Sponsored

Brand new 250 miles and get “Service soon”, “All wheel drive unavailable”, driver assist unavailable

VFUNARI

First Name
vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Chief Scientific Officer at Cancer Diagnostics
So thank you to all the posts on this issue. I saw some posts on this saying service center insisted on flat bed with this error.

I love the truck and totally have patience for software glitches etc, but wasn’t expecting this. I submitted report and the call center who are not service techs said it’s fine to drive bring it in two months to Costa Mesa, cal. I was shocked they said 2 months. Somehow after a few days the system let me put it back in all purpose mode. Then on my next trip I got the error again and did a lot of research to find others have had this. So this time I talked to the call center and had a nice woman who I kept begging to check with service technicians. It was clear the call center are not experts in diagnosing and when they are phoning the service center it doesn’t seem like they are talking to technicians. After about 4-5 phone calls with her she got on the phone and said “you’re were right to be concerned and you’re right we need to get it on flat bed asap and don’t drive it. I’ll get you a rental car. “ so I’m so happy she didn’t give up…

But to all the other rivian owners I know service appointments at Costa Mesa,Ca are super backed up. But have others had issues with the call center not correctly diagnosing the problem and risk?

The towing was great, so was rental, but less than 250 miles and I was told they have no estimate on when to get it back. Further, they are not calling me with any update(it’s been a week) so have no idea what is going on.
Is this other people’s experience? Any suggestions? It’s very strange for me to have a brand new car and no idea when I’ll get it back or what issues really are.
Sponsored

RivianInVA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Unfortunately, this seems to be the standard since they are so backed up for service right now. I am still waiting (since January) to have my inoperable suspension fixed at the Richmond VA service center. Have not been able to get ahold of an actual technician to explain that my nonworking suspension is a safety concern.

I'm torn because I want them to succeed and these are the things we have to deal with as early adopters, but it would be nice to give priority appointments to customers with vehicles that don't work properly.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
You're in California...check the Lemon laws which are very consumer friendly. Typically on car this new, they have two attempts to fix and issue like this (ones that limit safety or drivability) or 30 days. If it's out f service for >30 days, you may be able to initiate the lemon and ask for a replacement. Unfortunately, you have to stick with the issue until you get the car back before you can even think about lemon (be nice to them in the process).

At least you have a loaner in the interim.

OP
OP

VFUNARI

First Name
vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Unfortunately, this seems to be the standard since they are so backed up for service right now. I am still waiting (since January) to have my inoperable suspension fixed at the Richmond VA service center. Have not been able to get ahold of an actual technician to explain that my nonworking suspension is a safety concern.

I'm torn because I want them to succeed and these are the things we have to deal with as early adopters, but it would be nice to give priority appointments to customers with vehicles that don't work properly.
Ok so it’s not just me. I agree I want them to succeed and being supportive but even as an early adopter with Tesla model 3, I dealt with the service center once the car was there. yes they had similar scheduling problems early but at least I was kept in the loop. I’m sure things will get better.
It makes me a bit worried that you are waiting 2 plus months with suspension issues. What if you bought the car to tow or for your mountain cabin in the snow. FYI I heard the call center is sensitive if the owner is concerned there is a safety or warranty breach concern and it’s a mandatory car for a family, they take it seriously. Last thing they want is an accident, with lots of documentation of concerns. Of course that means it would be serious enough for a flat bed tow.

OP
OP

VFUNARI

First Name
vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
You're in California...check the Lemon laws which are very consumer friendly. Typically on car this new, they have two attempts to fix and issue like this (ones that limit safety or drivability) or 30 days. If it's out f service for >30 days, you may be able to initiate the lemon and ask for a replacement. Unfortunately, you have to stick with the issue until you get the car back before you can even think about lemon (be nice to them in the process).

At least you have a loaner in the interim.
Funny I actually googled that I would hate to even think about it, but it’s a sad possibility. i didn’t know about the thirty day rule so thanks reluctantly need to keep in mind. This forum has been so helpful thanks!

since I had t heard anything for a week I called the call center and asked for them to follow up. Got a receptionist lady who left a vmail with no return number. She said the truck has not even been in garage. So no diagnosis even yet.

I love paying off a big loan for something that is just sitting collecting dust probably outside with no communication.

Sponsored

PowerBugs

First Name
Dru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Funny I actually googled that I would hate to even think about it, but it’s a sad possibility. i didn’t know about the thirty day rule so thanks reluctantly need to keep in mind. This forum has been so helpful thanks!

since I had t heard anything for a week I called the call center and asked for them to follow up. Got a receptionist lady who left a vmail with no return number. She said the truck has not even been in garage. So no diagnosis even yet.

