Sponsored

2 recent issues: driver's door would not open & speed reduced until service error message

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Two issues have popped up recently for me. First, about 2 weeks ago I was on a road trip in MT and the driver’s side door would not open. I was inside the truck, and rolled down the window to see if the exterior handle would work. Nope - neither handle would engage to unlatch the door. I had to climb out the other side. When I came back to the truck later, it worked fine. Then it happened again a couple of days ago, so I opened a service ticket on it.

Then today, I’m driving home from skiing and suddenly I get the dreaded “speed reduced until service” message and limp home at 19 mph. Support walked me thru a reboot and deep sleep, neither of which has corrected the problem. Pic of warning lights I’m getting below.

Rivian R1T R1S 2 recent issues: driver's door would not open & speed reduced until service error message 18CE68A9-B68F-4A95-9F4A-863C26F9613E
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gshenderson

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Took the truck in for Service for the above issues yesterday. They serviced the drivers side door and tightened the bolts on the catch latch which was loose.​
Apparently the reason it went into limp mode was because the alignment was all screwed up. They did an alignment and also replaced all 4 tires because the bad alignment had caused uneven wear on the inside edges.​
Everything was covered under warrantee (tires had 10,000 miles on them), and they gave me a rental since they kept the truck overnight. As always, the folks at the SLC Service Center were great.​
I'm a little concerned about the alignment issue, since even after there were still some readings out of spec. I’ll post the before and after results to see if anyone who understands it more than me cares to comment.​

OP
OP
Gshenderson

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is a “before” taken yesterday when I dropped it off.

Rivian R1T R1S 2 recent issues: driver's door would not open & speed reduced until service error message D3D6DC38-A870-4246-9356-3855F2C23647

This has a before and after, both taken today. Not sure if they did any adjustments between the two “before” readings or just changed the tires.

Rivian R1T R1S 2 recent issues: driver's door would not open & speed reduced until service error message 3122E51C-3F38-47EA-BE43-6E1CA9750C3F

As you can see, left front camber is still out of spec, but the service tech indicated that it was the best they could get and that additional adjustment on the camber would throw other stuff out. Anyone have an opinions on that?

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
As you can see, left front camber is still out of spec, but the service tech indicated that it was the best they could get and that additional adjustment on the camber would throw other stuff out. Anyone have an opinions on that?
I would tell them if they can't get it in spec, then something must be defective, and that defective part needs to be replaced. And if they can't figure out which part to replace, then perhaps they just need to replace the entire truck.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
This is a “before” taken yesterday when I dropped it off.

D3D6DC38-A870-4246-9356-3855F2C23647.jpeg

This has a before and after, both taken today. Not sure if they did any adjustments between the two “before” readings or just changed the tires.

3122E51C-3F38-47EA-BE43-6E1CA9750C3F.jpeg

It looks like they’re aiming for -1 deg. camber at all four corners, and 4 degrees caster. those particular adjustments are likely not entirely independent.

I made a little diagram(really little, I had to zoom in a lot!) the blue line is vertical(two feet long). The green line is 1 degree. The red line is 1.18 degrees. The 1/2” dimension is for scale. See how minuscule the difference is?
Rivian R1T R1S 2 recent issues: driver's door would not open & speed reduced until service error message 1672460114996

watch someone do an alignment from start to finish. It is not easy, even with whizbang laser equipment.
Sponsored