First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I was going to express my misgivings about EA, but there's already two pages of people who've said what EA needs to hear and really get on top of their situaton.
Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

How is it meaningless when talking about how quickly you're able to charge? My point was that on the new EA chargers it took me about half the time to charge as normal.
Using miles per hour depends heavily on what your vehicle's efficiency is, likely just before you reached the charger. It's impossible to compare the performance of a charger across vehicles because there are too many variables. Using kilowatts is fixed, there are no variables. A charger putting out 100 kW is the same charging performance no matter what vehicle has plugged in or how hard they've been driving the car before they got there.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I wouldn’t hold my breath for ccs fast chargers at buc-ees. The Bastrop one on the linked map only has Tesla superchargers. It also looked like super chargers going in at the temple location when I stopped there in December. Maybe they’re adding ccs chargers in addition to the Tesla ones?
Buc-ees applied for and received a grant from Texas to install public charging infrastructure. This cannot be Tesla as it is not public (yet). The rules of the funding required the stations to be open to all EVs. So maybe Buc-ees has Tesla Superchargers but is adding CCS or maybe Buc-ees is working with Tesla and planning their rollout for around the time Tesla allegedly will be opening to the public. I don't know which but I do expect Buc-ees to have CCS compatible chargers when they spend the grant money.

EDIT: Hmmm - I guess I could be wrong. It's been almost a year since the grants were awarded. Here are the rules for the grant money awarded under the program that Buc-ees applied for:

https://www.tceq.texas.gov/downloads/air-quality/terp/affp/affp-22-webinar-presentation.pdf

It does not have a CCS requirement like I remembered.... Just preferred "Open to the Public"
Another interesting fact is that the site owner must buy and own the equipment. So Buc-ees must own the chargers (at least the chargers funded by this grant) Doesn't Tesla typically own their equipment?
I am still hopeful Buc-ees will end up with both or they are playing the long game where they know Tesla will be opening to all EVs.

This is ALL WRONG..... I linked the wrong Texas Commission on Environmental Quality Program. Please See my next post on this subject below!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
It does not have a CCS requirement like I remembered.... Just preferred "Open to the Public"
Another interesting fact is that the site owner must buy and own the equipment. So Buc-ees must own the chargers (at least the chargers funded by this grant) Doesn't Tesla typically own their equipment?
I am still hopeful Buc-ees will end up with both or they are playing the long game where they know Tesla will be opening to all EVs.
Interesting requirement that the site owner must own the charger. Looks like the EA-TA deal would meet that requirement. The article reported that TA would buy and own the charger and that EA would maintain it.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
All - I apologize again.... I linked the wrong program above..... The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality can be difficult to navigate.

Here is the entire program that Buc-ees applied for and was awarded:

https://www.tceq.texas.gov/agency/trust/dcfch

The Presentation that includes the rules is here:

https://www.tceq.texas.gov/downloads/air-quality/terp/txvemp/dcfch-22-webinar-presentation.pdf

Finally the award recipients list is here:

https://www.tceq.texas.gov/downloads/air-quality/terp/txvemp/txvemp-dcfch-projects-awarded.pdf

Here it is in plain English:

Page 9 of the presentation document:
Under the Rules of this program: The Recipients must install at least 1 CHAdeMO and 1 CCS Connector. If alternatives are included in the application then at least 1 CHAdeMO and 1 CCS must be included for every alternative connecter included in the application. (Page 9 of the presentation document)

Line 18 of the recipients Document:
Using Buc-ees Bastrop, TX Location as an example. It is listed on line 18 of the recipients list as being approved for 6 dispensers.

I only chose to verify the address of the Buc-ees in Bastrop because I've done this exercise before and am confident this time I have all the correct links.

Sorry for the confusion from my first post. Leaving it there for completeness but will make it clear it was wrong program.

Regards,
Alan

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Page 9 of the presentation document:
Under the Rules of this program: The Recipients must install at least 1 CHAdeMO and 1 CCS Connector. If alternatives are included in the application then at least 1 CHAdeMO and 1 CCS must be included for every alternative connecter included in the application. (Page 9 of the presentation document)
That's a fair compromise. They can use the funds to build a Tesla Supercharger, but for every one of those, they have to also build a CCS plug and a CHAdeMO. Although, to be honest, 1 CHAdeMO per Tesla connector seems like a waste at this point. CCS? yes! CHAdeMO? meh.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Aren’t the leafs the only production car left using CHAdeMO in North America? And is there such a thing as a CCS-to-CHAdeMO adapters? Could there be? If so, deploying more CHAdeMO seems like a waste of resources at this point.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
@Autolycus - They may not be using funds from the Grant on the Tesla build out. They could be doing both Tesla and CCS/CHAdeMO and only using grant money on the latter. I guess what I was trying to confirm is that they did get grant money and it must be used for CCS/CHAdeMO. So unless they abandoned the grant I would expect 6 stalls of CCS and 1 CHAdeMO on top of what they are allowing Tesla to do.

