Sponsored

Another day, another water issue - water in the door?

booeyoh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chrysler Pacifica, 2007 Honda CRV
Occupation
Software Developer
Has anyone else heard sloshing in some cavity in their R1? Today it was raining for awhile and when I got in my car and was accelerating or stopping I heard what sounded like sloshing in the driver side door (or somewhere near that).

I had heard it before but chalked it up to some strange but unconcerning situation, but after my in car shower the other day, I am concerned I might have multiple bad seals????
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Has anyone else heard sloshing in some cavity in their R1? Today it was raining for awhile and when I got in my car and was accelerating or stopping I heard what sounded like sloshing in the driver side door (or somewhere near that).

I had heard it before but chalked it up to some strange but unconcerning situation, but after my in car shower the other day, I am concerned I might have multiple bad seals????
This is a known issue. This was added to my work order without me requesting anything:

"Water may collect in the rocker panels under certain conditions such as water fording or heavy precipitation. Rivian will inspect the area and, if necessary, retrofit a one way drain valve to allowproper drainage."

Correction/Remedy:- Replace LH plug with drain valve; replace RH plug with drain valve

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

This is a known issue. This was added to my work order without me requesting anything:

"Water may collect in the rocker panels under certain conditions such as water fording or heavy precipitation. Rivian will inspect the area and, if necessary, retrofit a one way drain valve to allowproper drainage."

Correction/Remedy:- Replace LH plug with drain valve; replace RH plug with drain valve
sounds like they only replace it if water collects. and it can happen due to water fording or heavy precipitation? isnt pretty much every vehicle going to go through heavy precipitation? why not put the drain valve in all vehicles to begin with? makes me wonder why water gets in there with some vehicles and not others? some defect causing it for some but not others? overall kinda wierd.

Reactions: Guy

NachoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep SRT
Occupation
Rivan pre-order hodl'er
Learned last week during a mobile service that the doors are designed to allow water to drain..and sometimes the drains get plugged up. I noticed the bottom of my door (with panel removed) was wet on the bottom.

If you're hearing sloshing, maybe you can find those plugs without having to remove the trim?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
sounds like they only replace it if water collects. and it can happen due to water fording or heavy precipitation? isnt pretty much every vehicle going to go through heavy precipitation? why not put the drain valve in all vehicles to begin with? makes me wonder why water gets in there with some vehicles and not others? some defect causing it for some but not others? overall kinda wierd.
They normally do drain, and are designed to do so, but sometimes get clogged. Mine had no indication of failure to drain, no water issues (in the door, anyway), and no sloshing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
booeyoh

booeyoh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chrysler Pacifica, 2007 Honda CRV
Occupation
Software Developer

Thanks, that is super helpful info! I will ask them to add this to my mobile appointment next week .

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
I hope that does not start causing interior corrosion.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Just an FYI. This can happen to any car when drain holes/valves get clogged. It happened to my old Raptor. I just unclogged the holes and let it drain.

Interestingly enough, it’s never happened to my Jeep. I’ve driven it through 3-4 feet of water on several occasions and it always drains dry.

louisdeg

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Red Canyon/Forest Edge, 21” wheels
Occupation
Home inspector
I had a problem where after a heavy rain my drivers door would dump a pint or two on the ground when I opened it. At my last service appointment they replaced a valve and fixed it.
Sponsored