Sponsored

“Vehicle Error” after a few minutes of charging

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I have a problem with my R1S using my home L2 charger. I wanted to see if anyone else experienced this Issue.

When I plug in my home charger (Chargepoint) it will often throw a ”Vehicle Error” and request I disconnect/reconnect or it Will begin charging but at exceptionally low rate (1-3kw). If I stop it and restart it a few times, it eventually works at and charges at the full 11kw. However, sometimes it doesn’t throw the vehicle error for a few minutes after the charge starts.

However, if I leave it plugged in overnight, after it completes the charge and tries to top-up in the middle of the night, it will throw another vehicle error.

This charger works fine with my R1T & Taycan, so it seems to be vehicle specific to the R1S.

Anyone else experience these issues?
Sponsored

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
I had this happen tonight at a L3 charger (Journie network in Canada). Started charging fine at 150kw for a few minutes and then I'd get the vehicle error and told to unplug and plug in again. Tried 2 of their CCS chargers and each time I got it to go for a short time (5 minutes or less, one time only 40 seconds) and then the same error.

I've been using our Rivian L2 charger at home exclusively since we got it a month and a half ago.

OP
OP
Quick

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
For my truck, Rivian replaced the on-board charging unit. That seems to have resolved all of the issues.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

A quick update for others with this same problem. I've been having the issue where a "vehicle error" is triggered while level 2 charging at my home. The truck will charge for a while, then throw a "vehicle error" and stop charging. All I have to do is either walk by the truck or even just open the app and wake the truck and it will start charging again. I have only seen this issue with level 2 home charging - not with level 1 (plugging the Rivian charger into a regular 120 outlet in my garage), nor with DC fast charging. I've been in touch with CS several times over the last two weeks sharing details, screenshots, sending diagnostics, etc. I spoke with Rivian Customer Service yesterday, 5/21/23. This is a known issue that will be fixed in an upcoming software update. The issue has something to do with the truck throwing a vehicle error when the truck enters a sleep state (or something like that). The helpful customer service rep told me that if I turn off proximity sensing for my phone and key fob that this might help, or, alternatively, I could leave a key fob in the vehicle, or potentially buckle one of the seat belts which will make the vehicle think someone is inside. For me, I'll probably just leave a key fob in the truck while charging in my closed garage and see if that fixes the problem. Just sharing these details in case anyone else is having this issue -

Rivian R1T R1S “Vehicle Error” after a few minutes of charging IMG_2931

Soupdc

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Yukon
Clubs

Mine has done this a couple times in the last month. It has typically occurred when I have my truck inside my garage to charge. I have my home charger where I can charge in or out of my garage. I asked Rivian when I went into service center and they said they would check on it. Did not hear back.
Also saw where it showed my home charger was delivering 43kw at one point.
Rivian R1T R1S “Vehicle Error” after a few minutes of charging IMG_1017
Rivian R1T R1S “Vehicle Error” after a few minutes of charging IMG_1017
Rivian R1T R1S “Vehicle Error” after a few minutes of charging IMG_1016
Rivian R1T R1S “Vehicle Error” after a few minutes of charging IMG_1015

Sponsored

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Just started getting this red ring error on my Rivian WC. Working with support to figure out what is going on. Mine is different as if you touch the handle it makes a buzz buzz electronic noise. Charges fine off a TeslaTap so not a huge problem.

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
mine has same issue. glad I'm not the only one. I tried key fob inside and disabled the prox key. same error.

I did find out it happens while DC fast charging while away. but alot less, it might stop for a min or two but keep fast charging. I noticed if I'm inside while dc fast charging it won't stop.

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
has anyone gotten this fixed? did the new ota update fix it? SC says nothing wrong with the truck.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
I actually had this issue yesterday at a EA fast charger near my house. I was at 40% and headed to the Costa Mesa SC for a service ticket, so I just gave up after 3 attempts. All three times it would charge for a minute or two at about 145kw and then Error out. The other chargers were being used, so I didn't try charging at a different charger.

*** Update *** I sent a text message to my Rivian Engineer neighbor who also charges at this particular set of EA chargers. I described my issue and he said he also had trouble with that particular charger. He pulled the charging logs from the Rivian and came to the conclusion that the temperature sensor in the EA charging plug is not functioning correctly and is giving a false reading to the vehicle. The Rivian software picks up this abnormality in the charging cable temperature and automatically stops charging to protect the vehicle. My neighbor says he hasn't any issues with the other chargers at the same location. He provided me the log, just to show me what he was talking about.

Rivian R1T R1S “Vehicle Error” after a few minutes of charging image-11

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Quick

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I actually had this issue yesterday at a EA fast charger near my house. I was at 40% and headed to the Costa Mesa SC for a service ticket, so I just gave up after 3 attempts. All three times it would charge for a minute or two at about 145kw and then Error out. The other chargers were being used, so I didn't try charging at a different charger.

*** Update *** I sent a text message to my Rivian Engineer neighbor who also charges at this particular set of EA chargers. I described my issue and he said he also had trouble with that particular charger. He pulled the charging logs from the Rivian and came to the conclusion that the temperature sensor in the EA charging plug is not functioning correctly and is giving a false reading to the vehicle. The Rivian software picks up this abnormality in the charging cable temperature and automatically stops charging to protect the vehicle. My neighbor says he hasn't any issues with the other chargers at the same location. He provided me the log, just to show me what he was talking about.

image-11.jpg

That’s cool. I wish they would expose that data to the end user.

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
I'm having issues using the rivian wall charger at home. But dc fast would error out if it goes to sleep.

RadDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick Enclave
Same problem just started for me with charging in my garage with Rivian wall charger. Put in ticket so we shall see.

Super annoying. Had truck for 3 weeks and charger for 1. Was working fine after install.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

I'm another person with recent frequent L2 errors to my R1S at home on my Rivian charger. Got an error that "AC charging is disabled" after several false starts charging yesterday. Soft reset fixed it. Will post a pic if I continue to get the same error in the future. Haven't seen it anywhere on the forums yet.

For reference, I also have a R1T that has never had an error. So this is obviously a problem intrinsic to my R1S.

Most recent software for both cars and charger.
Sponsored