their full display mirror.

however, having it in the IP seems alright too.
Sponsored

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

I'll drop it after this quick follow-up. I get it that the large screen will display a rear-facing camera view at least while reversing. I'm trying to say that having a camera image based rearview mirror is a fantastic bit of kit to use All the Time while driving. You never need to reposition it because there is no super-exact orientation to view the brilliant screen image. You are immune to dealing with looking past passengers (or dogs) or anything that might be blocking the view through back window inside the vehicle or sitting in the bed.

Not trying to win an argument here. Just saying that it truly does surprise me that Rivian didn't see this as a premium touch feature that's available on less than top-class vehicles already.
I think the built-in camera concept for review mirrors is patented by Ford. There are other patents for virtual review mirrors. My guess is that Rivian would either have to pay royalties for utilizing another's patents or come up with a completely different way of displaying the rear view camera that would not infringe on a competitor's patent.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I think the built-in camera concept for review mirrors is patented by Ford. There are other patents for virtual review mirrors. My guess is that Rivian would either have to pay royalties for utilizing another's patents or come up with a completely different way of displaying the rear view camera that would not infringe on a competitor's patent.
I'm looking forward to seeing Fords in my rearview mirror in the near future, not far away.

"What the heck did he just say?...." ?

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
or Rivian could just buy it from Gentex like Subaru and LR and others already do.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
or Rivian could just buy it from Gentex like Subaru and LR and others already do.
Yep. Chevrolet also uses them as a supplier.

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
https://www.fulldisplaymirror.com/

Gentex is probably the supplier of the mirrors rivian is using anyway. Sooo it wouldn’t be a big leap to use their full display mirror.

however, having it in the IP seems alright too.
I was going to say. The reason these review view camera mirrors suddenly became popular is because a Tier 1 supplier offered it. It's not like Toyota or Subaru or Nissan or GM are suddenly "innovative" on this. they all just buy from Gentex. It's a nice to have, but it's definitely nothing groundbreaking. you can even do your own aftermarket Gentex camera mirror if somoene is so fixated on it.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yep. Chevrolet also uses them as a supplier.
And rivian too already. It looks like one of their “frameless” mirrors in the R1

I was going to say. The reason these review view camera mirrors suddenly became popular is because a Tier 1 supplier offered it. It's not like Toyota or Subaru or Nissan or GM are suddenly "innovative" on this. they all just buy from Gentex. It's a nice to have, but it's definitely nothing groundbreaking. you can even do your own aftermarket Gentex camera mirror if somoene is so fixated on it.
i‘ve been eyeing this as a solution for my Land Rover, which has no rear side windows, and has most of the rear window blocked by the spare wheel.

Being able to see what’s behind me is hugely appealing. But maybe not $1300 appealing…

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Wow, poked the Riviots pretty good about a dang camera mirror. Lots of excuses and 'cover' instead of just saying sure, Rivian should offer one. Done.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wow, poked the Riviots pretty good about a dang camera mirror. Lots of excuses and 'cover' instead of just saying sure, Rivian should offer one. Done.
Watch, it’ll have a full display mirror next year. Then everyone will have to buy a new truck ?

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Not everyone is enamored with those video "mirrors".
Many like them, some do not (they often have problems with quickly shifting focal distance from far to near and back).
That they should offer one is an opinion, not a given. I'm mostly neutral on the issue but lean towards "glad they didn't add one more gizmo that will be an expensive fix if it breaks".

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos Rivian Blue R1T pickup 8
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos Rivian Blue R1T pickup 7
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos Rivian Blue R1T pickup 6
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos Rivian Blue R1T pickup 5
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos Rivian Blue R1T pickup 1
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos Rivian Blue R1T pickup 2
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos Rivian Blue R1T pickup 3