Sponsored

Bent the lifting point rail - how serious is this?

drbiggieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T - El Cap Granite
Long story short, the technician who changed out my wheels using a metal puck, misaligned the puck at its lifting point. This caused the puck to slightly shirt and create an indentation in the lifting rail. This is the rear passenger side.

I’m wondering does this need to be fixed, or is it a relatively minor issue? If it needs to be fixed, any suggestions on the best way to go about it?

I’m also planning to add rock sliders soon, which will further cover most of that area.

Rivian R1T R1S Bent the lifting point rail - how serious is this? IMG_2201

Rivian R1T R1S Bent the lifting point rail - how serious is this? IMG_2202
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
drbiggieg

drbiggieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That’s good to hear! I was pretty worried the puck will no longer be completely flush with the surface.

thanks

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Hmm I now see a slightly higher value in the magnetic pucks. I had gone with the o-ring ones because:
A. I'm cheap
B. I was worried about the magnets chipping/coming unglued eventually and being stuck to the frame.

But I agree that doesn't seem like a big problem structurally. Did they just not stick them in the hole first and set them on the lift?

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I would not be concerned about this.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
That’s good to hear! I was pretty worried the puck will no longer be completely flush with the surface.

thanks
It's nothing to worry about. Plus, after you install the sliders you can lift on those instead of the Rivian lift points.

Reactions: Jac
OP
OP
drbiggieg

drbiggieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hmm I now see a slightly higher value in the magnetic pucks. I had gone with the o-ring ones because:
A. I'm cheap
B. I was worried about the magnets chipping/coming unglued eventually and being stuck to the frame.

But I agree that doesn't seem like a big problem structurally. Did they just not stick them in the hole first and set them on the lift?
Essentially, yes. The puck moved on the jack and he couldn't figure out what was wrong, then the dreaded metal noise - and the nipple on the puck was chipped.

I now purchased two magnetic pucks from 1EV for this reason.

OP
OP
drbiggieg

drbiggieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's nothing to worry about. Plus, after you install the sliders you can lift on those instead of the Rivian lift points.
Yes, that's what I'm thinking as well.

Thanks for the reassurance - much appreciated!

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Essentially, yes. The puck moved on the jack and he couldn't figure out what was wrong, then the dreaded metal noise - and the nipple on the puck was chipped.

I now purchased two magnetic pucks from 1EV for this reason.
Magnetic pucks won't do any good if the technician still tries to set them on the jack and just hopes everything aligns. I take it the puck being used didn't even have an o-ring so there was no way to secure it to the vehicle?
Sponsored