First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD Sport
Occupation
Enterprise Transformation
I've been following as many R1T posts as I can find about the variety of RTTs that fit nicely over the small truck bed. I looked at the usual suspects (iKamper, Roofnest) and decided on the Alpha 2 from Tuff Stuff Overland (TSO). I didn't see the value (personally speaking) to spend $1K more for my needs and typical use case. I ordered the Alpha 2 directly from TSO's website (I made the decision on this RTT a few months ago and waited for a sale - I got 15% off the $2699 list price).

The Alpha 2 arrived and the shipping package was well secured, no damage. Install was a breeze. Once unboxed behind my R1T, I had 2 friends help me lift it up on the the Rivian bed rails. Centered it left/right and front/back to make sure the spoiler and hard shell of the tent had clearance but with minimal/no overhang past the tailgate.

Securing the tent to the bed rails was also easy. The mounting brackets and T-slots worked perfectly (the hardware that came with it, nothing extra was needed).

Took it for a drive in the city (Chicago, not in great area of the city, so the streets look and drive like they've been mortared by Orc invaders) and then out on the highway. No road/wind noise from the Alpha 2, can't tell/feel it's even there while driving (other than the rearview mirror blocked by the tent). Overhead/360 camera view still works great, and if I need a rear view while driving I just use the camera app in the R1T navtainment as needed.

First attempt to open/setup the tent was pretty easy, even in pretty high winds. All said, I'm happy with this purchase! Install was very straightforward. I've got a lift system (block-and-tackle pulley kit for truck toppers, up to 200 lb. lift capacity so it's more than enough for the 141 lb. Alpha 2) to install so I can drop it down from the garage ceiling in minutes and go. I'm keeping the RTT mounted to the bed rails and will unlock the bed rails and lift the whole unit off the truck using the lift kit, thinking it'll be super quick to lower the RTT already attached to the bed rails directly onto the bed rail anchors and bam, off camping.

I'm posting a couple pics (some of you may have seen my similar Reddit post), including how the mounting hardware looks on the Rivian bed rails.
Rivian R1T R1S Alpha 2 RTT on R1T - Easy Install IMG_4800
Rivian R1T R1S Alpha 2 RTT on R1T - Easy Install IMG_4804
Rivian R1T R1S Alpha 2 RTT on R1T - Easy Install IMG_4805
Rivian R1T R1S Alpha 2 RTT on R1T - Easy Install IMG_4809
Sponsored

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
@KurticusRex thanks for the write-up and pics! How are you liking the tent? How’s the included mattress (for side sleepers)? Can you keep bedding inside this taller tent design? TIA

OP
OP

KurticusRex

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
@KurticusRex thanks for the write-up and pics! How are you liking the tent? How’s the included mattress (for side sleepers)? Can you keep bedding inside this taller tent design? TIA
The tent has been great! Materials and functionality are all well done. It takes a few times opening and closing the tent to pick up a few tips and tricks - mostly the flow of tucking in any tent material as the hard shell closes fully. But it’s fast and easy.

The mattress is firm, not memory foam (which is fine because memory foam is kinda useless when cold/chilly out). I’m a side sleeper and had an unzipped sleeping bag on top of the mattress for a little more cushion, but still too hard on my shoulders. I ordered a self inflating sleeping pad and will try that on top of the mattress for 3 nights this coming weekend.

I’m not sure if the self inflating pad will be able to remain in the tent when closing. But I am able to keep 2 mummy style sleeping bags and 2 small pillows in the tent and close it up no problem. Right under the hinged area of the tent when open (when you’re on the inside) there’s several inches of width between the mattress and the interior of the shell which is perfect for a few not-too-bulky bedding items.

It rained on our first night last weekend. We stayed dry and comfy. Only issue I have is one of the holes where you insert the rod to keep open the rear-facing tent window was not drilled properly. I need to bring my drill kit with me camping this weekend and drill out the hole properly so the rod can actually be inserted into that hole. Minor issue to me.

I also liked the default accessories that came with it (two exterior hanging bags for shoes/stuff) and the interior/exterior LED lights are super useful.

pic from last weekend (tent setup) attached

Rivian R1T R1S Alpha 2 RTT on R1T - Easy Install 2D5BD48A-4692-4CA3-86E5-AF6E7DA96659

Indy avocado

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '17 Macan S, '11 Mustang GT
Thoughts on testing efficiency with it mounted backwards? Might be less drag and you might get 5 more miles :cool:

I'm serious because I love data. I'm not serious because who cares about 5 more miles.

OP
OP

KurticusRex

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Thoughts on testing efficiency with it mounted backwards? Might be less drag and you might get 5 more miles :cool:

I'm serious because I love data. I'm not serious because who cares about 5 more miles.
i think mounting it as intended will be better for range. The reason is the R1T spoiler on the back of the cab. It funnels air over the bed. If the thinner side of the RTT is behind the cab (intended install), the airflow from the spoiler hits the *top* of the RTT shell (smoother airflow).
If the thick part of the tent is behind the cab (opposite of the manufacturer recommendation), the thicker part of the shell blocks the spoiler airflow - more like and air dam.

Installed with the thinner part of the shell behind the cab, I believe, is optimal. So far I really don’t see any range hit.

