Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

They’re just car salesmen by a different name, nothing special.
I wouldn't necessarily say that, since they aren't trying to sell you anything. They are Customer Service Representatives, and believe me, I've dealt with CSRs that are both great and terrible.
Sponsored

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Yeah Kacey. That was my experience also. I had an unrealistic expectation that the guides were more empowered, more informed, more proactive. Your post is helpful because it shows my guide experience isn't unusual. I'll reset my expectation. I appreciate you!
I had a similar hope from the guide system but ended up with someone that didn't offer much help. Minimal outreach and responses that were basic and unhelpful when I had questions.

It's a missed opportunity. With better internal communication system they could at least have a set of informational emails that went out at certain times; VIN assigned, shipping, etc. Some of that stuff is coming from the central office, like "How to charge..." but if that were sent by a guide they would not have told me all about DC charging while the T was in the shop for a charging problem it was delivered with. 🤦

Instead it was like pulling teeth and I still get better info from the forum than I did/do from guide.

That's all to say that you may not improve your situation by switching anyway so I wouldn't bother rocking the boat.

911.1 Guy

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Dam Many
Occupation
Finance
They’re just car salesmen by a different name, nothing special.
I recently bought a 911 and my salesman was awesome. He was a true enthusiast and bent over backward to get me information and keep me informed to keep the stoke going. Some people are better suited to some jobs than others. A guide can either be perfunctory or enthusiastic and both are technically doing their job.

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
I don’t recall Rivian ever promising that guides would give tax advice. Honestly they could get into trouble if they were doing that without being CPAs.

Mine did. Nothing wrong here. The guides should know about the tax credits:

I asked: "About the tax credit, isn't it best I just use the new guidelines? I am buying a 2023 model, taking delivery in April this year, as per your previous emails. I don't care either way, but I apply for the $7500 on 2023 taxes in about a year, right?"

Guide replied...

---------------------
Hi Larry,

You will apply for the tax credit in about a year, yes, but since you signed the paper back in August of 22, the vehicle your taking delivery of this year falls under the 2022 rules for qualifying for the credit. Which is a good thing! Even if you file in calendar year 2024 for the year 2023, this full amount of credit will still apply.

We'll help you with any documentation you will need when you do file for that credit, when the time comes. The bosses haven't told us much about the new rules, but from everything I am reading our vehicles will not qualify for the full credit. By having that 2022 letter of intent in place, you won't have to worry about any of that.

Stay adventurous,
Rivian Guide

---------------------

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Mine did. Nothing wrong here:

I asked: "About the tax credit, isn't it best I just use the new guidelines? I am buying a 2023 model, taking delivery in April this year, as per your previous emails. I don't care either way, but I apply for the $7500 on 2023 taxes in about a year, right?"

Guide replied...

---------------------
Hi Larry,

You will apply for the tax credit in about a year, yes, but since you signed the paper back in August of 22, the vehicle your taking delivery of this year falls under the 2022 rules for qualifying for the credit. Which is a good thing! Even if you file in calendar year 2024 for the year 2023, this full amount of credit will still apply.

We'll help you with any documentation you will need when you do file for that credit, when the time comes. The bosses haven't told us much about the new rules, but from everything I am reading our vehicles will not qualify for the full credit. By having that 2022 letter of intent in place, you won't have to worry about any of that.

Stay adventurous,
Rivian Guide

---------------------
Providing documentation is not the same as giving tax advice. Your guide is also referring to the Federal credits and OP was requesting advice on his state tax credits.

Sponsored

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
Providing documentation is not the same as giving tax advice. Your guide is also referring to the Federal credits and OP was requesting advice on his state tax credits.
Yes, federal sorry. But my guide wasn't providing me a link to documentation. He was paraphrasing the rules as he understood them, which qualifies as advice. As far as state level knowledge, the guides can't possibly know every state's details.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Yes, federal sorry. But my guide wasn't providing me a link to documentation. He was paraphrasing the rules as he understood them, which qualifies as advice. As far as state level knowledge, the guides can't possibly know every state's details.
I agree that paraphrasing the rules could qualify as advice. My first thought when I read your guide’s email was that I would not want them getting that specific if I were Rivian. OP did expect state guidance and I had the same comment about that - not a reasonable expectation.

