Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I know Rivian has shown these new numbers in the configurator for a bit now, but they just started showing up on the EPA website late yesterday for the 2023 model year.

Rivian R1T R1S 2023 Rivian EPA Numbers published on official website 1671717703997

Rivian R1T R1S 2023 Rivian EPA Numbers published on official website 1671717724167
Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
It's helpful that they have posted official numbers for each wheel size. The previous method of saying "a reduction of XX miles for 20" wheels and XX for 22" wheels" was confusing to some. Maybe that is an indictment on our education system though....

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I am still confused why the 21 inch wheels have such a large difference between the R1S and R1T. The 20 and 22 numbers are the same between the 2 vehicles.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I am still confused why the 21 inch wheels have such a large difference between the R1S and R1T. The 20 and 22 numbers are the same between the 2 vehicles.
I don't see testing documents published yet but I'll share them when I do.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
That's interesting. I assume both have aero covers, right?

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Ugg... I why couldn't they have made the A/S aero wheels on a more common wheel and tire size?!

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Ugg... I why couldn't they have made the A/S aero wheels on a more common wheel and tire size?!
I think they should remove aero covers and make them optional in the gear shop. Seems like the first thing everyone is doing is taking them off.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Do you all think there is an actual change, or just a change to the testing? I understand the manufacturer has some flexibility with the published numbers… I haven’t seen anything that makes me think this is more than Rivian making their range values a bit less conservative (which they feel like they have been).

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Do you all think there is an actual change, or just a change to the testing? I understand the manufacturer has some flexibility with the published numbers… I haven’t seen anything that makes me think this is more than Rivian making their range values a bit less conservative (which they feel like they have been).
I imagine there might have been a small amount of efficiency to be gained with better HVAC controls, but I haven't read anything about an improvement to the motor inverter, and that's typically one of the big ones that other companies use to bump range up with.

Sponsored

JoulesVerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE, 2022 Ioniq 5 SEL
I was seeing 330 miles on a charge on 21" wheels. So I'm guessing they changed the testing methodology. I would love to be wrong though!

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I guess I am getting confused on all of the range discussion.

Does this:

A. imply that at some point model 2023 models will start delivering with a higher range
B. imply a software update is going to increase range for all R1 models (better efficiency, access to more pack capacity, etc)

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Does this:

A. imply that at some point model 2023 models will start delivering with a higher range
B. imply a software update is going to increase range for all R1 models (better efficiency, access to more pack capacity, etc)
C. Rivian following in Tesla's footsteps and learning how to game the testing better.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

Does this:

I’m guessing they redid the test on the latest software with improved regen and were able to squeak out some additional range as a result. It is also possible based on the reported drive mode improvements that some of the algorithms may have adjusted some of the power consumption curves.

Still waiting for someone that saw regen going down large declines (especially while towing) and cutting out to report if the new changes improve that or not.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Still waiting for someone that saw regen going down large declines (especially while towing) and cutting out to report if the new changes improve that or not.
I haven't experienced the complete regen fall-off that I had been experiencing in the last update, but that was rare to happen and I'm not in a particularly mountainous area.
Sponsored