Sponsored

New Level 3 chargers going in Alaska (from Homer to Fairbanks!)

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
But the old charger’s technology was much less powerful and slower than the 50-kilowatt DC charger that’s been operating for about a month now. Martakis says it would take about six hours for the old system to charge an EV battery enough to get from there to Anchorage – or Fairbanks, depending on which direction you’re coming from. But the new fast charger cuts that time to about an hour.
50kw? I guess that counts as Level 3, but just about. Hopefully the others planned are more capable.

OP
OP
mattgray600

mattgray600

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LE R1T, 2023 BMW X3
Occupation
IT Director
The ones going in Fairbanks will be faster! It's a good start! Finally!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

The ones going in Fairbanks will be faster! It's a good start! Finally!
If they get a truly strong, robust, and reliable system, I can't wait to get back up there again. We were there three years ago right now and toured around in a Ford Flex. I want to go back and explore off the pavement as there were so many side roads that we saw but didn't hit because the rental car folks were pretty adamant about the penalties for doing so.

The trouble is getting to Alaska. The Washington, BC, and Alaska ferries only go as far North as Ketchikan. That still leaves you with a 36-hour drive through Canada to get to Anchorage. I just put in a request to find out the cost of shipping an R1T from Tacoma to Anchorage, and will report back once I hear that pricing.

Rivian R1T R1S New Level 3 chargers going in Alaska (from Homer to Fairbanks!) 20180822_163547
Rivian R1T R1S New Level 3 chargers going in Alaska (from Homer to Fairbanks!) 20180822_164222
Rivian R1T R1S New Level 3 chargers going in Alaska (from Homer to Fairbanks!) 20180818_080916
Rivian R1T R1S New Level 3 chargers going in Alaska (from Homer to Fairbanks!) 20180820_142039
Rivian R1T R1S New Level 3 chargers going in Alaska (from Homer to Fairbanks!) 20180821_152352
Rivian R1T R1S New Level 3 chargers going in Alaska (from Homer to Fairbanks!) 20180821_120855

Sponsored

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
Too bad there is still nothing in the works from VDZ to FBX or ANC yet ? but yes it's a start!

OP
OP
mattgray600

mattgray600

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LE R1T, 2023 BMW X3
Occupation
IT Director
Regarding the ferries, you can go all the way to Haines. Then it is only 600 miles to Fairbanks. You do have to cross into Canada for part of that trip, but the road network (and scenery are well worth it!). There are level 2s in Haines Junction, and there is a plan for a level 3 in Delta Junction.

Also, during the summer months you can actually take a ferry all the way to Wittier and bypass Canada completely! It's a lot longer ferry ride, but then there is not customs to deal with!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

That's an amazing journey, but the following passage has me looking for shipping alternatives, likely after Alaska's buildout.

"By contrast, driving from Vermont to Anchorage in an EV meant covering more than 4,000 miles and traversing a chargerless 826-mile stretch from Ft. St. John in British Columbia to Whitehorse in the Yukon, immediately followed by another 662-mile run to Palmer"

On top of that, he didn't hit the Southern B.C. coastal route the West Coast of the U.S. (read I-5) feeds in to. Cool trip, no doubt, but I'll wait for more zip in my trip.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Also, during the summer months you can actually take a ferry all the way to Wittier and bypass Canada completely! It's a lot longer ferry ride, but then there is not customs to deal with!
Matt,

Thanks for setting me straight! I just pulled up this Alaska Ferry info, from Viking Travel, Inc. and caught the following that you referenced:

http://www.alaskaferryvacations.com/

"The State of Alaska Marine Highway Ferry System offers year-round ferry service from Bellingham, WA to the Inside Passage communities and Haines, AK, about 800 miles South East of Anchorage and Fairbanks, AK. Access to these cities via Haines require a drive through Canada.

Direct service from Bellingham, WA to Whittier, two hours south of Anchorage usually operates during the Spring and Summer."

Whittier is so close to Anchorage that we were able to hit it on our way back to Anchorage from Seward, and still had time to explore Whittier and climb to a 1,000-ft. high Glacier viewpoint, all in one day.

The only way in to Whittier and back to the highway to Anchorage is through a 2.5 mile, one-lane tunnel, which is shared with trains. Each hour for 15 minutes, traffic can go one way before the tunnel becomes available for train traffic only. Then for 15 minutes, cars can go the other direction before the tunnel transitions back to a train-only system for another 15 minutes.

Here's the Whittier inlet, followed by the only way in and out of town by car.
Rivian R1T R1S New Level 3 chargers going in Alaska (from Homer to Fairbanks!) 20180822_165214

Rivian R1T R1S New Level 3 chargers going in Alaska (from Homer to Fairbanks!) 20180822_180012
Rivian R1T R1S New Level 3 chargers going in Alaska (from Homer to Fairbanks!) 20180822_153802

Rivian R1T R1S New Level 3 chargers going in Alaska (from Homer to Fairbanks!) 20180822_153806
Rivian R1T R1S New Level 3 chargers going in Alaska (from Homer to Fairbanks!) 20180822_154018

Regarding the ferries, in their current info, they advise anyone thinking of heading to Alaska next year:

"Ferries between Bellingham, Washington and Whittier, Alaska (near Anchorage) are operating twice a month through December and start again in March.
The Northbound Ferry from Bellingham, WA to Whittier AK, has little or no car space available until late September.

The following, found in The Ferry Traveler, online edition references only Ketchikan and Haines as being serviced, although they're referencing a weekly schedule only. This was where I went off-track with my info:

"Served traditionally by 2 separate ferry systems, Bellingham is the only port in Washington State serving the year-round weekly ferries to and from Alaska.

Quick Ferry facts:
- Ketchikan ( a 2 day trip) is the 1st stop for ferries to Alaska from Washington
- Bellingham WA to Haines Alaska is a 3 day ferry trip.
- Driving from Haines Alaska to Anchorage Alaska involves entry into Canada so passports are absolutely required"

Having the Alaska Ferry get us all the way to Whittier is a huge help!

Matt, Thanks again for clearing this up!
Sponsored