First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Coming from Andriod Auto, Google, etc. - I cannot understate how abysmal the Alexa Assistant is in the Rivian. The latest update that backends place search with Google now has turned it from useless to useful overnight. But still, Alexa gets in the way with speech recognition just trying to make simple phone calls. And I mean simple. - basic, common, simple to pronounce names, unique in my directory, etc. Alexa fails horrifically. Stuff that Google never failed at years ago.
Then there's this too... https://www.techhive.com/article/579886/amazon-is-shutting-down-alexa-com.html
Why is Rivian still messing around with Alexa? The obvious guess is that they're forced to through Amazon agreement or something, but I've never seen that written or confirmed explicitly. And if not that, how bad does it have to fail to finally move on?
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I haven't had issues with it besides just a network bug where the truck doesn't switch off wifi quick enough.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I love Alexa (and this is coming from and Apple Developer). The only issues I have had stem from the remoteness of my location. Every now and then Alexa is not available.

OP
OP

Jerm

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Did you even glance at the link you posted? It has literally nothing to do with the Alexa voice assistant.
My mistake- I was told by a friend it was ending and tried to find a reference. Please ignore the link. My point about it being a god awful assistant stands regardless though.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jerm

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Seeing any positive reviews of experience here definitely seems like it calls for a demonstration of how bad it is for me. I didn't capture how bad place search was (100% failure) before the software backend change to Google, but that is moot anyway now.
I'll see about demonstrating its inability to recognize simple names sometime soon. Not that I should have to prove it's terrible in order to justify a call for openness to alternatives though. There's a reason that AA and Carplay are go to solutions that should have been obvious well ahead of this misguided Alexa integration decision.

OP
OP

Jerm

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Makes perfect sense. You must be a professional in the customer support industry with such adept advice and personal projection. thank you so much- incredibly helpful.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I just want Alexa to leverage ChatGPT to finally give us Echo Silver. This could keep my son busy for hours.

drb19927

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4, R1T delivery anticipated 02/2023
Agreed. For me has been solid for car functions, making calls, changing the music. Location search could be better, but car gets better every month.

Sponsored

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

I say Alexa, she answers, "Alexa can not connect to the internet" or Can not understand. Meaning, all she knows is her name. Maybe I do not have the correct settings in my system, or do not have an account, or the dam thing is busted.

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
All has been OK for me so far but no voice text is definitely a pain vs my other vehicles which is so easy.