Sponsored

Anyone know when Rivian switched to the new "front" subframe?*edit*

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Rivian replaced one of my dampers for popping during low speed turns and when going over thresholds.
Had the same problem, both dampeners were replaced.
Sponsored

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mercedes GLK 250, 2009 Mercedes E63
Occupation
Engineer
I took my R1T in for alignment issues. They ended up replacing the subframe and lower control arms. I had the welded subframe to start, and they replaced it with the welded version as well. VIN 14XXX
Was your steering wheel off center?

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Yes. Steering wheel is still off-center, but now to the right. I gave up on their ability to align it.
So essentially, new subframe, new control arms and steering wheel still off center.

Try the lowest setting and then the high setting and see if the steering angle changes while driving straight.

Itā€™s a new observation Iā€™ve seen in ours.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
So essentially, new subframe, new control arms and steering wheel still off center.

Try the lowest setting and then the high setting and see if the steering angle changes while driving straight.

Itā€™s a new observation Iā€™ve seen in ours.
I would expect it to change at those settings - they align it at standard height. Changes in ride high will change the toe as the control arms do not travel in perfectly symmetrical arcs, thus changing the steering wheel. However, they *should* be able to align it and have it correct at standard height.

I have an alignment rack in my garage that I do all of my track cars on. I'll eventually do the R1T by hand.

Sponsored

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I would expect it to change at those settings - they align it at standard height. Changes in ride high will change the toe as the control arms do not travel in perfectly symmetrical arcs, thus changing the steering wheel. However, they *should* be able to align it and have it correct at standard height.

I have an alignment rack in my garage that I do all of my track cars on. I'll eventually do the R1T by hand.
Yeah - I would expect it to change too. I am seeing some weird stuff on ours though.

Low setting steering wheels is off to the left by 2-3 degrees. High setting steering wheel is off to the right 2-3 degrees.

I am stuck between it being off in alignment, something weird in the suspension and it maybe being affected by inconsistent heights across each wheel side.

Or a damaged subframe.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Yeah - I would expect it to change too. I am seeing some weird stuff on ours though.

Low setting steering wheels is off to the left by 2-3 degrees. High setting steering wheel is off to the right 2-3 degrees.

I am stuck between it being off in alignment, something weird in the suspension and it maybe being affected by inconsistent heights across each wheel side.

Or a damaged subframe.
Different wheel heights (if extreme) is where I would start. Might also have an issue with the hydraulic sway control system creating unnecessary preload on one corner.

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Different wheel heights (if extreme) is where I would start. Might also have an issue with the hydraulic sway control system creating unnecessary preload on one corner.
Yeah this a table from measurements I just took. Seems a bit much and side to side is consistently higher on one side.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone know when Rivian switched to the new "front" subframe?*edit* IMG_0014

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Would you consider a difference of an inch side to side extreme?

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Would you consider a difference of an inch side to side extreme?
Yes, that sounds like something is off. Might need the height recalibrated At each corner.

Sponsored

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer

Rafyelle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Agreed ,may be issues with hydraulic sway control system

suprteck

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanic
I wonder how one knows if their welded version has developed cracks? I assume it would show up in alignment problems, noises, sagging corners, etc? Anything else?
Mines started making clicking noises when taking off and while turning the steering back n forth.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
But there have been a fair number of reports of subframes being replaced at service centers, so something must happen at least now and then, that results in complete replacement being the solution.
Rivian had trouble aligning my front wheels and had to replace the "old" subframe with the updated one. The work was covered under warranty. These early R1 vehicles are costing Rivian a fortune šŸ˜¬
Sponsored