Sponsored

2023 Rivian R1T/S price hike coming?

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I predict Rivian will have a price increase for 2023 R1 vehicles. I predict current reservations will be impacted and a Tony will be sending out an e-mail soon.

Your thoughts? Did they learn a price increase lesson earlier in the year when they had tons of cancellations?

Bottom line? Rivian needs to increase theirs.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
They said pre-3/1/2022 reservations would have their pricing honored. After that you "float" with current pricing, anyway.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I predict Rivian will have a price increase for 2023 R1 vehicles. I predict current reservations will be impacted and a Tony e-mail will be sent out soon.

Your thoughts? Did they learn a price increase lesson earlier in the year?

Why spread FUD?

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I'm just preparing reservations holders like myself who are still waiting to take delivery.

Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I mean they talked about pricing on the conference call yesterday. Specifically relevant they talked about Post March 1st orders bringing up margins and also they talked about ramping production and ultimately reducing per unit production costs. While I wouldn't be surprised if there was some small adjustments I doubt they will be that significant.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
I predict Rivian will have a price increase for 2023 R1 vehicles. I predict current reservations will be impacted and a Tony will be sending out an e-mail soon.

Your thoughts? Did they learn a price increase lesson earlier in the year when they had tons of cancellations?

Not happening. Once bitten twice shy.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I agree that another price increase is justified. The prices of the new competitors seem to be higher, for arguably inferior vehicles.

if I were RJ, I’d announce that there will be a price increase for new orders placed after 1/1/23 (or sooner).
Good idea, if he had more procuring capacity than he currently does.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I agree that another price increase is justified. The prices of the new competitors seem to be higher, for arguably inferior vehicles.

if I were RJ, I’d announce that there will be a price increase for new orders placed after 1/1/23 (or sooner).
Volvo claims the EX90 will be "well-equipped for under $80k". I'm curious to see what "well-equipped" means... But that may be a COMPELLING choice if true.

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
Message for RJ contemplating price hike for old preorders: to err is human; to repeat divine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Ford's Lightning received around a $6k price hike for 2023.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Volvo claims the EX90 will be "well-equipped for under $80k". I'm curious to see what "well-equipped" means... But that may be a COMPELLING choice if true.
Well equipped is marketing speak for the starting, entry price (Volvo: "Which we'd like to point out is still "well equipped". For an even better equipped option, take a look at our available upgrade packages....)

It would be the first time in history that a company used a middle or high end spec price in advertising. The easiest thing to do is just spec out a current X90, add $20k and you're in the ballpark.

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I think they will leave the pre 3/1 orders alone if they do raise prices. If they now have 114,000 orders as they claim, they will see their numbers improve as they deliver all those early cheaper orders and get into the more profitable post 3/1 orders.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
You don't really specify who you are referring to regarding who would be getting price increases. Everyone falls into three categories:

1. Pre March 1: These are locked and they aren't changing. They will manage margins through cutting costs, but they aren't touching this one again. They even just said on the call about how these orders affect margins in the near term. These are locked.

2. Between March 1 and May (?): Pre-orders locked in at the post March price increase. They haven't specifically addressed just how locked these are, but given the change in May, I would assume they are also locked.

3. May 2022 and forward: These are "reservations" and they have no pricing associated with them, so technically they can't have a price increase, there's just "the price" at time of delivery.

So, yes, prices will forever be dynamic and change as needed, but the only group that will impact is Group #3.
Sponsored