Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
On my way home from a 200 mile jaunt into New York City yesterday, adaptive cruise control was unavailable for the entire return trip. . This is a mapped highway and I used Driver+ earlier on the trip in. Does anyone know why adaptive cruise control and Driver+ would suddenly become unavailable? TIA
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

On my way home from a 200 mile jaunt into New York City yesterday, adaptive cruise control was unavailable for the entire return trip. . This is a mapped highway and I used Driver+ earlier on the trip in. Does anyone know why adaptive cruise control and Driver+ would suddenly become unavailable? TIA
Were you driving over 85 mph?

HokieR1T

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T LG/BM/20 AT
Same thing happened to me yesterday. 700 mile drive. It worked fine earlier in the day, but not the last 100 miles. The part where I had open highways and my leg/knee really needed cruise control.
Was it at night? or daylight? My last 100 miles was after a charging stop and the Sun went down, could that have impacted cruise control

OP
OP

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
OP
OP

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Same thing happened to me yesterday. 700 mile drive. It worked fine earlier in the day, but not the last 100 miles. The part where I had open highways and my leg/knee really needed cruise control.
Was it at night? or daylight? My last 100 miles was after a charging stop and the Sun went down, could that have impacted cruise control
Hmm. It was a nice, partly sunny afternoon, but it was also after a charging stop.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I have had this happen a few times on my current road trip. A hard reset fixes it, I reported to service and they didn’t have any explanation except to try the reset. So in Rivian speak they don’t know what’s wrong or don’t want to tell us, I suspect a software issue of some kind.

Edit: Again this morning when I left the hotel.

Don’t believe this is bugs or dirt etc. This is a software/hardware bug because it is fixed with a hard reset. You will notice that the radar is not functioning when it happens. Makes me wonder what other safety features may not be working correctly.

Last edited:

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I had the same issue during a long road trip to Montana. Worked fine on the way up, but stopped working on the way back. I chalked it up to potentially being all the dirt and bugs caked on the sensors. Started working again after I got home, let it sleep overnight and washed the truck. This was all during daylight hours, and mostly north/south driving - so not into direct sun.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I had the same issue during a long road trip to Montana. Worked fine on the way up, but stopped working on the way back. I chalked it up to potentially being all the dirt and bugs caked on the sensors. Started working again after I got home, let it sleep overnight and washed the truck. This was all during daylight hours, and mostly north/south driving - so not into direct sun.
I believe that this can cause the error. If you get bugs or dirt occluding or disrupting one of the sensors, it won’t work. It happened to me after getting coated in rain and dust but resolved after cleaning.

OP
OP

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I believe that this can cause the error. If you get bugs or dirt occluding or disrupting one of the sensors, it won’t work. It happened to me after getting coated in rain and dust but resolved after cleaning.
Mine is working again today after an overnight sleep and charge. No cleaning. I don’t think it’s dirt or bugs.

tyfly867

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
370z, Chevy Suburban
Happened to me today as well. I will see if an overnight sleep will reset it.

Sponsored

hayduke

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Also have had this issue. Leaving the car to sleep made it work again. I thought it might be bugs or dirt but don't think that is the cause.

I haven't seen much mention of having an option for normal manual cruise control. The manual states that manual cruise control is available in towing mode. It also states in this manual mode the vehicle won't slow behind other cars (duh) and also won't slow down on a steep hill to maintain the set speed because it doesn't use the "brakes" (not sure I follow there, regen is probably sufficient to maintain a steady highway speed in nearly every scenario).

Between ACC being not available (for some reason) at all, slamming on the brakes when "phantom" obstacles are seen, slowing down (pretty conservatively - way under the speed limit on interstates) around corners, not being available driving into the sun, it sure makes me miss my humble 2008 Subaru for road trips: set CC, drive with thumbs. Pretty simple, always worked.

I expected I'd google around for some way to set manual cruise but the vehicle manual and lack of info on forums makes me think it does not exist?

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Does the truck still not revert to standard (non-adaptive) cruise when the adaptive system is unavailable? If not, it's inexcusable.

As for phantom braking...I've started noticing my MINI doing this more often where it never really did before (and they don't do OTA updates that I'm aware of). The situations I've noticed it is going under overpasses with heavy shadows and while driving past a turn lane full of cars.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Does the truck still not revert to standard (non-adaptive) cruise when the adaptive system is unavailable? If not, it's inexcusable.
Nope. Exactly the feedback I gave to support when I was driving through Utah and this happened you know as a suggestion.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
In my case a number of radar related features had become disabled. The vehicle was telling me “Driver+ unavailable” - but all radar related features were disabled: neighboring cars, rear cross traffic., blind spots, adaptive cruise control

No “standard cruise control”. In fact, down clicking the right stalk did nothing eventually. No cruise, no notice that cruise was unavailable , just nothing.

Bizarrely, I’m being told this was a firmware bug and should be fixed with the newest software. I’m incredulous because I feel like 10k people would be complaining about stuff as serious as this being disabled by a firmware bug.
Sponsored

Last edited: