Can I change Rivian Guides?

rapPayne

First Name
Rap
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Maybe my expectations are way off but my Rivian Guide isn't meeting my expectations. Can I change? And whose guide was an extra-mile kind of person? Give me a name to request, please.

EDIT:
In case anyone finds this thread looking for incentives, I found what I was looking for by accident. All I wanted from my guide would have been these links:

Rivian's main page for incentives: Rivian
List of tax incentives by state: What vehicle incentives do I qualify for? - Support Center - Rivian
List of charging incentives by state: What charging incentives do I qualify for? - Support Center - Rivian

Hope that helps someone.
Sponsored

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
No way Iā€™m letting you bog down my guide with your expectationsšŸ˜

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
Where exactly are they falling short?

OP
OP
rapPayne

rapPayne

First Name
Rap
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Where exactly are they falling short?
Rivian told us early in the process that our guides will be studied up on the tax incentives available to me and/or know who to talk to. Nobody's expecting them to be a CPA, but they can point us to resources. So when I got a guide assigned I asked them. Their answer was effectively "Go ask your tax guy. That's not my job." Of course they said it in a more professional way, but that was the gist. I had hoped they'd do more than the minimum for us. It just seemed like a half-hearted response.

I thought maybe another guide would be more proactive.

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

To be honest, "ask your accountant" is an appropriate response. It is a pretty big no-no to provide tax advice unless you understand both 1) tax code and 2) the individual's specific situation. I can't imagine any guide providing much more than 'ask your accountant'.

Sponsored

rkalbiar

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T , 2024 Rivian R1S
Not saying your guide is good or not, but pretty sure any guide would have said the same thing.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The response "Go ask your tax guy" seems reasonable to me and what I'd expect them to say. That being said, even if you really wanted a new guide I wouldn't ask. Just like I wouldn't want to complain at a restaurant and ask for a new server. Good way to increase the chance of spit in your food and a good way to increase the risk of your vin getting delayed. Be as nice as possible to your guide :)

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Rivian told us early in the process that our guides will be studied up on the tax incentives available to me and/or know who to talk to. Nobody's expecting them to be a CPA, but they can point us to resources. So when I got a guide assigned I asked them. Their answer was effectively "Go ask your tax guy. That's not my job." Of course they said it in a more professional way, but that was the gist. I had hoped they'd do more than the minimum for us. It just seemed like a half-hearted response.

I donā€™t recall Rivian ever promising that guides would give tax advice. Honestly they could get into trouble if they were doing that without being CPAs.

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
Hell, my accountant even tells me he has no idea with some of these things given the IRS is wonky on it.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

That's the exact answer I would expect. They are not qualified tax consultants.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Rivian told us early in the process that our guides will be studied up on the tax incentives available to me and/or know who to talk to.
They definitely never said that. Even if they did, they're only studied up on 2018-2022 taxes šŸ™ƒ

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
To be honest, "ask your accountant" is an appropriate response. It is a pretty big no-no to provide tax advice unless you understand both 1) tax code and 2) the individual's specific situation. I can't imagine any guide providing much more than 'ask your accountant'.
This is exactly how it works in my business - if someone asks specific tax advice, I have to preface it with ā€œI cannot provide specific tax advice for your situationā€¦ā€

That said, I did ask for a new guide and was politely and essentially told no. They werenā€™t switching me. While I wouldnā€™t wish this on anyone, I believe mine was laid off and I was reassigned a few weeks later and since then the process has been amazing so I do understand how it can impact your experience.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Yeah I echo everyone else that your guide really cannot give you tax advice. In fact if they were to give you specific tax advice it could be construed as practicing without a license which is a crime and can get Rivian corporate in hot water with the IRS. Just like how they shouldn't tell you if that red spot on your arm is a rash or something more serious, and how they shouldn't tell you whether or not you have a good case to sue your neighbor.

Besides, everyone's cases are different tax wise why wouldn't you want specific advice that directly applies to you?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Last edited:

tren01t

First Name
Lennert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Occupation
Chemist
I'll be your Rivian Guide for today. Here's all I'm allowed to say about the tax credit:

Without a binding contract:
https://rivian.com/support/article/what-vehicle-incentives-do-i-qualify-for
https://rivian.com/support/article/...t-impact-my-eligibility-for-the-electric-vehi

With a binding contract:
https://rivian.com/support/article/...EV-tax-credit-using-a-binding-order-agreement

This concludes my service.
You know, i would have to ask you for more Rivian gear swag for that guidance!
ROFL!
Sponsored