Sponsored

Can a paak Phone be locked inside a R1?

ThePineappleWins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Sports season for my kids, and coaching starts soon. Last year before I had my R1T I would lock by phone in my car since there is really no where safe to keep it when out on the field that doesn't expose it to dirt or baseball impacts. However I'm not sure how this will work when using my phone as a key. Can I pack the carabiner key in my sports bag and then lock my phone in my truck? How will the truck respond being locked with the carabiner if the phone is still inside it?

The key wristband would be great, can they be bought yet???
Sponsored

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Yes, you can simply leave your phone in the car, take the carabiner with you, locking the truck with it as you leave.

Unlock the truck with the carabiner upon your return.

Drive home and carry the phone and carabiner into the house. Paak will lock the truck when you get far enough away.

There was a time, a couple of software releases ago, that *occaisionally* meant that using the carabiner would "confuse" my Paak. Once using the carabiner I would have to physically press the icon on the phone - paak would not work.

NOTE: Never the other way round - the carabine *always* worked/s. And has apparently been resolved.

You'll be fine.....

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Close the app and it won’t function as a key at all.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Close the app and it won’t function as a key at all.
That has not been my experience. Bluetooth on and the vehicle recognizes the phone, even if the app has been force-closed.

Sponsored

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '22 M3LR, '09 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Turn off the bluetooth in your phone and leave it in the car.
Correct, if you turn off bluetooth it will not see the phone at all.

Surfinkal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Data Engineer
Leave your key (phone or carabiner) in car and use card or wristband to lock it.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
That has not been my experience. Bluetooth on and the vehicle recognizes the phone, even if the app has been force-closed.
You must have your app set for location services always on.

I have mine set for only when app is running. If I’m working around the house and close the app and the truck does not react to the phone. It will see it as the rear light will flash if I walk in the garage but it does not do anything.

Not sure about Android but if you have an iPhone with location services for the Rivian app set to only when app is running. You can close the app, put your phone in the vehicle and lock it with one of the other keys.

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
You must have your app set for location services always on.

I have mine set for only when app is running. If I’m working around the house and close the app and the truck does not react to the phone. It will see it as the rear light will flash if I walk in the garage but it does not do anything.

Not sure about Android but if you have an iPhone with location services for the Rivian app set to only when app is running. You can close the app, put your phone in the vehicle and lock it with one of the other keys.
Agree with this and it’s confirmed by the “App explanation” in settings

Rivian R1T R1S Can a paak Phone be locked inside a R1? 1679689806282

dl4060

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T (Quad/large), Maserati Ghibli Modena.
Occupation
Data Scientist
Turn off the bluetooth in your phone and leave it in the car.
While the would solve the problem, for me this is simply not a solution.

I surf pretty regularly, 2-3 sessions a week in the summer. I surf a bit less in the winter if the snow if good at Mammoth and Baldy.

When I surf, I lock a key card in a lockbox and attach it to the vehicle.

I have just activated the phone as key, I didn't have it before. To have to remember to turn Bluetooth off EVERY time I surf is simply an unacceptable solution. At some point I'm going to forget, I have other things on my mind.

I read about Tesla having issues with paak years ago. When I got my Tesla I enabled the app to ONLY work as a key to unlock the car, NOT to start it. I heard stories of people returning from a surf session to find the car unlocked. What was worse is that the car could have been driven away.

I specifically avoided having my phone as a key in my Tesla for this reason.

I just finally put the Rivian app on my phone after having the car since May 4th. I'm really hoping that this won't be an issue. I already locked my phone in the car purposefully, using the key card to lock the door, and it locked just fine. I didn't check to see if it would remain locked.

Can anyone confirm the the car will indeed NOT unlock if the paak is left inside? Given that Rivian is geared towards people who adventure I would have Rivian has figured all of this out. I also don't take my phone inside with me when I go to the gym, so I need this not to be an issue then either.

Sponsored

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

As Surfinkal said above leave your phone with BT on (and or fob) in vehicle and lock with card. Works like a charm whenever I am in the water. Card is obviously waterproof too. SC owes me a wristband, but card has been fine to tuck into leg of wetsuit for the last year.

ciderarchitect

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2018 Honda CRV
Occupation
Architect/Contractor

I surf pretty regularly, 2-3 sessions a week in the summer. I surf a bit less in the winter if the snow if good at Mammoth and Baldy.

I have just activated the phone as key, I didn't have it before. To have to remember to turn Bluetooth off EVERY time I surf is simply an unacceptable solution. At some point I'm going to forget, I have other things on my mind.

I read about Tesla having issues with paak years ago. When I got my Tesla I enabled the app to ONLY work as a key to unlock the car, NOT to start it. I heard stories of people returning from a surf session to find the car unlocked. What was worse is that the car could have been driven away.

I just finally put the Rivian app on my phone after having the car since May 4th. I'm really hoping that this won't be an issue. I already locked my phone in the car purposefully, using the key card to lock the door, and it locked just fine. I didn't check to see if it would remain locked.

Can anyone confirm the the car will indeed NOT unlock if the paak is left inside? Given that Rivian is geared towards people who adventure I would have Rivian has figured all of this out. I also don't take my phone inside with me when I go to the gym, so I need this not to be an issue then either.
I am pretty sure I have locked my phone in my truck using the key card without turning off Bluetooth or force quitting the app and it worked as intended.

dl4060

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T (Quad/large), Maserati Ghibli Modena.
Occupation
Data Scientist
As Surfinkal said above leave your phone with BT on (and or fob) in vehicle and lock with card. Works like a charm whenever I am in the water. Card is obviously waterproof too. SC owes me a wristband, but card has been fine to tuck into leg of wetsuit for the last year.
I am pretty sure I have locked my phone in my truck using the key card without turning off Bluetooth or force quitting the app and it worked as intended.
Many thanks guys!

I have nightmares of returning to Christianitos road or the Seashore in Newport or the HB pier and finding my truck gone.

What does make it scary is that the door handles are out when the car is open, which makes it easy for thieves to spot.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

I do this all the time. Daily in fact. Well, I used to... Over the past year, I have returned to the vehicle with door handles protruding about a half dozen times. Anyone could have gotten in and driven away. Service keeps telling me this is intentional, but I can't repeat the behavior for the life of me. It's too random for me to trust, so I have turned off proximity locking for my phone. Be warned.

Edit: same random behavior with the FOB as well.
Sponsored