punjabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software
Clubs

I was wondering why my ears were burning!

That someone was me - and my Guide Anthony broke the news to me a few weeks ago so @punjabi we are likely going to be waiting a while since you and I are in the same boat.

I was supposed to take delivery in DEC/JAN so I've been delayed now 6 months and it sucks but it's power tonneau cover or bust for me!

My least educated guess is that best case scenario it enters production by Q4. Worst case Q1 next year...
Thank you very much. Good at least your guide gave you straight answer.
My Guide Devin didn't give any timeline and offered me to put a pause on order which i did. I am in no way in rush to accept delivery. I also want power tonneau cover.
so i am going to wait through end of year and i would like to think that gives us also a chance to get hands on slightly mature product.
Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Thank you very much. Good at least your guide gave you straight answer.
My Guide Devin didn't give any timeline and offered me to put a pause on order which i did. I am in no way in rush to accept delivery. I also want power tonneau cover.
so i am going to wait through end of year and i would like to think that gives us also a chance to get hands on slightly mature product.
I couldn't agree with you more. I have lived through first generation vehicles (EVs and ICE) and have experienced the range of gremlins that those products invariably have.

When the i3 was first introduced by BMW, I sat in the display vehicle at CES and was absolutely wowed by the technology. BMW reinvented how to make vehicles, creating an entirely new process for molding carbon fiber and building an entire new plant, run by 100% renewable energy to build the i3.

I jumped on the first model year and it was absolutely miserable. While I loved the i3, it had repeated issues that left me stranded on the side of the road repeatedly and little things that took repeated trips to the dealer to identify and fix. Since this was BMW's first EV the dealers really didn't know what to do with it and often times had to wait for someone from corporate to help troubleshoot.

The breadth of issues meant that I didn't have a case for a lemon law return because they would fix one issue (usually within 2 tries) and another issue would pop up.

I ended up selling the vehicle at a tremendous loss and vowed to never purchase an EV again. I still loved the i3 though and I decided to lease starting with the 2016 model year and have been leasing ever since. BMW really figured things out with the later years and now the i3 is rock solid.

That same trajectory happens with nearly every new production model. So the long of the short of it is, the longer you wait, the more issues get identified and fixed, and the more reliable the vehicle becomes.

Just be extra nice to all the folks on the forum who own Rivians right now and are beta testers for the rest of us so that we don't have to be when we finally get our R1 or even R2 vehicles. :)

OP
OP

punjabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software
Clubs

I couldn't agree with you more. I have lived through first generation vehicles (EVs and ICE) and have experienced the range of gremlins that those products invariably have.

When the i3 was first introduced by BMW, I sat in the display vehicle at CES and was absolutely wowed by the technology. BMW reinvented how to make vehicles, creating an entirely new process for molding carbon fiber and building an entire new plant, run by 100% renewable energy to build the i3.

I jumped on the first model year and it was absolutely miserable. While I loved the i3, it had repeated issues that left me stranded on the side of the road repeatedly and little things that took repeated trips to the dealer to identify and fix. Since this was BMW's first EV the dealers really didn't know what to do with it and often times had to wait for someone from corporate to help troubleshoot.

The breadth of issues meant that I didn't have a case for a lemon law return because they would fix one issue (usually within 2 tries) and another issue would pop up.

I ended up selling the vehicle at a tremendous loss and vowed to never purchase an EV again. I still loved the i3 though and I decided to lease starting with the 2016 model year and have been leasing ever since. BMW really figured things out with the later years and now the i3 is rock solid.

That same trajectory happens with nearly every new production model. So the long of the short of it is, the longer you wait, the more issues get identified and fixed, and the more reliable the vehicle becomes.

