Sponsored

Backing up into tight garage automatically brakes and parks

scottiedoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have a pretty tight garage and I was attempting to see how much room I have left with the R1T inside. Due to some support poles in the garage, I have to reverse into it so I can open the doors. But I was immediately hit with several annoyances...

The first time I started to back up and got closer to the garage opening, my truck detected sides were getting close to the opening, it immediately made a noise to alert me, stopped the vehicle, and put it in park. This made sense since I have those Driver+ features turned on, so I went into the setting menu and started to disable things like rear traffic alerts, automatic braking etc. I put the truck in reverse and proceeded. The truck would move a little and then again immediately alert, stop, and park. I went back and forth with turning off and on settings, still would get a little further and then stop again. Eventually I backed up the truck, but if I have to do this every time to park my truck in the garage, forget it. It's one thing to have to jump through the settings and keep getting stuck in the middle is frustrating.

Maybe I am missing something and I am certain I have disabled all those features in the Drivers+ menu. Anyone else have ideas? Is it a software bug? If this is working as intended then I hope they offer some better support to completely disable the reverse automatic braking with a single toggle that is more accessible.

Any tips?
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
If you're lifting your butt of the seat (for better visibility) at all while backing up the truck automatically shifts into park.
Supposedly, if you release your seat belt prior to backing up.. it will not shift into Park if you lift off the seat.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
If you're lifting your butt of the seat at all while backing up the truck automatically shifts into park.
Most likely as I park mine into a very tight garage with no issues aside from proximity alert yelling at me.

It's pretty worthless when its inches, and instead I rely on the 360 degree downfacing.

OP
OP

scottiedoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thanks for your replies, I wasn't really lifting myself off the seat and I didn't have my seatbelt on. But that is interesting and will have to try it again. I do move to look behind me asI like to get a better look at the distance to my sides than use the cameras, I have to fold the mirrors in.

Might have to start everything over again and see if I can narrow it a bit more down, but at least from what I am hearing from both of you is that is possible other than some alert sounds, the truck shouldn't be stopping and parking itself.

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
I have a pretty tight garage as well and can get in without it auto shifting into park. The only time it auto shifts into park for me is if I open the door while its in drive. As an aside - I've become so used to this that I almost got out of my wife's GX the other day with it still in drive. Almost killed myself jumping back in to slam it into park. Amazing how quickly people adapt to new things sometimes.

Sponsored

Fezzik

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT PE, Rivian R1T, Nissan Titan, Mazda CX-3
Occupation
Self employed
Thanks for your replies, I wasn't really lifting myself off the seat and I didn't have my seatbelt on. But that is interesting and will have to try it again. I do move to look behind me asI like to get a better look at the distance to my sides than use the cameras, I have to fold the mirrors in.

Might have to start everything over again and see if I can narrow it a bit more down, but at least from what I am hearing from both of you is that is possible other than some alert sounds, the truck shouldn't be stopping and parking itself.
Almost positive it has to do with seatbelt not on and shifting weight on seat to look back. Had the same problem when we got ours in May. Posted question on these forums and several people pointed this “safety” feature out to me and it has not happened since. Biggest problem is not being buckled.

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

Are you talking about auto shifting into Park or auto-HOLD? When the vehicle comes to a stop, it does auto HOLD, which is essentially park. Is that what you are talking about? The only time I've experienced the vehicle auto shift into park is when I open the door. And, as others have pointed out, lifting your butt off of the seat may be the culprit (though I've never experienced that).

I can't think of any proximity sensor reasons that would auto shift into park.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
My garage is fairly tight and I've only ever gotten the chimes nothing else.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It sounds like you still have the auto rear braking turned on. There is an option to deselect to return off rear brake assist entirely.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Left foot very lightly in the brake pedal while backing up.

Sponsored

OP
OP

scottiedoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Ok, maybe then it was me without the seatbelt. I don't open the door as I know that will stop the truck.

Are you talking about auto shifting into Park or auto-HOLD? When the vehicle comes to a stop, it does auto HOLD, which is essentially park. Is that what you are talking about? The only time I've experienced the vehicle auto shift into park is when I open the door. And, as others have pointed out, lifting your butt off of the seat may be the culprit (though I've never experienced that).

I can't think of any proximity sensor reasons that would auto shift into park.
No, I'm not talking about the auto hold, it will actually apply the brake and shift me into Park. A message appears for a few seconds which I barely get a chance to see it because i am looking behind me. I will try to see what it says.

Left foot very lightly in the brake pedal while backing up.
I'm not quite sure I understand, you mean have the left foot apply the brake and have the right foot on the accelerator? Does that disable or change some mode?

Thanks everyone for the tips, this truck is full of surprises compared to my much simpler ICE that had none of these things.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Keep your booty planted in the seat and your seatbelt on. If you turn and lift up at all the truck thinks you have left the seat. Others have had a similar problem.