Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
2018: 123,000 Model S for corroding bolts
Jun 2021: 285,000 cars for accidental cruise control engagement
Dec 2021: 675,000 cars for trunk And hood latches randomly opening
Feb 2022: 53,000 for self driving software causing cars to roll through stop signs
Feb 2022: 817,000 for seatbelt chimes (reminder not working)
Sept 2022: 1,100,000 cars for faulty window sensors (would not stop if obstructed)
Nov 2022: 40,000 cars for power steering outages
Nov 2022: 30,000 cars for faulty airbags
Nov 2022: 322,000 cars for random taillight blinking
Feb 2023: 362,000 vehicles for possibly dangerous FSD software

https://gizmodo.com/tesla-recall-elon-musk-self-driving-model-s-x-y-3400000-1850127842

Sponsored

Revelation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Misleading, they were required to "recall" cars when they put out simple software fixes.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Most are OTA software updates, no service trip required. Rivian will have a lot of these too.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Pretty standard among all car manufacturers. Ford recalled 3 million vehicles in a week last year.

Sponsored

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Most are OTA software updates, no service trip required. Rivian will have a lot of these too.
Possibly. That remains to be seen. Tesla seems to be forced into recalling vehicles instead of just doing the right thing voluntarily. The recall this week regarding FSD is the latest example of that.

Just because the recall can be fixed with a software update makes it no less important, especially with vehicles that are so dependent on software for all kinds of features and safety.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

It's almost as if recalls are common.

Rivian recalled every vehicle they had delivered. Ford has recalled millions, Hyundai/Kia, GM, every automaker has recalled massive numbers of their vehicles. Merely having a recall alone isn't a big deal.

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

Possibly. That remains to be seen. Tesla seems to be forced into recalling vehicles instead of just doing the right thing voluntarily.
Just to make sure we all understand, just because it’s a recall doesn’t mean it was forced. Many companies issue a recall before they get forced because it’s the right thing to do. I doubt many of these recalls you listed were forced.

This was the case with the bolt on all rivians a few months ago. They hurried and made a recall to make sure there were not any other issues.

Many people don’t realize that many of the R1Ts were also recalled and had to have a panel clip removed from the rear headlined on each side for the rear passenger airbag to allow it to deploy more easily. This is just quickly done while a truck is having a quick service for other things.

I just don’t want to make everything Tesla does bad just because some people don’t like them (for what ever reason they don’t like them)

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Just to make sure we all understand, just because it’s a recall doesn’t mean it was forced. Many companies issue a recall before they get forced because it’s the right thing to do. I doubt many of these recalls you listed were forced.

This was the case with the bolt on all rivians a few months ago. They hurried and made a recall to make sure there were not any other issues.

Many people don’t realize that many of the R1Ts were also recalled and had to have a panel clip removed from the rear headlined on each side for the rear passenger airbag to allow it to deploy more easily. This is just quickly done while a truck is having a quick service for other things.

I just don’t want to make everything Tesla does bad just because some people don’t like them (for what ever reason they don’t like them)
I am aware of that. Most of the recalls listed were mandatory. The recent FSD recall was voluntary. Tesla had 19 recalls in 2022 and affected 3.7 million vehicles.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-recall-2022-breakdown-misconceptions/

That is kinda my point. Consider the latest FSD recall of 362,00 vehicles. Tesla knows FSD is not safe yet they put that out there for people to use. Tesla vehicles themselves are some of the safest on the road but FSD when tested will frequently hit child sized mannequins and strollers. It’s a choice.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I am aware of that. The recalls listed were mandatory. If it included the voluntary recalls, Tesla had 19 of them in 2022 alone and affected 3.7 million vehicles.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-recall-2022-breakdown-misconceptions/

That is kinda my point. Consider the latest FSD recall of 362,00 vehicles. Tesla knows FSD is not safe yet they put that out there for people to use. Tesla vehicles themselves are some of the safest on the road but FSD when tested will frequently hit child sized mannequins and strollers. It’s a choice.
Tesla wouldn't be so loose and fast with people's lives if they were liable for injuries or deaths that occured with the systems active.

Sponsored

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Enough with the Tesla clickbait. Ford recalled 8 million in 2022 alone; 500,000 alone for ACTIVE safety issues that caused at least 20 SUVs to catch fire.

Tesla vehicles themselves are some of the safest on the road but FSD when tested will frequently hit child sized mannequins and strollers. It’s a choice.
This was proven to be a staged video / Tesla defamation attempt and autopilot was not even active at the time IIRC.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Enough with the Tesla clickbait. Ford recalled 8 million in 2022 alone; 500,000 alone for ACTIVE safety issues that caused at least 20 SUVs to catch fire.

This was proven to be a staged video / Tesla defamation attempt and autopilot was not even active at the time IIRC.
You are free to start a thread about Ford’s recalls if you wish. Or GM or VW for that matter.

If you don’t care for the FSD test I referred to, there is plenty of additional evidence it’s not safe. That recall actually had nothing to do with that specifically.

https://slate.com/technology/2023/02/tesla-recall-full-self-driving-nhtsa-musk-regulation.html

Also, the raw footage of the test showed FSD was actually engaged:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/controversy-erupts-over-video-of-fsd-tesla-striking-child-mannequin

Last edited:

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
You are free to start a thread about Ford’s recalls if you wish. Or GM or VW for that matter.

If you don’t care for the FSD test I referred to, there is plenty of additional evidence it’s not safe. That recall actually had nothing to do with that specifically.

https://slate.com/technology/2023/02/tesla-recall-full-self-driving-nhtsa-musk-regulation.html

Also, the raw footage of the test showed FSD was actually engaged:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/controversy-erupts-over-video-of-fsd-tesla-striking-child-mannequin
I never saw the raw footage, thanks for linking that. IMO Tesla needs to rebrand FSD as I don't think there would be as much controversy if it was called 'GigaPilot'. I wonder how many other manufacturers' enhanced assist programs go under the same scrutiny? Ps I'm not a Tesla fanboy by any means, I just think the slander against Tesla has gone unchecked far too long.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Tesla was just under scrutiny for various FSD problems resulting in a recall. If it routinely ran over children, you’d think the government agency would have noticed and done something about it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.