Sponsored

Bike rack that works with cross bars on truck bed?

R1TSimon

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
Wanting to carry my e-bike. Any advice on racks that fit over the truck bed and will hold 50lbs
Sponsored

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
You can order the Thule Evo Fix Points with WingBar and the 187139 fit kit and support 220 lbs. There are a number of bike racks that are compatible based on the style you want -

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

1Up flush mount...they claim up to 75 lbs for each rack.

Rivian R1T R1S Bike rack that works with cross bars on truck bed? Image from iOS

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Canyon Red R1T, 2022 Blue Model Y,
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
1Up flush mount...they claim up to 75 lbs for each rack.

Image from iOS.jpg
These were also on my list, even though I went with the Kuat.

Advantages:
Kuat: Style, lockable, doesn't seem to hang off the back quite as far.
1Up: Higher load rating, cheaper

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these. I would note that at least with the kuat (though I reckon the 1up also does this), there is some wobble at high speeds. I actually think its fine, I can't see how the bike would fall, but it is unnerving. I also think part of the problem is that the rails "flex" - because they are designed to slide together. I solved this with a simple strap tied to a a t-nut hook on the other side and the seatpost. This applies a slight tension and keeps those bars from flexing at all, and the bike is rock solid even at 90mph.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

These were also on my list, even though I went with the Kuat.

Advantages:
Kuat: Style, lockable, doesn't seem to hang off the back quite as far.
1Up: Higher load rating, cheaper

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these. I would note that at least with the kuat (though I reckon the 1up also does this), there is some wobble at high speeds. I actually think its fine, I can't see how the bike would fall, but it is unnerving. I also think part of the problem is that the rails "flex" - because they are designed to slide together. I solved this with a simple strap tied to a a t-nut hook on the other side and the seatpost. This applies a slight tension and keeps those bars from flexing at all, and the bike is rock solid even at 90mph.
The wobble I see seems to be from the steering itself. I'll bet it would all but disappear with a strap from the front wheel to the down tube. The bike in front in my pic is an ebike, but only around 30 lbs.

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
I also have the 1up racks in this configuration. Lifting a 50lb bike onto the racks may be a bit challenging. I usually hold our bikes by the lower fork and bottom leg of the rear triangle to lift on and arms are fully extended while locating on the tray. Loading would be much easier on a hitch mount rack. A benefit of being above the bed is not getting sprayed with road muck.

Mtbaddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2019 Audi Q7
I know it’s not what you asked about, but keep in mind that the efficiency is significantly better with a hitch mounted rack system. I’ve used both hitch and crossbar mounted racks on my R1T and the efficiency was almost 20% worse (at highway speeds) with the rack mounted system. Also, the hitch mount is way more convenient for loading/unloading bikes. But I get that you may want bar mounted racks for other logistical reasons.
Sponsored