Sponsored

Indy avocado

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '17 Macan S, '11 Mustang GT
i think mounting it as intended will be better for range. The reason is the R1T spoiler on the back of the cab. It funnels air over the bed. If the thinner side of the RTT is behind the cab (intended install), the airflow from the spoiler hits the *top* of the RTT shell (smoother airflow).
If the thick part of the tent is behind the cab (opposite of the manufacturer recommendation), the thicker part of the shell blocks the spoiler airflow - more like and air dam.

Installed with the thinner part of the shell behind the cab, I believe, is optimal. So far I really don’t see any range hit.
Looking close, I think the front is pretty optimal in the slip stream of the cab, but now you have the bigger part at the rear, leaving a bigger wake.

I'm genuinely curious. But it sounds like it doesn't matter, and obviously the tent was designed to ride the way you have it.

Anyway, nice looking setup!

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Looking close, I think the front is pretty optimal in the slip stream of the cab, but now you have the bigger part at the rear, leaving a bigger wake.

I'm genuinely curious. But it sounds like it doesn't matter, and obviously the tent was designed to ride the way you have it.

Anyway, nice looking setup!
I think people were asking some of the site sponsors to create spoiler plugs for this exact purpose... Someone tested with a bunch of painter's tape, and it made a significant increase in their efficiency having the spoiler not route air down if they had a RTT installed...

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
I think people were asking some of the site sponsors to create spoiler plugs for this exact purpose... Someone tested with a bunch of painter's tape, and it made a significant increase in their efficiency having the spoiler not route air down if they had a RTT installed...
Haha yes I just happened to watch that YouTube video from Charge Overland. Is he on this site? I’d love to see roof spoiler plugs made.

Regarding the Alpha installation direction, I know they also adamantly state the tent should open to the passenger side so I wonder if there’s any specific issues with a “backwards” install (eg: air catching something it shouldn’t).

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Regarding the Alpha installation direction, I know they also adamantly state the tent should open to the passenger side so I wonder if there’s any specific issues with a “backwards” install (eg: air catching something it shouldn’t).
Most if not all RTT manufacturers want you to install with the ladder on the passenger side, even those that don't have an aero profile. Pretty sure that's so if you pull off the road and setup the tent it won't be on the street-side. Who knows.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Most if not all RTT manufacturers want you to install with the ladder on the passenger side, even those that don't have an aero profile. Pretty sure that's so if you pull off the road and setup the tent it won't be on the street-side. Who knows.
Yes, that's the same reason why the door on a travel trailer and the door on a passenger van is on the passenger side, I don't know if there are federal regulations about this, but given that everyone does it that way I suspect there are.

Sponsored

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Yes, that's the same reason why the door on a travel trailer and the door on a passenger van is on the passenger side, I don't know if there are federal regulations about this, but given that everyone does it that way I suspect there are.
Cool so as with other RTTs, sounds fine to try it backwards if that suits anyone. Since its shape is more asymmetrical than most, I was wondering more than usual.

Glad to see another option on an R1T bed and maybe someone tries the Alpha 1, which is 12” longer than my Nomad 1300 (75” vs 63”).

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I plan to try my iKamper backwards eventually. That might become necessary (eventually) if the Camp Kitchen redesign still pulls out the passenger side, because the tent in its default position will interfere with that.

JohnnyRocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Porsche 911 C4S, 2022 Rivian R1T

How happy are you with the Alpha II after 6 months? Have you used it a lot and how has your experience with range been? It is on sale for 20% off right now.

OP
OP

KurticusRex

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
How happy are you with the Alpha II after 6 months? Have you used it a lot and how has your experience with range been? It is on sale for 20% off right now.

I’ve been very happy with the Alpha 2! I got out maybe 5 weekends this summer with just the tent. I also ended up getting a super aerodynamic camper trailer and have used them both all summer (5 additional weekends with both). TBH I don’t think the Alpha 2 impacts range noticeably. My lifetime is 2.34 miles/kWh and that includes towing. I drove with the RTT to Florida and back from Chicago (camper trailer was bought from a private party in WPB, so about a 2,700 mile round trip).

I got the Alpha 2 on sale and am pleased with the materials, build quality, features, and cost. There are several great tenses out there but I think this one hits the sweet spot for cost, quality, features

JohnnyRocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Porsche 911 C4S, 2022 Rivian R1T
I’ve been very happy with the Alpha 2! I got out maybe 5 weekends this summer with just the tent. I also ended up getting a super aerodynamic camper trailer and have used them both all summer (5 additional weekends with both). TBH I don’t think the Alpha 2 impacts range noticeably. My lifetime is 2.34 miles/kWh and that includes towing. I drove with the RTT to Florida and back from Chicago (camper trailer was bought from a private party in WPB, so about a 2,700 mile round trip).

I got the Alpha 2 on sale and am pleased with the materials, build quality, features, and cost. There are several great tenses out there but I think this one hits the sweet spot for cost, quality, features
That’s a great lifetime average. What is the type of trailer do you tow? I might consider doing the same in the future. I did go ahead and pull the trigger on the tent to take advantage of the sale price. I probably won’t get it out until spring. I’m in Pittsburgh.
Sponsored