Sponsored

Article: New battery tech demonstrates 800 mile range in a Tesla.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
As someone who is totally new to EVs and was even resistant to the technology as quick as a year ago, stuff like this is really making me eat my words. EV’s have strengths impossible for ICE cars and my R1T is amazing as a drivers car.

The current tech is enough for my daily use and is better than a gas car. Cheaper(to run), faster and much easier to drive with one pedal. The thought of going back to an engine that lags when you press the pedal, has oil change requirements and requires weekly fueling is not a great prospect to me today.

That’s with a decade or so of innovation compared to 120years with ICE. As these new batteries come out that will increase range and make it cheaper to buy ICE will become extinct simply because it won’t be as good in ANY metric.

800 mile range, figure even 600 factoring in speeding and temperature, is probably twice what I’d want to drive before stopping to pee and stretch my legs. My current road trip vehicle is my SQ5 and I get about 450 miles of range At highway speeds the way I drive. I can’t make it a full tank, well I can but I’m holding my bladder to the point of pain for an hour before having to stop or I’m dehydrated because I didn’t drink anything and get a massive headache.

With demand comes innovation and EVs are where we are going to end up. It’s cool to still be earlyish in adopting one.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Haven't read the article yet to see if it's just the usual fluff-y "It's _right_ around the corner, but not here yet" type of thing, but... Here's a link that's not to Apple News:

https://www.slashgear.com/1135739/you-could-double-your-teslas-range-by-switching-to-this-battery/

EDIT: Have now read the article. Some startup has made a sort of hybrid battery pack that uses two types of chemistry, including an anode-free battery for high-density storage and LFP batteries for higher power output. They basically use the anode-free battery to recharge the LFP batteries on the go. Total pack capacity is 203kWh.

Not sure what the longevity/lifecycle is for that strategy. They were theoretically able to charge at 200kW, but I don't know if the whole pack can take that without negative consequences over time.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Haven't read the article yet to see if it's just the usual fluff-y "It's _right_ around the corner, but not here yet" type of thing, but... Here's a link that's not to Apple News:

https://www.slashgear.com/1135739/you-could-double-your-teslas-range-by-switching-to-this-battery/

EDIT: Have now read the article. Some startup has made a sort of hybrid battery pack that uses two types of chemistry, including an anode-free battery for high-density storage and LFP batteries for higher power output. They basically use the anode-free battery to recharge the LFP batteries on the go. Total pack capacity is 203kWh.

Not sure what the longevity/lifecycle is for that strategy. They were theoretically able to charge at 200kW, but I don't know if the whole pack can take that without negative consequences over time.
I mean, 200kw is pretty slow compared to a 200kwh battery. It's an interesting concept though, and I'm glad to see they've progressed from what was shared last year.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I guess they will have to prove the reliability of their tech but even at their optimistic timelines it's probably 2028 before a vehicle is produced with this tech. I think the demonstration they did is impressive.

"ONE aims to deliver a production-ready Gemini prototype battery by 2023, and the company expects to enter full-scale production at its brand-new 20 gigawatt-hour Michigan plant by 2026."

I mean, 200kw is pretty slow compared to a 200kwh battery. It's an interesting concept though, and I'm glad to see they've progressed from what was shared last year.
I mean it's 200 miles of range added in 15 min. They also didn't say that was the maximum, it's just what they demonstrated. My guess in this type of car you would just reduce the battery size to find a sweet spot in efficiency vs weight.

Sponsored

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
Apple News link, Slash Gear article. Very cool tech, who is ready to squeeze 250kW of battery in a Rivian.
I'd be more than happy with 180kWh before 2025 . . .

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
This seems like pretty cool tech and I'm all for us developing multiple avenues to improving charging/range/etc for EVs.