Just be extra nice to all the folks on the forum who own Rivians right now and are beta testers for the rest of us so that we don't have to be when we finally get our R1 or even R2 vehicles. :)
Def who already took delivery are the trail blazer and helping get the product better.
thank you very much for your thoughts

wwheelkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Finance
Just took delivery last week and have on order the manual tonneau cover..maybe July? Not sure how this is going to work in the long run..to much of a pain to take on or off? I know the manual cover has a monster price of $1,800 so I can't imagine the cost of the improved power cover..$2,500 would be my guess. Also, would like to know if the power cover can be fitted with current trucks that came with no cover.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Just took delivery last week and have on order the manual tonneau cover..maybe July? Not sure how this is going to work in the long run..to much of a pain to take on or off? I know the manual cover has a monster price of $1,800 so I can't imagine the cost of the improved power cover..$2,500 would be my guess. Also, would like to know if the power cover can be fitted with current trucks that came with no cover.
Thus far, Rivian has been holding firm on no retrofits for previously purchased R1Ts without a power cover.

The only way you can get a power cover through Rivian is if you already have an R1T with a power cover. If it isn't working, they will replace it. Or,

You purchase a new R1T with a power cover when it is available again in production.

Outside of that, and/or Rivian changing their position, your best bet is a yet to be developed 3rd party solution.

I would not hold my breath on Rivian changing their position. Replacing the existing non-working Tonneau Covers is going to be very expensive and time consuming. The reason they stopped production of the power cover in October of last year is that they knew they had a huge future write-down for replacing the ones already in the wild and they didn't want to add to that by continuing to release defective covers.

Allowing a retrofit would be cost and bandwidth prohibitive. Even if they were to allow you to pay for the parts and labor (I'm guessing easily 5-10K) it would suck up all of the bandwidth of there already maxed out service centers struggling to deal with other issues with the trucks they have on the road.

It just isn't going to happen IMHO.

Sponsored

wwheelkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Finance
Thus far, Rivian has been holding firm on no retrofits for previously purchased R1Ts without a power cover.

The only way you can get a power cover through Rivian is if you already have an R1T with a power cover. If it isn't working, they will replace it. Or,

You purchase a new R1T with a power cover when it is available again in production.

Outside of that, and/or Rivian changing their position, your best bet is a yet to be developed 3rd party solution.

I would not hold my breath on Rivian changing their position. Replacing the existing non-working Tonneau Covers is going to be very expensive and time consuming. The reason they stopped production of the power cover in October of last year is that they knew they had a huge future write-down for replacing the ones already in the wild and they didn't want to add to that by continuing to release defective covers.

Allowing a retrofit would be cost and bandwidth prohibitive. Even if they were to allow you to pay for the parts and labor (I'm guessing easily 5-10K) it would suck up all of the bandwidth of there already maxed out service centers struggling to deal with other issues with the trucks they have on the road.

It just isn't going to happen IMHO.
I think you are right..it is hard to look at the designed space for the power cover and nothings there..may be getting more range because my truck is lighter...lol..I hope the manual one works for me, I would think Rivian would have done their homework on both covers this time around.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I was wondering why my ears were burning!

That someone was me - and my Guide Anthony broke the news to me a few weeks ago so @punjabi we are likely going to be waiting a while since you and I are in the same boat.

I was supposed to take delivery in DEC/JAN so I've been delayed now 6 months and it sucks but it's power tonneau cover or bust for me!

My least educated guess is that best case scenario it enters production by Q4. Worst case Q1 next year...
I will quietly and consistently remind them once again that you do not poke the 'Squatch'.

OP
OP

punjabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software
Clubs

price should be less if you are booked before the price hike.

OP
OP

punjabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software
Clubs

Today, I got below message from my Guide

It's Wendy your Rivian guide. I wanted to touch base on your preorder. As you may have heard we announced that we will be offering the ability to add a power tonneau cover (in the future) to R1T. This means you can order a vehicle w/o the cover now and take delivery of it....then when the power tonneau becomes available for purchase you can just work with the service center and purchase it, and have it installed. It is confirmed that we will be making a power tonneau cover that will be available for sale in the future. I don't know if you still want to wait for it or take delivery now, knowing we will in fact be offering the option to add it later.
I have no idea exactly when it will be available. other than sometime in 2024.

So they are giving option to install at Service Center.
Sponsored