I love paying off a big loan for something that is just sitting collecting dust probably outside with no communication.
I have my truck in the service for almost a week now and haven't heard from them since day 1.
My truck was running fine, had minor issues, mainly just the alignment and proximity sensor. It was something I can live with until they actually have the time to check it but looks like my truck is still sitting on the parking lot because during the day the cabin temperature was at 108°F last time I checked. Yesterday was at 100°
I know the South SF service center is super busy since scheduling can set you back to 2 months but if they won't touch your car, what is the point of having to bring them in? I wanted to drop off a day earlier or hours later than our appointed time but they don't accommodate.

OP
OP

VFUNARI

First Name
vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
I read another thread on the OC location having similar issues with their support.

Someone had suggested trying a different service center like in San Diego. I wonder if we should start some sort of thread? Maybe something like best service centers and ones to avoid.

I’m sure some of it has to do with popular electric car sites. San Fran and OC falling into that pretty easily. Only so many technicians at a service center. Like you, I wish I had seen that post about the bad problems at the local service center i would have asked for another.

on a positive I asked politely that they just call me 1x a day even if it’s 1 min. They can leave a vmail. At least I know I’m not forgotten. And today I learned that the diagnostic reports are actually sent digitally to remote engineers so they have no way really of knowing if the engineers looked and what their thoughts are?

GeezFullSleeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Clubs

I've had my R1T in to the Costa Mesa SC and your experience is pretty much what I encountered each time. No rough date of completion, no proactive communication to give you status. I did find, however, that if I called the main service line, they would try to ring up the SC (who never answered), but they left a msg for the SC to call me with status, after which the SC would call me back within a day to let me know what was going on.

sraina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Ok so it’s not just me. I agree I want them to succeed and being supportive but even as an early adopter with Tesla model 3, I dealt with the service center once the car was there. yes they had similar scheduling problems early but at least I was kept in the loop. I’m sure things will get better.
It makes me a bit worried that you are waiting 2 plus months with suspension issues. What if you bought the car to tow or for your mountain cabin in the snow. FYI I heard the call center is sensitive if the owner is concerned there is a safety or warranty breach concern and it’s a mandatory car for a family, they take it seriously. Last thing they want is an accident, with lots of documentation of concerns. Of course that means it would be serious enough for a flat bed tow.
Just curious if your truck has been fixed. I got mine last Saturday and had this same problem come up on Wednesday. Got a service appointment in San Jose and dropped it off on Friday. The service manager said "I have never seen this before" Also my FM radio is not working

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
So thank you to all the posts on this issue. I saw some posts on this saying service center insisted on flat bed with this error.

I love the truck and totally have patience for software glitches etc, but wasn’t expecting this. I submitted report and the call center who are not service techs said it’s fine to drive bring it in two months to Costa Mesa, cal. I was shocked they said 2 months. Somehow after a few days the system let me put it back in all purpose mode. Then on my next trip I got the error again and did a lot of research to find others have had this. So this time I talked to the call center and had a nice woman who I kept begging to check with service technicians. It was clear the call center are not experts in diagnosing and when they are phoning the service center it doesn’t seem like they are talking to technicians. After about 4-5 phone calls with her she got on the phone and said “you’re were right to be concerned and you’re right we need to get it on flat bed asap and don’t drive it. I’ll get you a rental car. “ so I’m so happy she didn’t give up…

But to all the other rivian owners I know service appointments at Costa Mesa,Ca are super backed up. But have others had issues with the call center not correctly diagnosing the problem and risk?

The towing was great, so was rental, but less than 250 miles and I was told they have no estimate on when to get it back. Further, they are not calling me with any update(it’s been a week) so have no idea what is going on.
Is this other people’s experience? Any suggestions? It’s very strange for me to have a brand new car and no idea when I’ll get it back or what issues really are.
Costa Mesa extremely backed up, 2-3 months, I am i the same boat, although not for the same issue. Makes me think they need another service center in OC somewhere. Any SD owners that know how far SD is backed up? I wouldn't mind the drive if it meant way sooner service.

