Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Construction Cost Consultant
https://rivian.software/2023-26-00/

I’m assuming the handle too hot fix is the one we need?
The handle getting too warm is (what I've determined to be) the cause of mine getting the charging error. Having had zero problems with charging in over a year of ownership up until now, and having successfully charged all summer last summer without issue (in AZ), I'm not too thrilled that their "solution" is to automatically lower the amperage when the handle overheats. This to me is a band-aid and not a fix. If it charged fine all last summer without overheating, the only thing that could have changed since then is software. They broke something and they need to properly fix it. I should be able to get 11.5kW regardless.
Sponsored

tiltedandsaltyaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

reporting in, happened first time last night, barely going to get the juice i need for my trip today, after i lowered to 40amp seems to be working better? still might have to dcfc later

OKRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T 10xxx
Just finished my first charge on 2023.26.0 and instead of stopping the charge completely it did taper my charge rate down to 6kW from 9kW pretty quickly (40 amp mobile charger). While certainly an improvement, myself and others had no issues charging last summer so this is still a big downgrade. I suspect they must have a reason for being (overly?) cautious here. I have no issues with this same charger on Teslas.

I can't help but wonder how poor the AC charging performance would be if I left my truck sitting outside in these 100+ temps with the charge handle exposed to direct sun.

longhornguy2015

First Name
Darshan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura 2014 rdx
Occupation
IT Analyst
Just finished my first charge on 2023.26.0 and instead of stopping the charge completely it did taper my charge rate down to 6kW from 9kW pretty quickly (40 amp mobile charger). While certainly an improvement, myself and others had no issues charging last summer so this is still a big downgrade. I suspect they must have a reason for being (overly?) cautious here. I have no issues with this same charger on Teslas.

I can't help but wonder how poor the AC charging performance would be if I left my truck sitting outside in these 100+ temps with the charge handle exposed to direct sun.
Yup, paid Rivian for 11kwh charger and having to have the rate lowered is pretty ridiculous. It’s a band aid fix. Could’ve gotten a 3rd party charged if I wasn’t going to get what they advertised the charger to be.

disheartening but also glad that I can charge my car.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Rivian totally butchered these last two updates. First they release an update that causes the vehicle to randomly stop charging and error out. Then they release another update that "fixes" it by throttling down the charge rate to 6kw. In over a year of ownership I've never had charging issues until these last two updates. Total BS. What's Rivian's solution next, buy bags of ice to get the full rate of charge? :CWL:

Rivian R1T R1S “Vehicle Error” after a few minutes of charging PXL_20230722_194127473~2

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

SunDevil2213

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Construction Cost Consultant
It was overheating and they weren't catching it.
Negative ghostrider. I've owned my Rivian since May of 2022. Not once last summer did my handle EVER feel overheated like it does now. They've got a bug somewhere that has since caused this. Furthermore, I don't have handle overheating/throttled amperage issues at my parents' house (non-Rivian Juicebox charger). This is absolutely a Rivian-caused problem, and a band-aid "fix" that doesn't fix the problem.

Cruzdawg

First Name
Hak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, KIA Telluride
Occupation
Retired teacher
Clubs

I
I have a problem with my R1S using my home L2 charger. I wanted to see if anyone else experienced this Issue.

When I plug in my home charger (Chargepoint) it will often throw a ”Vehicle Error” and request I disconnect/reconnect or it Will begin charging but at exceptionally low rate (1-3kw). If I stop it and restart it a few times, it eventually works at and charges at the full 11kw. However, sometimes it doesn’t throw the vehicle error for a few minutes after the charge starts.

However, if I leave it plugged in overnight, after it completes the charge and tries to top-up in the middle of the night, it will throw another vehicle error.

This charger works fine with my R1T & Taycan, so it seems to be vehicle specific to the R1S.

Anyone else experience these issues?
I cut off the power to my home charger from my main electrical service panel which essentially rebooted it. It booted back up and haven’t had a problem since.

Claydogg

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; Tesla X; Pedego City Commuter Black
Occupation
Drone Light Show Pilot
The handle getting too warm is (what I've determined to be) the cause of mine getting the charging error. Having had zero problems with charging in over a year of ownership up until now, and having successfully charged all summer last summer without issue (in AZ), I'm not too thrilled that their "solution" is to automatically lower the amperage when the handle overheats. This to me is a band-aid and not a fix. If it charged fine all last summer without overheating, the only thing that could have changed since then is software. They broke something and they need to properly fix it. I should be able to get 11.5kW regardless.
Absolutely agree... now it takes 11+ hours to charge, when it used to be ~6 hrs. I get the "charging reduced due to warm plug". I charge my wifes Tesla X with the same Rivian Charger, and no errors, and she gets 38 miles added per hour.

Claydogg

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; Tesla X; Pedego City Commuter Black
Occupation
Drone Light Show Pilot
Rivian totally butchered these last two updates. First they release an update that causes the vehicle to randomly stop charging and error out. Then they release another update that "fixes" it by throttling down the charge rate to 6kw. In over a year of ownership I've never had charging issues until these last two updates. Total BS. What's Rivian's solution next, buy bags of ice to get the full rate of charge? :CWL:

PXL_20230722_194127473~2.jpg

Rivian R1T R1S “Vehicle Error” after a few minutes of charging PXL_20230722_194127473~2
Rivian R1T R1S “Vehicle Error” after a few minutes of charging IMG_5314

Rivian R1T R1S “Vehicle Error” after a few minutes of charging IMG_5312

Sponsored

longhornguy2015

First Name
Darshan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura 2014 rdx
Occupation
IT Analyst
To be fair, my friend owns a Hyundai and he is experiencing charging errors too. I told him to drop the speed and it charges fine through the night.
I’m not happy with the band aid fix but I’m also like well at least my car can charge.

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
I'm not happy with it either. Never had issues last year (march delivery) so I had hot summer temps. I too feel it was a bug or hardware issue, as it got progressively worse. I also get DC fast charging disabled use ac charging and DC fast charging disabled due to warm plug when I drive.

michaelcasto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Landscaper
I have a problem with my R1S using my home L2 charger. I wanted to see if anyone else experienced this Issue.

When I plug in my home charger (Chargepoint) it will often throw a ”Vehicle Error” and request I disconnect/reconnect or it Will begin charging but at exceptionally low rate (1-3kw). If I stop it and restart it a few times, it eventually works at and charges at the full 11kw. However, sometimes it doesn’t throw the vehicle error for a few minutes after the charge starts.

However, if I leave it plugged in overnight, after it completes the charge and tries to top-up in the middle of the night, it will throw another vehicle error.

This charger works fine with my R1T & Taycan, so it seems to be vehicle specific to the R1S.

Anyone else experience these issues?
I had the same issue I think with my first charger and what was happening with my truck was that the chargers job is to awaken the truck so it can accept a charge and sometimes the charger wasn’t sending a signal to keep the truck awake to continue the charge and so sometimes I would wake up the next day and find the truck stopped charging in the middle of the night. Rivian replaced the first charger with a new one.
Sponsored