First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Hi All, we just wrapped up the final installment of our R1S Road Trip series. A lot of folks asked about some specific details, like charging and efficiency, so I tried to put together some info that addresses those questions. Overall, it was a great trip. The R1S is VERY road worthy and very comfortable. Charging was never a problem (except one glitch in Ely, NV, which we expected anyway). Yes it would be very useful to have more chargers in better locations. Here are the three videos:

Part 3 - We drove 2443 Miles in the RIVIAN R1S! - Here's what you need to know

Part 1 - My ESSENTIAL GEAR

Part 2 - The Hunt for CHARGERS

AND, I thought this might be useful for the Rivian geeks, like me. Here's the spreadsheet of all our charging stop info:

Rivian R1T R1S 2443 Miles in the R1S - Road trip report - LOVED every mile! Road Trip - SPREADSHEET p1
Rivian R1T R1S 2443 Miles in the R1S - Road trip report - LOVED every mile! Road Trip - SPREADSHEET p2
Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Thanks for the updates and the videos are great. How did you find the ride quality in the S vs the T given some of the recent magazine and video reviews questioning both the absolute rise quality of the S and it relative to the T.
Also what about noise in the S, both the air suspension in the rear and more generally. Again absolute as well as relative to the T?

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Let's plan the next one.

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Just curious - is your kWh used from the S's computer or from EA/charging based on what was delivered?

I ask because I'd be curious what a real-world efficiency over the course of a trip like this is including vampire, battery conditioning and other losses. Given your tight notes I thought you might have both.

jclicky

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Thanks for the updates and the videos are great. How did you find the ride quality in the S vs the T given some of the recent magazine and video reviews questioning both the absolute rise quality of the S and it relative to the T.
Also what about noise in the S, both the air suspension in the rear and more generally. Again absolute as well as relative to the T?
I have the same question. I’m likely to opt for an R1T, but the R1S would be my preferred form-factor, as I’d rather have an SUV & shorter vehicle for maneuvering.

Sponsored

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
CEO
Hi All, we just wrapped up the final installment of our R1S Road Trip series. A lot of folks asked about some specific details, like charging and efficiency, so I tried to put together some info that addresses those questions. Overall, it was a great trip. The R1S is VERY road worthy and very comfortable. Charging was never a problem (except one glitch in Ely, NV, which we expected anyway). Yes it would be very useful to have more chargers in better locations. Here are the three videos:

AND, I thought this might be useful for the Rivian geeks, like me. Here's the spreadsheet of all our charging stop info:

Road Trip - SPREADSHEET p1.png
Road Trip - SPREADSHEET p2.png
Great vid. I lived in Bishop for 12+ years, it's an off-road mecca, with many fantastic roads to take you into the Sierra Nevada or White Mountains! Take your Rivian there and have fun!

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Great vid. I lived in Bishop for 12+ years, it's an off-road mecca, with many fantastic roads to take you into the Sierra Nevada or White Mountains! Take your Rivian there and have fun!
I've been there many times (my wife's family lives there). Only scratched the surface of what to do. Thx!

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
I'm still chewing on this one. They do drive differently but not necessarily "better" or "worse," just different. The S has a noticeably tighter turning radius but also a bit more porpoising (wobbly front to back) but only compared to the T. If you compared it to pretty much any other SUV, it would probably feel more stable. It's just that the T is very stable in comparison. Not sure what you mean by "rise quality."

Noise wise - yes you can hear the compressor when it turns on. It's obvious but not annoying in my opinion. (Note that you can also hear it in the T) I was never bothered by it on our road trip and only heard it a couple of times (when parking, etc) and never during a drive that I can recall. I couldn't hear anything in the suspension. Relative: similar to the T. Absolute: yes, clearly audible, but not annoying to me.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I'm still chewing on this one. They do drive differently but not necessarily "better" or "worse," just different. The S has a noticeably tighter turning radius but also a bit more porpoising (wobbly front to back) but only compared to the T. If you compared it to pretty much any other SUV, it would probably feel more stable. It's just that the T is very stable in comparison. Not sure what you mean by "rise quality."

Noise wise - yes you can hear the compressor when it turns on. It's obvious but not annoying in my opinion. (Note that you can also hear it in the T) I was never bothered by it on our road trip and only heard it a couple of times (when parking, etc) and never during a drive that I can recall. I couldn't hear anything in the suspension. Relative: similar to the T. Absolute: yes, clearly audible, but not annoying to me.
Thanks, I meant ride quality, it was an autocorrect error. How do you find the S vs the T for that!

