Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Iā€™ve never been a fan of the Taco, but man I like this. Just got finished reading up on it. There is a lot to like. My only disappointment is that Toyota isnā€™t offering a plugin hybrid. I suspect there will be a BEV version at some point.

A very nice truck. Heck weā€™re getting a lot of nice mid sized trucks this year. The GMC/Chevy trucks, the Ranger, and now this are all great lookinā€™ trucks.

But theyā€™re all slow as molasses on a frozen day compared to the mighty 835HP Rivian R1T. šŸ˜
Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
High end off road version, the trailhunter comes with an air compressor built in the bed and since it's a hybrid has inverter with 120 sockets in the bed + auto open/close tailgate like Ford. Some interesting adds to this update.

Alex on Autos did a nice breakdown of the models

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Honestly pretty impressed with the TRD Off-Road, Pro, and Trailhunter versions. The power and torque of the iForce Max hybrid version is great for the segment, R1T aside. Also gives us a preview of what the 6th gen 4Runner will likely be. I think they've got a hit on their hands. Toyota has definitely been watching what the aftermarket has been doing with their off-road capable rigs and the suspension and tire offerings prove it. While many will still build them, they're going to be even more capable than before out of the box and I'm pleased to see 33s from the factory. Previously the body mounts interfered with putting on 33s. Certainly not interested in one for myself since I have the Rivian, but it is a good move for Toyota.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
A transformer is cooler than our clown cars though. The Rivian is a great truck but the looks arenā€™t stellar either.
I much prefer and like the Rivian look. Itā€™s consistent and simple. No unnecessary flair, ridges, teeth, plastic to say: ā€œLook at me! Iā€™m a MAN!!ā€

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Contrary to their advertising of having the longest ā€œelectrifiedā€ history, I believe Toyota hates the idea of BEVs. All their alternative fuel eggs were in the fuel cell basket. Their California-only RAV4EV had a Tesla battery and power train. I think it will be a while before we see a BEV truck from Toyota. I, for one, would welcome them.

Rivian R1T R1S 2024 TACOMA - Here It Is - ICE & Hybrid Competitor! šŸ„Š 1684471214005

Last edited:

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Contrary to their advertising of having the longest ā€œelectrifiedā€ history, I believe Toyota hates the idea of BEVs. All their alternative fuel eggs were in the fuel cell basket. Their California-only RAV4EV had a Tesla battery and power train. I think it will be a while before we see any real BEVā€™s from Toyota. I, for one, would welcome them.
Toyota sells a BEV now along with a couple PHEV and a bunch of hybrids. Their position on hybrids being a better solution over pure battery vehicles is actually quite accurate.

Rivian R1T R1S 2024 TACOMA - Here It Is - ICE & Hybrid Competitor! šŸ„Š 1684473607729

Krusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ninety Eight 90 Supra 90 Range Rover
Occupation
Business Owner
Toyota sells a BEV now along with a couple PHEV and a bunch of hybrids. Their position on hybrids being a better solution over pure battery vehicles is actually quite accurate.

1684473607729.jpeg
However, they don't take into account carbon emission reduction or the fact the chemistry and energy density of batteries is always evolving to make them less resource intensive. I would probably get a plug-in the size of a R1S if there was one. Interesting times indeed...

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

1684473607729.jpeg
Good guy Toyota leaving the expensive fully recyclable battery minerals for their competitors.

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I forgot about their ā€œwheels-fall-offā€ model. Will fix my post.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

1684473607729.jpeg
In other words, we donā€™t want to lead on this. We would rather wait until some imaginary time in the future when battery minerals are cheap and we decide the infrastructure is good enough for our customers.

Funny how they didnā€™t mention they were/ are actively lobbying against all efforts to increase EV adoption and expand infrastructureā€¦. I guess itā€™s more important to make sure your literature remains factual. Printing can be expensive.

bgoldber88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T LE, 2021 BMW X3 PHEV
Occupation
Engineer
In other words, we donā€™t want to lead on this. We would rather wait until some imaginary time in the future when battery minerals are cheap and we decide the infrastructure is good enough for our customers.

Funny how they didnā€™t mention they were/ are actively lobbying against all efforts to increase EV adoption and expand infrastructureā€¦. I guess itā€™s more important to make sure your literature remains factual. Printing can be expensive.
This exactly. Additionally the fact that they have so few options available (both in terms of models and quantity), and the options they have offered (and Subaru) are of such poor quality doesn't help make the case.

If Toyota was pumping out BEVs at the rate that they do Tundras or Prius (not even their top selling models afaik) I have a feeling that "50 chargers a day" rate would be closer to 400. These install numbers do not exist in a vacuum. Demand drives where they put the chargers and how many they install. Same can likely be said for planning lithium mines in the US. Surely they are forecasting their investments around car manufacturers plans as well. EDIT: Also Toyota could build a network too, as other EV manufacturers have considered, to help move that charger per day number up.

Toyota also fails to notice in their analsysis that while there is a $10k difference in average sale price between ICE and BEV - the average consumer (not most of us Rivian drivers) will get $7500 tax credit on their car AND they are eligible for a tax credit on that "$1300" home charger install.

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
I don't personally understand the styling on this, or most modern trucks. They're all dripping in such comically overdone, try-hard "manliness" that it really speaks to how insecure the average American male actually is. The Rivian styling is an absolute masterclass in comparison.

Still, nice to see Toyota now offering the Taco with actual seats and suspension for a change. The tech is also pretty compelling.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
A transformer is cooler than our clown cars though. The Rivian is a great truck but the looks arenā€™t stellar either.
I prefer the look of the Rivian. It is more simple without all the "look at me" embellishments. I don't really want a truck that looks like it will crush the souls of all the other road trucks. The new trend in trucks is hypermasculine so much so that it's entering the point of comically so. The Rivian went the other way, maybe a little too much but it's a welcome change from everything else.
Sponsored