In other words they only have to match 1 for 1 if they use grant money on the non-CHAdeMO/CCS cabinets. There is nothing preventing the from doing the Tesla build out also with "other/non-grant" money

That's just my guess.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
They should work on improving what they already have instead of rolling out more of the “new new” that’ll soon be “broke broke” like a freaking McDonalds ice cream machine 🤣💀
I pasted this in anther thread but bares repeating here, these were all different chargers in the Midwest and east coast. I’ll have to see where all of them were but I know I stopped to charge in IN, OH, PA, VA, MA, CT, DE, MD, NC, SC, AL

”On another note for Electrify America here is my experience. I have stopped at 17 different locations between IL-MA-AL, the very first station I stopped at did not initiate a charge, I had never used my account so not sure the issue. I moved to the next stall and it worked. Subsequently on the next 16 stations, the first stall I plugged into worked every time, I’ve been using the 150 and 350 units. Temps have been as low as 21 degrees in IL and 55 degrees in AL. First 6 charges were low to mid 20s, only the last EA charge was over 40.”

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
Press Release: https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/204

TravelCenters of America Enters Agreement with Electrify America to Expand Electric Vehicle Infrastructure
Small-959-TravelCentersofAmericaEntersAgreementwithElectrifyAmericatoExpandElectricVehicleInfr...jpg

TA and Electrify America Have Goal to Install DC Fast Chargers Nationwide to Meet Needs of EV Drivers

WESTLAKE, Ohio – January 30, 2023 – TravelCenters of America Inc. (Nasdaq: TA), the nation’s largest publicly-traded full-service travel center network, announced today an agreement with Electrify America to offer electric vehicle charging at select TA/Petro locations with the first stations planned to be deployed in 2023. Electrify America is the largest open direct current fast-charging network in the U.S.

With a goal of installing approximately 1,000 individual chargers at 200 locations along major highways over five years, TA will purchase Electrify America’s DC (Direct Current) fast chargers. Electrify America will install, operate and maintain the charging stations at TA/Petro locations, through its Electrify Commercial business unit. Electrify America will manage the entire process to design and develop the charging stations – obtaining permitting approvals, provide warranty and 24/7 support services, and conduct onsite maintenance. TA will be included on the Electrify America charging network, allowing customers to access and pay for charging through the Electrify America app.

The network of charging stations will be open to almost all brands of EV vehicles and can deliver up to 350 kW to capable vehicles – some of the fastest charging speeds commercially available. The new charging stations help to provide range confidence to EV motorists traveling long distances by expanding access to hyper-fast charging, exemplifying TA’s commitment to providing accessible and reliable chargers to allow EV motorists stay on the go.

“TA’s large locations with expansive amenities are attractive to EV motorists and we are committed to expanding our EV charging infrastructure to accommodate this growing number of EV drivers over time,” said Jon Pertchik, Chief Executive Officer of TravelCenters of America. “Our agreement with best-in-class Electrify America provides an unmatched offering of excellence in locations, service, support.”

“Electrify America is pleased to collaborate with an industry leader like TravelCenters of America to provide the critical infrastructure needed for EV drivers of today and tomorrow,” said Giovanni Palazzo, President and Chief Executive Officer of Electrify America. “Our combined strengths allow us to take bigger steps toward our shared vision of a more sustainable future.”

Electrify Commercial - the business unit from Electrify America designed to deliver turnkey EV charging solutions to businesses, utility companies, fleet owners, travel centers and convenience stores – is developing EV charging programs tailored to fit customers’ individual needs. Electrify Commercial presents a unique opportunity for businesses like TravelCenters of America to own their own charging stations while leveraging Electrify America’s experience building the largest open, DC-fast charging network in the U.S.

TA’s site amenities and Electrify America’s robust abilities offer unique solutions to EV drivers, including convenient locations along major highways and close to exits, access to Wi-Fi at TA locations, modern restrooms, hyper-fast charging speeds up to 350 kW for capable vehicles, seamless Plug & Charge payment technology, and operations backed by 24/7 customer support and a 24/7 network operations center.

Together, TA and Electrify America are dedicated to meeting the evolving needs of motorists and are charging toward a more sustainable future.

About TravelCenters of America
TravelCenters of America Inc. (Nasdaq: TA) is the nation's largest publicly traded full-service travel center network. Founded in 1972 and headquartered in Westlake, Ohio, its over 18,000 team members serve guests in 281 locations in 44 states, principally under the TA®, Petro Stopping Centers® and TA Express® brands. Offerings include diesel and gasoline fuel, truck maintenance and repair, full-service and quick-service restaurants, travel stores, car and truck parking and other services dedicated to providing great experiences for its guests. TA is committed to sustainability, with its specialized business unit, eTA, focused on sustainable energy options for professional drivers and motorists. TA operates over 600 full-service and quick-service restaurants and nine proprietary brands, including Iron Skillet® and Country Pride®. For more information, visit www.ta-petro.com.
Electrify America is always doing revolutionary things regarding EV infrastructure. Have you heard about their concept for human-centered EV station? It looks like apple made a gas station. Kind of cool.
check it out:
https://www.carmigo.io/2022/04/04/ev-charging-station-of-the-future/
Sponsored