Sponsored

OP
OP

VFUNARI

First Name
vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Just curious if your truck has been fixed. I got mine last Saturday and had this same problem come up on Wednesday. Got a service appointment in San Jose and dropped it off on Friday. The service manager said "I have never seen this before" Also my FM radio is not working
Tell them to call Costa Mesa and talk to supervisor pm me for name. Smart supervisor who handled this. Yes my radio and seat preference where tied to the modules they replaced which is tied to infotainment. The good news is we love our truck now. So as mad as I was with the service center, the whole process on communication. The lack of testing. 2x I picked up the truck and I had to turn around and tell them they fixed stuff and broke others. But I made a great choice to keep it, the quality is so much better than other ev, truck or otherwise from a new company. And the issues or problems like service center and infotainment are going to be solved just like early Tesla model 3 days.

So it is all connected. One of the first modules the tried had something to do with gps. I think that is somehow connected to this because there are some preconfigured things that you can’t override based on gps location and speed. They shouldn’t have to start from square one like me. It took them 1.5 months in shop to figure it out. If you don’t get it fixed in about 1-2 weeks it will be escalated. And that’s not necessarily a good thing. That means if the shop wants to do work they have to propose it ti the chief engineer assigned to your car. Which means it may sit and wait for the chief engineer to have a free moment to review and approve which may delay a fix by 24 hours then another 24 for next steps. A few times I was told after a couple days they were at standstill with car because engineer assigned (who was mostly remote) didn’t have a chance to review.
keep me updated I’m happy to align threads if it helps.

OP
OP

VFUNARI

First Name
vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Costa Mesa extremely backed up, 2-3 months, I am i the same boat, although not for the same issue. Makes me think they need another service center in OC somewhere. Any SD owners that know how far SD is backed up? I wouldn't mind the drive if it meant way sooner service.
This is what I would like is more transparency to viable alternatives LA and SD are not that far. When we bought our early model 3 we got the hold of a good Tesla support that early with model 3, they only had the Costa Mesa Tesla which was overwhelmed with model x and model s repairs, so I found out there was a Carlsbad location opening. It was easier for me to get it in there and I got my issue resolved, it’s just the amount of urgency and the wait and the concern for safety/warranty if there is one and like most people finding a sympathetic ear.
people suggested be nice and tolerable make nice as much as possible but if it gets out of hand meaning way more than you can expect for a non serious issue with new company and new ev car, then you need to escalate. Every person and situation is different. Let me know if you find an alternative, I would rather wait right now than bring it in if it’s minor because it could end up sitting a lot.

DesertRivian

First Name
NAYAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AUDI A8, TESLA MODEL Y & TESLA MODEL 3
Occupation
ONX HOMES

First day driving home from delivery center, I had same service issue My Delivery appointment is 2 month way at costa mesa. How long did service took to fix your rivian. They said they never seen this before.

OP
OP

VFUNARI

First Name
vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Talk to the service center manager at one point I was dealing with him because it escalated. Or Mo was the service tech assigned to me. Remind them about a brand new green r1t they had for 1.5-2 months in Feb. They kept replacing things until they found the multiple components. I believe it was mostly wiring issues with harness and accelerometer etc
Because I had seen this before under different scenarios that included a possible rear coupling problem that could affect warranty I requested they tow it. Also give them permission to do an extended drive after fixing things to make sure they didn’t miss anything. It’s very easy if after taking things apart they leave 1-2 things they haven’t checked. In my case my entire steering wheel buttons were dead. Pretty easy to figure out since the radio didn’t adjust volumn and you could do any driver adjustments.
But because you don’t know what the problem is and you get that warning that vehicle maybe unsafe. I would still art to argue that you do t feel comfortable driving until it’s safe. You are concerned about damage to vehicle and warranty damage. Also keep an eye on vehicle heat and charging while there. Newport gets hot middle of day. If your car is not vented or air cooled it will be 120 in the car all day. But that also means battery drains and if they are waiting on it. It may not get looked at, I had to keep checking my truck through app. One point I called and told them to plug it in over the weekend otherwise the battery could get damaged
also expect to lose your truck for a month especially if they say they never saw this and start from scratch.
The good news is those problems have gone now it seems
Hope this helps

cboullon

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

OK, new owner here (car less than 500 miles), and I just got the same message on my car. I have reset the car multiple times, and it still appears the message of all-wheel drive is unavailable... And yes, this did happen to me when I was in conserve mode and jumping to all-purpose while I was driving. Curious for the folks that had this in the past and had it serviced; how is the car doing now?

Rivian R1T R1S Brand new 250 miles and get “Service soon”, “All wheel drive unavailable”, driver assist unavailable IMG_4907
Sponsored