Sponsored

Bricked Rivian in depth (Now You Know Channel)

Have you experienced 12V battery problems with your Rivian?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T quad, large pack, 20ATs; 2012 Acura TSX
A terrible set of experiences with 12 volt battery failures documented in this YouTube video.

What are your thoughts on their complaints about Rivian CS claiming “certified tow trucks” and charging owners for what should be covered under warranty?

Do you think 12V issues is Rivian’s biggest reliability issue?
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

These guys are hacks I don't trust anything they say, watched part of one video that was claiming Rivian lied because they were able to mount a standard Yakima tent in a non-standard way. They have since released several more 'hit' pieces on Rivian, that are mostly BS.

There have been some documented 12V issues, especially recently after the latest update but I think it is still a small minority of users. I'm at 28k miles and nearly a year and had 0 12V battery issues.

joelster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
No 12v issues here. I will not be watching that video. Last thing I need is some finger wagging podcaster claiming issues with Rivian where there are none.

BTW, bricked means it's unsalvageable. A bricked iPhone is a paper weight or a 'brick'. A truck with a battery issue is not bricked.

Last edited:

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I voted yes because the latest ota failed to install with a 12v low battery alert. However i haven't had any performance issues related to the 12v.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I voted yes because the latest ota failed to install with a 12v low battery alert. However i haven't had any performance issues related to the 12v.
I keep thinking about doing some data collection here with my scope but it keeps reminding me that @OutofSpecKyle had said that his group was actually planning on doing something in this space and they had ordered hardware to do it.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I voted No. One day I had a 12V message pop up, but it was gone on next drive cycle and never returned. I do not consider that an issue. Weird maybe, but not an issue. If it comes back/causes me problems, then it’s an issue

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I keep thinking about doing some data collection here with my scope but it keeps reminding me that @OutofSpecKyle had said that his group was actually planning on doing something in this space and they had ordered hardware to do it.
As someone mentioned in another thread, we just need a 12V gauge like ICE vehicles have. Even have the app alert when the 12v gets critically low so you can start the vehicle up and get all the systems online and working.

Took about 20 min of driving for the update alert for the low 12v battery to go away.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
You tend to see more posts from people who are unhappy so it seems like that's the norm. We haven't had a day of trouble (no DC charging issues, no update issues, no PAAK/keyfob issues, etc.) But we also don't show up every day posting about how happy we are.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
There definitely seems to be an uptick in reported 12v issues in the last month or so, but I wouldn't take seriously anything those dullards say.

Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
These guys are tools. Not giving them any views.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Wonder if these Lithium based 12V batteries would be better suited for the Rivian. I remember they were selling these for Teslas as well and I read mixed reviews.

Shnork

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan rouge , Subaru Legacy
Occupation
pA
I have seen vidoes by these two before not even related to rivian and much of what they do is click bait . as a rule i avoid anything they put out

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I had to have my 12v module replaced but they towed it to the center and turned it around fast. There was never any talk about charging me for it either so I can’t give credence to that claim.
Sponsored