Sponsored

50 Miles of Extra Range For $10,000?

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

People keep mixing scenarios in these discussions. Lawrence of Blaine's signature indicates an R1S reservation, which means his was never configured with a max pack and his pricing could only ever have been for the large pack and quad motors -- assuming a pre-March 1 2022 pre-order. The email pasted in this thread only went to people with an R1T pre-order configured with a max pack. The pricing offered to them was to change from an R1T Quad Max to an R1T Dual Max. Rivian has not told anybody what pricing will look like for any scenario other than that one, for pre-March 1 pre-orders.
Per Rivian sub Reddit in a February "Rivian Responds"
Short version
Any option not available at time of preorder that you wish to add will bump you into current pricing.

Rivian R1T R1S 50 Miles of Extra Range For $10,000? Screenshot_20230305_105639_Reddit
Sponsored

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
I just don’t understand how absolutely no one gets this.

Max Pack wasn’t available for the R1S originally with pre-March pricing. Just the large. SO IT WON’T QUALIFY FOR ANY PRICE REDUCTIONS. imho it’ll be 10K if not more than the large pack similar to the R1T. not only that but dual motors weren’t available before March 1. So again there’s no price break here. Period.

The R1T WAS available with a max pack (quad motor) pre-March 1. However since Rivian is no longer offering quad + max and is only offering dual + max they’re giving people a price break.

I’m not sure why there’s so much confusion about this since given all the available info (Rivian responds via Reddit), this forum, official communication via email, it’s all pretty clear.

If it was offered pre-March 1, R1T Quad + Max in this case, you’ll be able to get a pricing break when switching to dual + max.

If it wasn’t introduced until after March 1, R1S Max Pack, dual motor, etc., you won’t be able to get any kind of price break.

The end.

Dublin ‘Eer

First Name
Franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Occupation
CPA

Max Pack wasn’t available for the R1S originally with pre-March pricing. Just the large. SO IT WON’T QUALIFY FOR ANY PRICE REDUCTIONS. imho it’ll be 10K if not more than the large pack similar to the R1T. not only that but dual motors weren’t available before March 1. So again there’s no price break here. Period.

The R1T WAS available with a max pack (quad motor) pre-March 1. However since Rivian is no longer offering quad + max and is only offering dual + max they’re giving people a price break.

I’m not sure why there’s so much confusion about this since given all the available info (Rivian responds via Reddit), this forum, official communication via email, it’s all pretty clear.

If it was offered pre-March 1, R1T Quad + Max in this case, you’ll be able to get a pricing break when switching to dual + max.

If it wasn’t introduced until after March 1, R1S Max Pack, dual motor, etc., you won’t be able to get any kind of price break.

The end.
So I have a pre-price hike reservation for an R1S. If what you're saying is true (and I believe it is), then I could switch to an R1T max pack and keep the pre-price hike pricing, but if I get an R1S max pack (which is the version I really want), then I would have to pay the increased price? I believe that is the current stance, but it just doesn't make sense.

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

The end.
If you are right that Rivian‘s offer to pre-March 1, 2022 R1S preorder holders from quad/large to dual/max will be a $10,000+ price hike I think there will be few takers. Time will tell if that actually is what is offered.

gonefishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 honda civic
The R1S was available with the max pack at one point and got removed along with the Explorer trim. It's strange that Rivian is allowing all pre march orders to buy accessories and change configurations without any price hike but is not being very clear that that doesn't apply to one or two configuration changes

Sponsored

elfordon

First Name
Elfordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Large Charge Marge (Max Pack R1T)
Occupation
retired
Clubs

For pre-March 2021 customers, the dual-max is $5500 more expensive than the Large; the dual-max-ultra is $8000 more than Large. In both cases the range is 70+ miles over the Large, or 20+% more range. In Conserve the dual-max range will be even more.
Even with 20" ATs, people are getting close to 350 miles on their R1Ts. So the range difference between a "~400 mile" max pack and a 350 mile large pack is around 50, not 70+.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Even with 20" ATs, people are getting close to 350 miles on their R1Ts. So the range difference between a "~400 mile" max pack and a 350 mile large pack is around 50, not 70+.
If someone is getting 350 miles in AP on the 20” ATs there is a large tailwind/down hill for 350 miles. 300 miles is possible in Conserve but there is just no way 350 is possible in normal conditions.

Also to @Rivian_Hugh_III defense we need to compare apples to apples. Large pack quad motor EPA range is 328 miles. I assume when Rivian says 400 that is the apples to apples comparison. We haven’t seen EPA estimated range on a DM large pack as far as I know.

Last edited:

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
350 is in Conserve. That percent increase would also apply to the Dual-Max. If 350 is a 16% increase over 300 for the 20” AT in Conserve, then the Dual-Max with the same wheels would be (400*90%)*1.16=418 miles per charge. The 90% is to account for 20”AT being 10% less efficient than the 21”, which is what would achieve the 400.

I do doubt people are getting 350 on AT’s. What are the 21” people getting? Should be 10% more=385. No one is reporting that.

Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

If someone is getting 350 miles in AP on the 20” ATs there is a large tailwind/down hill for 350 miles. 300 miles is possible in Conserve but there is just no way 350 is possible in normal conditions.

Also to @Rivian_Hugh_III defense we need to compare apples to apples. Large pack quad motor EPA range is 328 miles. I assume when Rivian says 400 that is the apples to apples comparison. We haven’t seen EPA estimated range on a DM large pack as far as I know.
Exactly! No one is getting anywhere near 350 miles on the highway with 20 AT's.....300 at 65mph max on the freeway......and it better be mostly flat with zero headwind.....

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I began the drive with 100% SOC and 347 miles of range reading in Conserve mode. My truck has 20" AT's on it.
Does your truck know it has 20s on it? The range you quoted sounds like the 21s. The newest rated range for the 20s is much less than 347 miles.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The added pack weight will reduce even further, the usable payload, "kW/Mi efficiency" and tongue weight. To each....
I have a feeling the max pack pack with dual motor will weigh the same or less than our quad motor configuration. Dual motor should be a weight reduction, and I think the max pack is solely increase energy density from a different cell chemistry at this point.

If you are right that Rivian‘s offer to pre-March 1, 2022 R1S preorder holders from quad/large to dual/max will be a $10,000+ price hike I think there will be few takers. Time will tell if that actually is what is offered.
If it's $10k to bump to max and then a reduction of 4.5k for dual motor like the r1t max, I'll probably jump on it.

Reactions: Jac

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
Does your truck know it has 20s on it? The range you quoted sounds like the 21s. The newest rated range for the 20s is much less than 347 miles.
Yes the truck software is configured for 20's.
Sponsored