Sponsored

Anyone had to replace a keyfob? UPDATE: FOUND IT!

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I somehow lost my keyfob. I know it's on my property somewhere. I'll likely find it someday. Maybe if I ever move. But after a week, have given up looking for it.

I called Rivian to get a replacement. Called service. For whatever reason, they're making this a difficult process as well. Not sure why. Seems like you should be able to simply order another key fob and get on your way.

They said they would open a ticket for it, then it has go through one department to another, then to another before they got back to me about then being able to actually order it. No idea how long it will take, but they sure made it sound like a lengthy process for something that should be so simple.

Anyone else had to replace theirs? Any suggestions on the quickest way to do so?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: 12/01/2022: TO MY ORIGINAL MESSAGE ABOVE, I JUST KNEW MY REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY WOULD WORK. AS SOON AS I GENUINELY STOPPED LOOKING FOR IT AND GAVE UP THE SEARCH. TWO DAYS LATER. FOUND IT HANGING ON A NAIL ON THE BACKSIDE OF ONE OF THE EXPOSED ROOF RAFTERS (NO DRYWALL). NO CLUE IN HECK WHY I WOULD HAVE PUT IT THERE. BUT, IT WAS VERY LATE AT NIGHT, WELL AFTER 3:00 AM AND I WAS TIRED AND NOT THINKING CLEARLY. PROBABLY HUNG IT THERE SO I WOULDN'T LOSE IT. I WAS CLEARING OUT SPACE TO GET THE RIVIAN BACK IN THE GARAGE FOLLOWING CONSTRUCTION WORK, KNOWING IT WASN'T GOING TO MAKE IT IN THAT NIGHT. JUST A GUESS AS I HAVE NO RECOLLECTION OF WHY OR EVEN PUTTING IT THERE. JUST HAPPY TO HAVE FOUND IT AS THAT'S MY PRIMARY WAY OF ACCESSING AND OPERATING THE TRUCK.

Still going to push to order another one. Never owned a car that had only one key fob included. Surprised that a $90,000 vehicle only includes one. Pay premium pricing and only get one. So, I'm going to keep the order in for a second one and hope I can get it. After over a week of being forced to use the phone as a key, which personally drives me nuts, so happy to be back to "my normal" operation of the vehicle.

Has anyone managed to get a key fob successfully replaced?

Will update as to the process for anyone interested as progress is made or not made!
Sponsored

Last edited:

staytuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Just here to +1 this question.

i was clearing land this weekend and it dropped off my belt loop.
Since the fob is the preferred device to hand to service/3rd parties, it really had me worried.

Fob was found, but the question remains

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

They updated my fob during service last week, not sure what updates a fob can get.

I understand the scarcity part, Toyota is rationing fobs because of their semiconductor shortage.

If it makes you feel any worse, I left my fob sitting on my rail next to the gear tunnel button while moving furniture a few months back, going 50 on winding roads at one point... It was still there 20 minutes later.

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I asked to buy a second fob and they are not selling them. Said very low on stock.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

EDITED ORIGINAL POST: 12/01/2022: TO UPDATE THAT I FOUND MY KEYFOB AFTER IT WAS MIA FOR A WEEK.

I just knew my reverse psychology would work. As soon as I genuinely stopped looking for it and have up the search. Two days later, founding it hanging on a nail on the backside of one of the exposed roof rafters (no drywall) No clue in heck why I would have put it there. But, it was very late at night, well after 3:00 AM and I was tired and not thinking clearly. Probably put it there so I wouldn't lose it!! I was clearing out space to get the Rivian back in the garage following construction work, knowing it wasn't going to make it in that night. Just a guess as I have no recollection of why or even putting it there. Just happy to have found it as that's my primary way of accessing and operating the truck.

Still going to push to order another one. Never owned a car that had only one key fob included. Surprised that a $90,000 vehicle only includes one. Pay premium pricing and only get one. So, I'm going to keep the order in for a second one and hope I can get it. After over a week of being forced to use the phone as a key, which personally drives me nuts, so happy to be back to "my normal" operation of the vehicle.

Has anyone managed to get a key fob successfully replaced?

Will update as to the process for anyone interested as progress is made or not made!

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
@kizamybute' you know that old saying…stop looking and you will find!

since the keyfob has BLE in it, they could conceivably add a “find my key” function to the app…

EBEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Pilot, 2019 Jetta
I'm not sure what the fob costs to replace, but when I picked up my R1T, the delivery person said "Don't lose the fob - it's really pricy."

atR1S

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Clubs

The local service station sent a mobile tech and installed a 2nd key fob for me. Maybe a month or 2 ago. I had to ask a few different times (guide, customer service, online chat) and eventually was told it was an option. I can't remember the bill off the top of my head but I think it was around $250 for the new fob and their time programming it to my truck. I didn't lose my original fob, just wanted a second one in case I do. Maybe I just had lucky timing where they had them in stock for purchase. I also think Rivian is trying to get the local techs some experience working on the trucks so that may have played into my fortune.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I'm not sure what the fob costs to replace, but when I picked up my R1T, the delivery person said "Don't lose the fob - it's really pricy."
My wife’s pup snacked on her Model S fob a couple of years ago, set us back $175 to get her a new one….

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

$250 sounds fairly reasonable. Last I remember, Tesla was charging $150 for Model 3/Y keyfobs. So, pricier than that, but if it's $250. it's still within reason. At this point, yes, simply want it as a backup, just in case I lose or break mine.

Is it even a part made by Rivian?

Mike Hunt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I got a second fob but had to ask a few times
Sponsored