Sponsored

Anyone used a ski rack for their R1T yet?

jewwithguitar

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Has anyone used a ski rack for their R1T yet? Looking for opinions on the Rivian/Yakima rack vs other options that would fit on the crossbars.
Sponsored

scottiedoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I got my crossbars and the yakima racks that were gear shop, I mounted them over the bed and my snowboard fit well. Installation was straight forward and the racks fit well with the crossbars. A bit tedious to tighten the straps and lock everything down, but it's pretty secure. If you had long skis, mounting on the roof might be the better option.

Just a tip, favor the rack to either side of the truck to make it easier to get access and make sure the rack opens toward the side it's nearest otherwise it will be a pain to open and lock if the button to release is near the center of the bed/roof, so just pay attention when you are installing.

The nice thing about the crossbars is I can remove those with the rack still attached a lot easier than removing the racks themselves when I don't need them. Just mount them for the season and leave them on the crossbars. Just remove the crossbars if you don't want them sitting on the truck the whole time.

I had a cheap rack brand in the past that worked ok, on high winds the snowboard would slide a little, so these are going to be a lot better than what I had before.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

We’ve got a rocky mounts one with a t slot connection. It’s a little close on the t slot, right up to the edges of the t slot extents. Skis hang off a bit, but I also try to keep them away from the window.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone used a ski rack for their R1T yet? 92837E8D-2613-4C7E-9CA7-8CD7805CCDA9

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Do the Yak Fat Cats also have a T slot mount for the Rivian Cross Bars or is it just the straps?

If no T slots, I may just go do the Rocky Mounts that @Andystroh shows above. Nice work on the early season turns.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Do the Yak Fat Cats also have a T slot mount for the Rivian Cross Bars or is it just the straps?

If no T slots, I may just go do the Rocky Mounts that @Andystroh shows above. Nice work on the early season turns.
Thanks.

I also had forgotten to mention I had to get some smaller spacers for the t slot bolts on the rocky mounts racks. The thickness of the rivian crossbars was a few mm too thick for the bolt to reach the plate in the T slot. The t slot kit includes a spacer, so I got some smaller ones to get it to reach.

this was the kit that converts it to t slot
https://rockymounts.com/products/liftop-euro-hardware-kit.html

so it works, but not an ideal fit with the spacer issue.

Sponsored

skookumracing

Site Sponsor
First Name
Skooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW i3, Volvo V90 CC
Occupation
Engineer

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

If one had a tailgate pad for bikes, could the skis rest against the pad with their tails resting in the front bottom corner of the bed? A single strap from left to right tie down hook might then pull the skis (gently) towards the bottom of the bed to keep them from jumping around. Thoughts?
… or is that like using a screwdriver as a hammer?

Deleted member 7086

I mounted a Rhino-Rack 566 on the crossbars above the bed. Had to get eight longer metric bolts because of the thickness of the Rivian crossbars. Easy install.

OP
OP

jewwithguitar

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Ended up finding a used Yakima Fatcat on Facebook marketplace for a nice discount. Broke on of the twist knobs that attach the universal mount to the fatcat, but it looks like I can just use a standard nut to tighten it.

What is everyone’s opinion on lateral placemet of the rack on the crossbars. I want to mount it closer to the side for easier access to my skis. This places one of the mounts over the telecescoping sections of the crossbars. Is this okay? Or is the telescoping section not meant to bear any load?

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone used a ski rack for their R1T yet? 0E0C57D7-E581-46A1-942E-5B2B11E19265

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Ended up finding a used Yakima Fatcat on Facebook marketplace for a nice discount. Broke on of the twist knobs that attach the universal mount to the fatcat, but it looks like I can just use a standard nut to tighten it.

What is everyone’s opinion on lateral placemet of the rack on the crossbars. I want to mount it closer to the side for easier access to my skis. This places one of the mounts over the telecescoping sections of the crossbars. Is this okay? Or is the telescoping section not meant to bear any load?

0E0C57D7-E581-46A1-942E-5B2B11E19265.jpeg
You should be fine for skiis and boards, IMO. Regardless, the only way I could get those telescoping bars to sit down without movement is to cross mount an accessory that bridges the telescoping part and anchors each end. No big deal but feels like one shouldn't be testing the 250 lb capacity on the telescoping part.

Heads up it is only 17" from front cross bar to the rear glass so be careful with longer sticks.

Bradburn

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Educator
Clubs

I mounted a Rhino-Rack 566 on the crossbars above the bed. Had to get eight longer metric bolts because of the thickness of the Rivian crossbars. Easy install.
FYI…I took those feet off my rhino rack, and the t bolt that’s included slid perfectly into the rack. Didn’t need to buy longer screws and gave it a clean look!
Rivian R1T R1S Anyone used a ski rack for their R1T yet? image
Sponsored