I'm a pre-ipo investor in Atlis and I'm pretty excited with what they're working on. https://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/

Techs like theirs plus this type of tech are really going to make the whole 'range anxiety' issue a thing of the past very quickly.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Glad to see people are working on things like this. However, regardless of range improvements, we'll still need even vaster improvements to charging speeds and the nation's charging infrastructure to make EVs more mainstream.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I mean it's 200 miles of range added in 15 min. They also didn't say that was the maximum, it's just what they demonstrated. My guess in this type of car you would just reduce the battery size to find a sweet spot in efficiency vs weight.
Yeah, I doubt we'll ever see 200kWh batteries in any mainstream vehicles. There's a sweet spot for weight, cost, and range that is probably well short of that mark.

EDIT: Clarifying what I meant by "mainstream": It's entirely possible someone like Tesla or Lucid will do it. No matter what the eventual cost of this style of battery though, you won't see it in a mass-market car like even a Tesla Model 3 or Y.

Last edited:

clcbjc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tahoe and Z07
I listen when car companies speak. A little different POV. https://insideevs.com/news/625111/bmw-lithium-ion-peak-solid-state/

One of BMW’s own top battery engineers thinks those days could be numbered, and that without adding something “game-changing” to the mix like silicon, we may be close to the limits of what they can currently do. But he believes lithium-ion batteries will remain the industry standard on a wide scale for many years to come.

“From an energy density point of view, I would say that we’re facing the optimum lithium-ion cell chemistry in an industrialized application” for large markets, said Simon Erhard, the head of energy, performance, and lifetime for BMW’s forthcoming Gen6 batteries. “I think it’s peaked.”

Erhard believes the “next big thing” in battery development is likely solid-state batteries.

“Let's say 10 years, roughly, it's all solid-state batteries,” Erhard said. “But nowadays, and let's say within the next three to five to eight years, we're going to rely on the lithium-ion battery technology. And then, let's say from 2030, there will be, from our perspective, an operational all-solid-state battery.”

Whether that means a demonstration prototype of some sort or wider-scale production is unclear right now, Erhard said. “To have solid-state industrialized and ready for a big market application, that will take its time,” he said.

Sponsored

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
I'd be happier if the focus was more on improving number of public chargers, reliability of public chargers and the charging speed itself rather than trying to make an EV travel 800miles on one charge. Who wants to sit in car for than long? I get bored after 100 miles and my pea-sized bladder can manage about 2 hours tops.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I'd be happier if the focus was more on improving number of public chargers, reliability of public chargers and the charging speed itself rather than trying to make an EV travel 800miles on one charge. Who wants to sit in car for than long? I get bored after 100 miles and my pea-sized bladder can manage about 2 hours tops.
I think the proof of concept here is just to show this type of energy density is possible. Then you use it and optimize the battery size based on the need of the vehicle for example a truck could have a larger battery to accomplish longer range when towing etc and a car like a tesla could have the same range but a lower weight and ultimately be more efficient.

Reactions: SDH

EzMev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old SUV
101% agree...for non-towing folks, 400 miles of range is the inflection point for the vast majority of American drivers. When we see EV's standardize on the 400mil mark, new ICE vehicles will cease to exist IMO...not sure how many years away that is, but seems like ~5 or so....2028 model year and beyond.

As someone who is totally new to EVs and was even resistant to the technology as quick as a year ago, stuff like this is really making me eat my words. EV’s have strengths impossible for ICE cars and my R1T is amazing as a drivers car.

The current tech is enough for my daily use and is better than a gas car. Cheaper(to run), faster and much easier to drive with one pedal. The thought of going back to an engine that lags when you press the pedal, has oil change requirements and requires weekly fueling is not a great prospect to me today.

That’s with a decade or so of innovation compared to 120years with ICE. As these new batteries come out that will increase range and make it cheaper to buy ICE will become extinct simply because it won’t be as good in ANY metric.

800 mile range, figure even 600 factoring in speeding and temperature, is probably twice what I’d want to drive before stopping to pee and stretch my legs. My current road trip vehicle is my SQ5 and I get about 450 miles of range At highway speeds the way I drive. I can’t make it a full tank, well I can but I’m holding my bladder to the point of pain for an hour before having to stop or I’m dehydrated because I didn’t drink anything and get a massive headache.

With demand comes innovation and EVs are where we are going to end up. It’s cool to still be earlyish in adopting one.
Sponsored