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
I have the same question. I’m likely to opt for an R1T, but the R1S would be my preferred form-factor, as I’d rather have an SUV & shorter vehicle for maneuvering.
see my other reply.
As for form factor, they are very similar (same width) but the truck does feel longer.

I'm planning to do a proper side-by-side review as soon as I can get my head on straight. You know, kids, holidays... yikes.

Thx for watching!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Thanks, I meant ride quality, it was an autocorrect error. How do you find the S vs the T for that!
Ah, that makes more sense.

Here's a funny thing: when I first drove the R1S through a windy mountain pass just after taking ownership, I got really car sick. Note that I can get car sick practically standing still, so it's not really a surprise. But, I think it was partly because my body felt like it was in the T (so similar) and yet it was bouncing around more so it got confused. No puking, if you're wondering. :)
In other words, you can feel the shorter wheelbase. Note also that the tires/wheels are different and I haven't had a chance to swap them yet for comparison. So, the drive differences may be partly due to the different wheels, but I don't think by much.

I do like driving the truck better. But, after getting used to the R1S, that gap has closed. The ride quality is very similar. Both are very good IMO. Yes, the S turns tighter, and it can actually fit in my garage (just barely) so that's probably why my wife prefers it to the R1T.

But, if you need a pile of lumber, there's only one choice.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

@Pixelshot Can't thank you enough for your really insightful videos and all the engagement on the Forums. I think it is fair to say you are Super Rivian Dad in these neck of the woods!

I have have an R1T finally ready to be configured but have requested to put the reservation in hold status until they get the power cover worked out - I really would like to have a power tonneau.

That said, all of the reviews for the R1S has really tempted me to change my reservation. You are probably the only resource for many of us that has BOTH the R1T and R1S so your insight about which version provides the best overall experience is really helpful.

I don't need a people hauler in my situation. But, I also rarely need to haul a load of lumber. I had my R1T First Mile drive back in May of this year and was so impressed by how it handled. The form factor of the R1S makes more sense (smaller, tighter turning radius - fully enclosed storage) but the differences in the handling between the R1S (as reported my many including Car and Driver) is what is giving me pause.

Really looking forward to your side-by-side video. Keep up the amazing work!

prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1S LE
Clubs

Road Trip - SPREADSHEET p1.png
Road Trip - SPREADSHEET p2.png
Thanks for sharing the insights. Did you wrap your car glossy? I have the exact same configuration as yours.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Pix,

MATE!!! One of the best Rivian reviews, ever! You are my 2nd favourite reviewer now. Chris Harris is the first so you're in good company. What I loved was the way you went over the essential gear. I would have never thought of 90% of that. The trash can was brilliant. Your entire approach was very different compared to most of the reviews out there.

PLEASE, keep this up! Thank you mate!

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
@Pixelshot

Great stuff, watched everything through once by myself and then again with the wife (on a big screen in Dolby Digital :D)

I don't need a people hauler in my situation. But, I also rarely need to haul a load of lumber. I had my R1T First Mile drive back in May of this year and was so impressed by how it handled. The form factor of the R1S makes more sense (smaller, tighter turning radius - fully enclosed storage) but the differences in the handling between the R1S (as reported my many including Car and Driver) is what is giving me pause.
I'm kind of in the same place - I haven't done an "intro" post, but I'm looking to replace our Tesla M3P, and our other vehicle is a Wrangler 4xe (which we're keeping).

The latter was the result of: 1) wanting to try out an EV by way of a PHEV, got it back in April '21, and 2) coming from a Durango DD/RT and we realized we didn't really need a 3-row.

That second point is sort of where I'm at with a Rivian, don't really need the extra people space - and also, like you pointed out, our need for a truck (with an open bed) is pretty infrequent too.

I guess - sort of thinking out loud:

I've never owned a truck (Dad did, and in the SE, I'm surrounded by them, there's two across the street :D), so it would be something new, probably make trips for mulch a little easier.

I think the cases of needing to seat for that 5 are less than the situations where a truck would be handy.

I'm sort of in want-this-now mode, and there are some low mileage R1Ts for sale, right now, that I could have in a week (vs. waiting on a new R1S and/or for the used market to get a decent number of vehicles).

We have, and are keeping, our "closed back" SUV-ish sort of ride with the Wrangler (though we're about to remove the top ... :cool:)

Sounds like I've talked myself into the T vs. the S :D
Sponsored