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
Thanks for your replies, but every person read something I didn't write. I said "Nobody's expecting them to be a CPA, but they can point us to resources"

I'm not asking for tax advice.

All I'm asking my guide for is "If you're a US citizen, here's a link to how to get your Federal incentive. Oh, you're in Oklahoma? Here's a link to the Oklahoma state incentives".

That's not out of line for us to think that someone at Rivian is maintaining that list somewhere. Nor is it out of line to think that a guide would ask the others in a team meeting or something where that list might be.
You are nit understanding that “tax advice” is strictly regulated and even the appearance of providing “tax advice” can get individuals and companies into serious liability. This is not a problem with the Guides, as it is not their job. The problem is with your unreasonable expectations. You can just as easily (probably more easily) google the information you are seeking, or….of course you can speak to a tax professional

OP
OP
rapPayne

rapPayne

First Name
Rap
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
No I wasn't and I said so in this thread multiple times. I'm sorry you misinterpreted my post so badly. Please stop claiming that.

OP
OP
rapPayne

rapPayne

First Name
Rap
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Mine did. Nothing wrong here. The guides should know about the tax credits:

Guide replied...

---------------------
Hi Larry,

Stay adventurous,
Rivian Guide

---------------------
That's what I'm talking about. I appreciate what your guide did. Wish I'd had him/her from the beginning but as others said, you can't switch guides. That's all I was asking about originally in this thread.

Sponsored

donaldbyrd

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S Adventure Pack, '22 Volvo v60 CC
@rapPayne I have the same question as you, but unrelated to the tax credit. From the thread, it sounds like you can't change Guides... or the requests to do so end up in a vacuum. It's actually just noted on your account seen only by you and your existing Guide. (literally just told that via Rivian Customer Service Chat)

Yes, customer service reps vary widely in their demeanor. So do customers. Nothing wrong with wanted/needing a bit more handholding. These vehicles aren't cheap and it's a stressful process. The ambiguity around taxes, cost and delivery don't make it any easier. Nor does trying to schedule car trades/sales, charger installations, etc. when you don't really know what's going on behind that "Delivery Scheduling Opens Soon" message on the website.

You're not out of line for wanting more in terms of customer service and it's ok if other folks require less.

Along those lines, we have Volvo and a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU. The research, purchase and post-purchase experience for the Volvo was fantastic. I don't hesitate to reach out to them and they're always super responsive. The Jeep experience was a nightmare. Never had a worse experience... but I was willing to put up with it because I love the thing. For the Rivian's price and costly inconveniences during this experience (delays, cost confusion, IPO invitation and subsequent dump), I'd assume we get more in terms of customer service. Zero parts of this experience have gone smoothly. My expectations are just off, I guess, and we should just be happy to get the car?

Last edited:
OP
OP
rapPayne

rapPayne

First Name
Rap
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
@rapPayne I have the same question as you, but unrelated to the tax credit. From the thread, it sounds like you can't change Guides... or the requests to do so end up in a vacuum. It's actually just noted on your account seen only by you and your existing Guide. (literally just told that via Rivian Customer Service Chat)

Yes, customer service reps vary widely in their demeanor. So do customers. Nothing wrong with wanted/needing a bit more handholding. These vehicles aren't cheap and it's a stressful process. The ambiguity around taxes, cost and delivery don't make it any easier. Nor does trying to schedule car trades/sales, charger installations, etc. when you don't really know what's going on behind that "Delivery Scheduling Opens Soon" message on the website.

You're not out of line for wanting more in terms of customer service and it's ok if other folks require less.

Along those lines, we have Volvo and a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU. The research, purchase and post-purchase experience for the Volvo was fantastic. I don't hesitate to reach out to them and they're always super responsive. The Jeep experience was a nightmare. Never had a worse experience... but I was willing to put up with it because I love the thing. For the Rivian's price and costly inconveniences during this experience (delays, cost confusion, IPO invitation and subsequent dump), I'd assume we get more in terms of customer service. Zero parts of this experience have gone smoothly. My expectations are just off, I guess, and we should just be happy to get the car?
I appreciate you, Donald. Great perspective and helpful. Thank you.
Sponsored