First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
employed
I'm a big fan of the 1Up bike racks and have had one for several years. With the purchase of the R1T and the Rivian Crossbars, I had to switch from the traditional 1Up mounts to what they refer to as "flush mount". I've added some pictures for reference.

This new flush mount however has a security flaw. The hex bolt that secures the rack to the cross bars is easily accessible to anyone with the right sized Allen wrench. It would be fairly easy to unbolt the rack with or without a bike on it.

I can't take credit for the idea because I got from a buddy but I thought it was such an elegant solution that I had to share. I purchased a small bag of 5mm solid plastic ball bearings. Had to order a 100 even though I only needed 4. I then took the plastic bearing and tapped them into the hex bolt. The bearing are just a little larger than the hex and with a slight tap of a hammer, they are nice and snug.

So how does this prevent theft, you might ask? Well, it simply prevents an Allen wrench from fitting into the whole. Can't get the wrench in the whole, can't unscrew the bolt, can't steal the rack or the bike.

If I ever have to remove the rack from crossbars, I can simply pry them out with a pick or drill through them with a small drill bit. Plus, I've go 96 more available!

Here is a link to amazon.

Rivian R1T R1S Antitheft Device for 1Up Bike Racks on Rivian Crossbars IMG_6095

Rivian R1T R1S Antitheft Device for 1Up Bike Racks on Rivian Crossbars IMG_6096

Rivian R1T R1S Antitheft Device for 1Up Bike Racks on Rivian Crossbars IMG_6109

Rivian R1T R1S Antitheft Device for 1Up Bike Racks on Rivian Crossbars IMG_6108
Sponsored

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
I'm a big fan of the 1Up bike racks and have had one for several years. With the purchase of the R1T and the Rivian Crossbars, I had to switch from the traditional 1Up mounts to what they refer to as "flush mount". I've added some pictures for reference.

This new flush mount however has a security flaw. The hex bolt that secures the rack to the cross bars is easily accessible to anyone with the right sized Allen wrench. It would be fairly easy to unbolt the rack with or without a bike on it.

I can't take credit for the idea because I got from a buddy but I thought it was such an elegant solution that I had to share. I purchased a small bag of 5mm solid plastic ball bearings. Had to order a 100 even though I only needed 4. I then took the plastic bearing and tapped them into the hex bolt. The bearing are just a little larger than the hex and with a slight tap of a hammer, they are nice and snug.

So how does this prevent theft, you might ask? Well, it simply prevents an Allen wrench from fitting into the whole. Can't get the wrench in the whole, can't unscrew the bolt, can't steal the rack or the bike.

If I ever have to remove the rack from crossbars, I can simply pry them out with a pick or drill through them with a small drill bit. Plus, I've go 96 more available!

IMG_6095.jpg

IMG_6096.jpg

IMG_6109.jpg

IMG_6108.jpg
Rack solutions aside (well done there), love those bikes! Wouldn't worry about the rack as much as that beauty of a Ripmo.

2 questions for you: What size are the bikes? How do you make sure your front wheel holder on each rack isn't going to contact the spoiler /lip?

OP
OP

marbro67

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
employed
The RIPMO is a 29” wheel and the gravel bike is a 27.5. To prevent the tire rubbing the spoiler, I used a sharpie to mark the rail so I know how far to lift the front part of the rack. So far so good.

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker

IMG_6095.jpg

IMG_6096.jpg

IMG_6109.jpg

IMG_6108.jpg
Can you explain more about the "flush mount"? The only thing I see on their web site is bike racks that are hitch-mounted. Are these flush mounts made by 1Up and can you buy them individually? thx

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Antitheft Device for 1Up Bike Racks on Rivian Crossbars IMG_20220426_150657

25¢ solution to your ball bearing blockage.

Your move, Marc.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The ball bearings are a great and cheap solution. Not knowing what size that bolt is, I was going to ask if you could replace it with a security style like these:

ElCapiTan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mustang
Occupation
Computer Janitor
Off-Topic: Just want to chime in to say the 21's are looking good, even with the aero insert! They don't get enough love.

OP
OP

marbro67

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
employed
Can you explain more about the "flush mount"? The only thing I see on their web site is bike racks that are hitch-mounted. Are these flush mounts made by 1Up and can you buy them individually? thx
yes they make flush mount. It’s listed under roof racks and then when you select the rack, there is an option for flush mount.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Check out the roof racks here: Roof Rack – 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE (1up-usa.com)

The "flush mount" mounts to the crossbar t-slot rather than using a bracket, so it's just a tidier install.

A cool thing about the 1UP USA racks is you can buy another part to convert the roof racks to a hitch mount if you want (and incrementally add more rack units). Very cool modular system. 2’’ Single-Hitch Assembly Slotted – 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE (1up-usa.com)

Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
The ball bearings are a great and cheap solution. Not knowing what size that bolt is, I was going to ask if you could replace it with a security style like these:
I wanted to replace with tamper-resist, security bolts. I asked 1UP the size of the bolts used. They are 5/16-18 x 3/4" long. These are the correct size and in stainless steel. The replacement bolts and tool are less than $30 shipped.

Tamper-Resistant Torx Flat Head Screws
5/16"-18 Thread, 3/4" Long, pack of 10
McMaster Carr part number: 91870A270
https://www.mcmaster.com/91870A270/

Tamper-Resistant Torx L-Key
with Standard Tip, T40 Size
McMaster Carr part number: 55525A32
https://www.mcmaster.com/55525A32/

Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I wanted to replace with tamper-resist, security bolts. I asked 1UP the size of the bolts used. They are 5/16-18 x 3/4" long. These are the correct size and in stainless steel. The replacement bolts and tool are less than $30 shipped.

Tamper-Resistant Torx Flat Head Screws
5/16"-18 Thread, 3/4" Long, pack of 10
McMaster Carr part number: 91870A270
https://www.mcmaster.com/91870A270/

Tamper-Resistant Torx L-Key
with Standard Tip, T40 Size
McMaster Carr part number: 55525A32
https://www.mcmaster.com/55525A32/
It worked like a charm. See pic for fix. I replaced all four bolts.

Rivian R1T R1S Antitheft Device for 1Up Bike Racks on Rivian Crossbars Tamper resist bolt for 1up.JPG
Sponsored