Sponsored

Adaptive Cruise Control unavailable due to rain

Rgrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Just got my R1S yesterday. Had a chance to test ACC in light/medium rain this morning. First time I tried to engage it, I got "Camera blurred" or some such message. Rain was medium. A minute later, I tried again, and it turned on fine. A little later, rain got heavier and it disengaged. When rain eased up, I tried again, same thing - first attempt failed for blurred camera, second attempt succeeded.

Just wondering if others had noticed ACC not being very robust in rain. Maybe the particular camera locations are especially bad for rain (ie, hardware problem). Or maybe the firmware is just too cautious about visibility being "good enough" (ie, could possibly be fixed in later OTA update).
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Mine has trouble in heavy rain. Usually works okay in light to medium rain, but it depends on the quality of the lane lines.

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

Get used to it is my feedback…unfortunately

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

The problem with vision-based self-driving tech engineers living in California. :p

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I guess I may be outdated or have old information, I didn’t think you weren’t supposed to use cruise control in the rain in case you started to hydroplane and could lose control. Of course, that stability and safety electronics have come a long way since then.

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I have the same issue, the lightest of rain will make ACC unavailable. The R1T is definitely the wimpiest of my vehicles in that regard, even vehicles from 2016.

OP
OP

Rgrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I have 2022 Bolt EUV, and ACC there has worked well in rain. At least so far. Will have to get my wife to drive side-by-side with me in the rain and her in the Bolt... Maybe not.😉

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Can anyone who experiences this report the issue to Rivian?

My belief is this can be improved through SW updates if we keep reporting the problem.

I reported the problem last week and they pretended like it was an issue with just my vehicle.

hayduke

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I've got an idea! How about normal cruise control as an option?

It's available in towing mode, but putting the truck towing mode to get normal cruise is quite the questionable work flow.

Might nicely side-step all these fiddly cameras and sensors...

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
Same experience for almost 6 months. Also, the latest update seems to have increased phantom breaking.

Sponsored

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Sorry for dumb Q but are you sure you were engaging ACC and not “highway assist?” I’m not sure why plain ACC would need the camera, I would think it’s only radar-based.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Sorry for dumb Q but are you sure you were engaging ACC and not “highway assist?” I’m not sure why plain ACC would need the camera, I would think it’s only radar-based.
It definitely happens in ACC mode only.

I think what they're trying to do is to detect stationary objects using the camera. Things like a broken down truck in the lane or something like that. Radar isn't very good at detecting/localizing stationary objects.

In a nutshell it seems to be configured way in favor of safety over convenience. So much show that it's barely usable in the PNW during winter months.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I wish I could select Cruise Control without having to have ACC sometimes. My Ram lets me do this.

cptvitamin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Clubs

Does anyone think Rain-X or a similar product on the camera lens, or the part of the windshield that the camera lens is behind, would help?

I'm hesitant to use Rain-x because I've found your car becomes addicted to it and if you don't keep reapplying, it creates smearing and blurring as it degrades, and you can't get it entirely off without using some sort of abrasive glass polish, but if it fixes this issue, I'd use it.

FWIW, my 2018 Volvo has ACC and it works in any weather and faded lines. Solid, reliable, predictable, trustworthy.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Does anyone think Rain-X or a similar product on the camera lens, or the part of the windshield that the camera lens is behind, would help?

I'm hesitant to use Rain-x because I've found your car becomes addicted to it and if you don't keep reapplying, it creates smearing and blurring as it degrades, and you can't get it entirely off without using some sort of abrasive glass polish, but if it fixes this issue, I'd use it.

FWIW, my 2018 Volvo has ACC and it works in any weather and faded lines. Solid, reliable, predictable, trustworthy.
Thread you are replying to was before Rivian greatly improved the behavoir in heavy rain.

I use rain-x washer fluid and haven't noticed any issues at all.
Sponsored