Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

😭😭😭😭
Today I had the most expensive trip to IKEA without buying a damn thing.
It was wet and rainy and the guy behind me wasn't quick on the stop. He got a face full of air bag and distroyed his otherwise lovely X-Terra that he said he paid off just a couple of months ago.

I was well behind the guy in front of me. Even as I hit the brakes I was looking for my escape route as I saw the X-Terra in my side mirror. I tried to get out of his way but he tagged me anyways.

On the positive side my wife, son, and I are completely unharmed. The truck DID ITS JOB.
On the negative, I think the frame is significantly bent. The tow hitch receiver has be shoved back into the truck and is bent upwards. If you look at the bed floor, it has be shoved up, potentially be the frame. IMO its worse than it looks.

I called Rivian service and they dispatched a tow truck. BTW, Rivian service is great but their software makes it hard for them to request a tow truck without a street address. We were on an interstate which does't have street addresses. I think they could make that go a bit easier. I was able to give them a pretty precise location. It took a long time for the tow to show up but the driver knew exactly what to do. He also had a large enough cab that he could get the family and I off the highway and all the way back home since it was on the way to the tow yard. He was a pretty nice fellow but he thinks my truck is totaled.

I've got Rivian/Nationwide insurance so I'm now crossing my fingers that I'm not going to be screwed out of owning a Rivian. Mine was bought at the original price, just under $80k. That same truck is now about $95K. So i'm not sure how that works. I do have New Car Replacement Plus coverage so fingers crossed.

Rivian R1T R1S We're OK, but our R1T is not..... rear ended accident rivian r1t accident rear ended

Rivian R1T R1S We're OK, but our R1T is not..... rear ended accident IMG_0001.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S We're OK, but our R1T is not..... rear ended accident IMG_0006.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S We're OK, but our R1T is not..... rear ended accident IMG_9995.JPG
Sponsored

bgoldber88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T LE, 2021 BMW X3 PHEV
Occupation
Engineer
Ughhhh no I’m so sorry. I’m happy your family is safe though

invernite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Honday Odyssey
Occupation
Clicking refresh in the R1 Shop
Clubs

Sorry to hear and glad your family is okay. Car looks totaled to me. Good thing you have Nationwide insurance through Rivian with new car replacement. I'm guessing you'll want to run the claim through your insurance for the replacement and let them subrogate to the other person's insurance. Biggest bummer is the time you'll be unable to drive your truck. 😔

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Sorry to see this. Glad you and your family are all OK. Assuming you want another Rivian, would just tell them to replace the truck, rather than paying you a set price for yours and leaving you to go buy another one. Hopefully, that will avoid having any variance between what they pay you and the cost of a new one. Also need to consider taxes on the new one, thus just having them replace it hopefully removes any such issues. Fingers crossed for you that it goes smoothly.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Dang Beavis! This made me sad and angry at the other guy. So glad you are unhurt and family is safe. You’ll be made whole soon I’m sure. Let us know what Denver collision center they recommend. Such a helpless feeling.

I’d like to buy you some Swedish meatballs and cam locks anytime!

P.S. DriveCam catch it/useful?

Last edited:

Sponsored

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

This is tragic but happy everyone is okay. When you’re ready, keep us posted on the likely replacement process.

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Dang Beavis! This made me sad and angry at the other guy. So glad you are unhurt and family is safe. You’ll be made whole soon I’m sure. Let us know what Denver collision center they recommend. Such a helpless feeling.

CRAP! I didn't even think of that.. I need to get the video.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
So sorry that happened to you Beavis.. I know you waited a long time to get your Rivian!
Glad no one was hurt.

From the accidents we've seen so far... your is totaled.

That sucks!!

LTD in CBTS

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3, Vespa 300, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Sorry to hear about that beautiful blue R1T getting smashed. Glad to hear the truck did its safety job which is first and foremost. If you don't already have one, I am happy to send you a Blue R1T matchbox to put on your desk in the meantime while you sort out the replacement. My mom found 3 of them at a Cincinnati Dollar Tree. Just send me a PM and I will ship it out to you.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Wow! The most important thing is you and your family walked away from this. Surreal to see the disparity in damage between the Xterra and your Rivian. These things are built like tanks but unfortunately it doesn’t take much to total them.

Good luck with the replacement/repair. Keep us updated.

Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

So sorry to hear Sgt.! Glad everyone is ok.

I have a feeling I have admired your blue truck several times around Boulder county? I’m sure the new one will be even better!

ORFynder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Rosie" the RIVN, Rav4 Prime
Occupation
Optimistic Advocate
Sorry to hear about your accident but glad everyone is OK. Assume Rivian Insurance will take care of you and hope you get in a Rivian soon🙏

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Noooooo!

State11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Defender D90
Very sorry to hear this happened to one of my favorite posters, supper glad you are OK. Good luck in getting this resolved ASAP favorably.
Sponsored