Sponsored

1T2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T3YR1T
Clubs

If you want to take care of battery, don't charge past 80% regularly. To be safe, 75%.
Sponsored

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
Beware of how you calculate degradation. BMS can be off by a few percent. Additionally, my total range shows way less in winter than it does in summer as it naturally accounts for weather impacts. If you’re not checking this with Tesla diagnostics, your numbers could easily swing 5-7% which would put your degradation in the 6-7% normal range.
Or, it could put it in the 21 to 22% range.

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
Battery degradation is something a lot of folks worry about. I have been driving EVs for going on 7 years now. Degradation is not normally an issue these days with active thermal management. There is a normal amount of degradation after the 1st year and after that it tapers off. Even folks that almost exclusively DCFC are not seeing significant increase in degradation (not rivian specific here). Charging over 90% frequently, discharging it below 10% frequently, or charging to 100% and allowing the vehicle to sit with a high state of charge will most certainly accelerate degradation. Set your charge limit to 85% and only charge above that for road trips. Try to avoid running it below 10% if possible.

To measure degradation, unless the vehicle had a mechanism for doing this, you must charge to 100%, fully discharge, and then fully recharge to 100%. This will tell you how much you pulled out of the battery, and then how much you were able to put back into the battery. You also want to know what the official usable capacity of the battery is from new. Using this information you can fairly accurately determine your degradation. Most of that will happen in the first 12 months though. With different brands it is fairly normal to see about 10% degradation over 100k miles. Sometimes a little more or a little less. I suspect a lot of that probably occurs in the first year....at least half of it.
What he said^^^^^^^^^

Too many people worry about this, the battery is going to degrade regardless of what you do to it with the vast majority of degradation occurring in the first year. Charge how you want to the percentage you want, it won't drop below the 30% degradation that they will replace the battery for. Short of cell module or individual cell faults I doubt anyone will ever get close to 30% degradation.

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
What he said^^^^^^^^^

Too many people worry about this, the battery is going to degrade regardless of what you do to it with the vast majority of degradation occurring in the first year. Charge how you want to the percentage you want, it won't drop below the 30% degradation that they will replace the battery for. Short of cell module or individual cell faults I doubt anyone will ever get close to 30% degradation.
Well, we all know it will degrade, but 15% to 30% degradation is a bit much. In my case with the tesla is around 15 to 16% right now. Hell, I wished it is more than 30% so I can get a warranty replacement.

Sponsored

ADVNOW

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler JK, JL 4XE
Occupation
Manufacturing
Clubs

I have had R1T for 14 months with 19078 miles, AT wheel package, daily commute mostly in conserve mode, have done several long trips were it has been charged to 100% during those trips, regular charging 70% and charge everyday roughly about 18kw a day, we have camped several time consuming the battery with electric appliances (fridge, grill, coffee pot, toaster), been off-roading several time. Desert runs in summer and freezing temps in Tahoe.

I have not noticed any degradation with the truck as of yet. With the software update adding miles its harder to tell but I cant see any degradation I still get 2.21 miles per Kw on average.

I don't drive it rough with quick starts (this has also saved my tires, I see so many post about tread wear with 10k or less miles A assume they stomp on it every chance they get) Although I have raced it up the mountain roads a few times and the handling is amazing considering the size and weight of the truck.

I think year 2 and 3 will have more visibility on degradation. I'm hoping their battery management system minimizes this impact.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
Here's to Rivian remaining solvent. I'm vested, both in a truck and RIVN stock. Warranty:

• Battery Pack: Coverage includes all components inside the high-voltage battery and 70% or more of the battery capacity for 8 years or 175,000 miles, whichever comes first

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Should be covered under warranty. I have 81k miles on my Tesla Model S over 6 years and only have 10%.
Maybe it is for the model S? I'm very positive that it required 30% degrade for them to do anything. Been told by tesla service center.

Last edited:

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
I've never seen any manufacturer warranty less than 30% battery capacity

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I've never seen any manufacturer warranty less than 30% battery capacity
Yes from what I have seen manufacturer usually guarantee at least 70% capacity over the life of warranty. So 30% I would say is industry standard for HV battery warranty for EVs. Tesla on guarantee theirs for 120,000 miles so Rivian has a decent warranty.

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Recurrent Auto now has R1T as a choice of an EV. It's an easy way to get a monthly report about your EV's battery capacity and range degradation. I've been using it for my almost 5 yr old Model 3 and plan to use it whenever my R1S is delivered.

Rivian R1T R1S Any Battery Degradation in your Rivian yet? c6128938dbaccc4d8f7456d692de0c45

EV Battery Health & Wellness Reports for Owners

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Recurrent Auto now has R1T as a choice of an EV. It's an easy way to get a monthly report about your EV's battery capacity and range degradation. I've been using it for my almost 5 yr old Model 3 and plan to use it whenever my R1S is delivered.

c6128938dbaccc4d8f7456d692de0c45.jpg
EV Battery Health & Wellness Reports for Owners
Interesting - give data on the owned vehicle for them to sell and make money so a monthly report can be given to the vehicle owner

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Sorry to be dense, but how would one know if they have degradation?

My estimated range is always different, depending on recent driving patterns, latest OTA updates, etc.

So, where do I look to see if I have any degradation?
At least you're not being obtuse.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

At least you're not being obtuse.
Rivian R1T R1S Any Battery Degradation in your Rivian yet? IMG_20230426_221118

23k miles, 13 months, 20 ATs.

I gained 2 miles on my All Purpose today after gunning it around grandmas and logging trucks in Sport mode for an hour (I love the Olympic Peninsula), 288 miles on full battery prediction.
Sponsored