First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
We got this mount for our R1T. I was skeptical based on the quality of the item, but it has held up well and it doesn't cause any issues with the parking censors. We do have the Rivian provided plate mount attached to this product. We used stainless steel screws, which we purchased for both the front and rear plates.

https://www.brainexplodermerch.com/product-page/rivian-tow-hook-license-plate
This is a great product. I like that it allows me to use the OE front frame. However, they really need to ditch the black painted (doesn't seem like black oxide) fasteners that come with it in favor of stainless hardware.
Sponsored

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
This is a good thread to know about when you finally get a "fix it" ticket for not having a front plate.

Beware though if the plate is easily removable though as some kids will come along and steal said plate & bracket when you're at an Eye Dr. Appointment. Don't ask me how I know this...

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
I tried the Brain Exploder plate and it seized and was extremely difficult to get off without breaking it. And, the "quick remove" still leaves the clamp on the tow hooks, so it's not like it gives you the ability to use them without unscrewing things.

And the snap plate interferes with the 360 cams, which is a deal breaker for me.

I had/am having many of the same challenges with the BuiltRight plate - for whatever reasons, I'm having a hell of a time getting it not to interfere with one of the sensors. I've moved it three times and eventually my sensor starts tripping out. And it's no fun that it's eight screws (with two different Torx sizes) to move it each time, or to remove it if I need to use the tow hook.

I really want something with a strong clamp and a single security screw.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
FWIW, my Snap Plate seized and was extremely difficult to get off without breaking it. And, the "quick remove" still leaves the clamp on the tow hooks, so it's not like it gives you the ability to use them without unscrewing things.

I really want something with a strong clamp and a single security screw.
The snap plate doesn't use the tow hooks.....

https://everyamp.com/shop/snapplate-r1t-r1s-2022/

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
The snap plate doesn't use the tow hooks.....

https://everyamp.com/shop/snapplate-r1t-r1s-2022/
My bad, I was thinking of the BrainExploder mount. I also tried Snap Plate and wasn't crazy about the mounting system, I had an early unit with alignment problems which I was able to fix, but it still interferes with the 360 cam (and I didn't think it looked very good.) Fixed my original post.

(The lesson here for vendors is that I will apparently buy each and every plate option on the market, so go nuts.)

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
My bad, I was thinking of the BrainExploder mount. I also tried Snap Plate and wasn't crazy about the mounting system, I had an early unit with alignment problems which I was able to fix, but it still interferes with the 360 cam (and I didn't think it looked very good.) Fixed my original post.

(The lesson here for vendors is that I will apparently buy each and every plate option on the market, so go nuts.)
I think you are missing the main advantage of the snap plate..... When you have the snap plate if you happen to get pulled over for driving with no front plate because you let's say ..... forgot to put it back on after washing your truck.... you can pull it out of the frunk and snap it back on quickly to show the officer you DO actually have a front plate and put it back on in front of them.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
I think you are missing the main advantage of the snap plate..... When you have the snap plate if you happen to get pulled over for driving with no front plate because you let's say ..... forgot to put it back on after washing your truck.... you can pull it out of the frunk and snap it back on quickly to show the officer you DO actually have a front plate and put it back on in front of them.
I guess I don't place a lot of credibility in the existence of police officers who care enough to pull you over for the violation, but are so born-yesterday as to buy this defense.

In any case, my threat model is mostly parking enforcement writing tickets for the missing front plate, which the above approach does nothing about.

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
I had/am having many of the same challenges with the BuiltRight plate - for whatever reasons, I'm having a hell of a time getting it not to interfere with one of the sensors.
Might sound a stupid question but is it centered? Both with my current builtright, and my previous cheap n cheerful, all I did was visually make sure the plate is centered between the sensors. Physically measuring for the 1st time I see there’s roughly 1.5” on each side.

Rivian R1T R1S "Brutally honest" BuiltRight Industries License Plate Mount Review 51E70BA8-2FF2-4473-BCD4-5F3536F5A14B

Rivian R1T R1S "Brutally honest" BuiltRight Industries License Plate Mount Review 2F72AE31-65D1-4E00-A10F-C5340581DA74

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
BuiltRight does have an installation video.

I installed mine without watching it first and the bumper sensor went crazy. I relocated it after watching the video and all is fine now. That's when I noticed the rusting hardware😡

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rivy

Rivy

First Name
Rivy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LX570
BuiltRight does have an installation video.

I installed mine without watching it first and the bumper sensor went crazy. I relocated it after watching the video and all is fine now. That's when I noticed the rusting hardware😡

Just to note...my first try at the install was in the same location as the instruction video and the sensor still went off. I had the clamp all the way to the passenger side, and the "snout" in the same hole all the way to the passenger side as well. Nothing worse than studying the instruction video for a few days and then ending up with a different result.

More importantly...beer choice is below:
Rivian R1T R1S "Brutally honest" BuiltRight Industries License Plate Mount Review IMG-5744

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I don't have the BuiltRight license plate product, but did install their Rivian-specific MOLLE panel on my truck and I have to say I am so impressed by the engineering and quality of their product. I have no affiliation with the company, but want to give credit where credit is due.

timgradywy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC40 Recharge, CTS-V2, Triumph TR6.
I went with the BrainExploder. It fit perfectly using the factory plastic plate frame, I can't see it on my 360 cameras, and it doesn't impact the sensors at all. On my wife's car, we went with license plate stickers (now legal in CA).

EveryAmp

Site Sponsor
First Name
EveryAmp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
everyamp.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, & Model Y

Rivian is starting to roll out their update that resolves the front plate being visible on the 360 view, because the factory mount is also visible in that view. We haven't received the update personally to validate but have heard from other owners that the update removes the SnapPlate from view.
Sponsored